U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,260 times
Default Thinking of moving to Cheshire from West Hartford...need advice!!

I am looking for any information/advice I can get on the town of Cheshire. Here is a little bit about my family and why we are looking to move.

We absolutely LOVE West Hartford however we are looking to move out of our starter home into a more spacious home now that we have a 1 1/2 year old and there just isn't much in our price range in a neighborhoods that we like in West Hartford.
My husband works in Bristol and most of our family lives in Norwalk and Stamford. We want to keep my husband's commute to under 25-30 minutes so we started thinking if we could get a larger home, closer to family it may be a double bonus.

Cheshire seems to be a town that would keep the commute to under 30 minutes and meets our other criteria of having great schools. We just don't know much about the town and coming from West Hartford, it doesn't seem like there is much of a town when we have driven through.

Here are a few of our questions....
Where is the closest BJ's, Home Depot, Target/Walmart, mall, movie theatre?
Is there a strip nearby that has nice restaurants?

Are there certain parts of town to avoid? We would ideally like to be close to 15 or rt 8.

Are there a lot of kids programs? Music classes? library classes? gym classes? swim lessons? sports sessions and camps?

Any information would be greatly appreciated to help us with this big decision!
Thanks,
Julie
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 AM

10,429 posts, read 7,461,368 times
Most of the shopping you'll need is in Wallingford/Hamden, including a BJ's. You can also go to Meriden, or for even more retail shopping options - Milford/Orange. All within a short drive.

As far as restaurants, there's a couple in Chester, and a decent amount in Wallingford/North Haven. Of course there's always New Haven, CT's best dining scene - and again, Milford/Orange have a lot of good eating options. There's also Middletown. There's no burgeoning food scene in/around Cheshire, but you don't have to drive too far for it.

You may also want to consider Bethany in your home searches in addition to Chester IMO. 20 miles from Bristol, excellent schools, good location, relatively affordable.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Thank you. Sounds like there are a few surrounding towns with more stores. Are they within 15 minute drive?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 5,919,190 times
I'm surprised that you would be priced out of West Hartford and not Cheshire, as Cheshire is an upscale community. I would think someone could get more for their money in West Hartford to be honest. What is your budget?

When searching on realtor.com for a home with 3 bedrooms under 325,000 Cheshire comes up with 32 listings, yet West Hartford comes up with 106.

Cheshire would be a good town for commuting to Bristol. The closest mall is in Meriden, there is also some shopping in Southington if you live in the northern end of Cheshire.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 AM

We are looking up to 375,000 however the biggest difference is Cheshire's homes in our range are mostly 4 bedroom, at least 2 baths and more updated inside. As for West Hartford, the homes in the nice neighborhoods that we would want to live in, that are under 375,000 hardly ever have 4 bedrooms and we would be lucky to find 2 baths!! Most of the homes inside need a ton of updating. If the homes are in a nice neighborhood, and more updated, they are way out of our price range. But we are certainly going to look in West Hartford. We are just finding more bang for our buck with cheaper taxes in Cheshire.
Thanks for all your input!!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 22,344,762 times
The reason you are getting more bang for your buck in Cheshire is that West Hartford is among the most desirable towns in Connecticut. There is a reason people are willing to pay more for a home there and that is the quality of the community and distance to major employment. Cheshire, though nice is not as convenient as West Hartford. You have to travel to adjacent towns for different things. This may not be bad but when you are use to running down the street for something and now you have to drive 15 to 20 minutes, you will notice the difference. Of course Cheshire is a great town but it is very different from West Hartford. Jay

Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 PM

24 posts, read 26,271 times
Cheshire is a wonderful little town. We lived there for about ten years. We especially miss the trail. Great schools etc etc but if your main objective is stores try the New Britain West Hartford line or perhaps Canton

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

I appreciate all the info. As long as stores, etc. aren't too far out of the way I don't mind. Our main goal is larger house with good schools in nice town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut