Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I think the difference in school quality is enough to select West Hartford over Hartford itself.
Exactly.

And I don't think that Parentologist is scared -- I think he/she is talking about concern for the OP's family. I mean, what's the logic of putting your family in an area that is known to be more dangerous than an area that's known to be safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM

43 posts, read 91,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Exactly.

And I don't think that Parentologist is scared -- I think he/she is talking about concern for the OP's family. I mean, what's the logic of putting your family in an area that is known to be more dangerous than an area that's known to be safer?
My family and the families around us have been fine for years. Random crime is pretty rare. Frankly, you're more likely to be subject to racism in West Hartford than you are to be subject to random crime in Hartford. People really just don't go wandering into the areas where crime is higher and those that live there are usually just trying to get theirs in that section of town. There aren't roving bands of Visigoths randomly pillaging poor denizens. I like living near the Mark Twain house I like the history of Hartford. I like that I can walk downtown to Bushnell Park or the St Patty's parade or just the bar scene there. I like that there's easy access to the highway. I like the small shops and I like my neighbors. Someone hit my car once and one of my "scary" neighbors was kind enough to point out who did it and help me get the police report done so that it wouldn't have to go on my insurance. I enjoy the mix of cultures and people. By your logic New York should be abandoned soon as everyone logically chooses safe suburbs over the dangerous grip of the city. Plenty of families are raised just fine in the city and people consciously choose to move there despite how much it blows your mind....

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
My family and the families around us have been fine for years. Random crime is pretty rare. Frankly, you're more likely to be subject to racism in West Hartford than you are to be subject to random crime in Hartford. People really just don't go wandering into the areas where crime is higher and those that live there are usually just trying to get theirs in that section of town. There aren't roving bands of Visigoths randomly pillaging poor denizens. I like living near the Mark Twain house I like the history of Hartford. I like that I can walk downtown to Bushnell Park or the St Patty's parade or just the bar scene there. I like that there's easy access to the highway. I like the small shops and I like my neighbors. Someone hit my car once and one of my "scary" neighbors was kind enough to point out who did it and help me get the police report done so that it wouldn't have to go on my insurance. I enjoy the mix of cultures and people. By your logic New York should be abandoned soon as everyone logically chooses safe suburbs over the dangerous grip of the city. Plenty of families are raised just fine in the city and people consciously choose to move there despite how much it blows your mind....
I agree with you in many ways. I'm a woman who had no fear, when I lived in CT, of walking down Albany Ave. at dinnertime in search of some Jamaican food. I think my husband may have been more wary than I was, and that's probably because I grew up in Montreal, which is a true melting pot. I talk to everyone -- no matter what.

But when it comes to school systems and a general feeling of safety, I was happy to be sleeping in my house in West Hartford.

My West Hartford neighborhood, by the way, had a mix of many different cultures and races. That's one of the reasons that we chose that neighborhood -- we enjoyed the diversity.

By no means am I saying that there aren't any good people in Hartford or any bad people in West Hartford -- I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that, in terms of the OP's wife and child walking around on a spring day, they might feel more comfortable in a town or city that's not known for its crime.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 31,853 times
I have lived in the West End of Hartford on Farmington Ave, and in West Hartford in Elmwood. Now I'm moving to the northern side of West Hartford near Bishop's corner.

My favorite place of all of these was Elmwood. Situated in the middle of everything. Short commute to Hartford, near the highway, tons of shops/restaurants/cityscapes. It was a great community in which we had a 4 and 1 year old when we moved out last year. The new community has no diversity whatsoever. I miss the diversity and closeness to all the shops/restaurants. Northern end of town is much more residential. Still very walkable, but there isn't much to walk to.

Regardless, if you are working on Farmington Ave in Hartford, I'd suggest living in the West End of Hartford or on Farmington Ave in West Hartford. You can take the bus right down Farmington Ave from your apartment to job. There are tons of apartment buildings along Farmington too. Hartford end is cheaper, West Hartford more expensive. In Hartford, the Clemens Place apts are pretty nice. Or if you have a lot of money, there are apartments in Blue Back Square in WH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut