U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 36,667 times
Default Can you get unemployment if you move from another state

MY wife and I will be moving from Indiana to Ct. in March. She will have to quit her job. Will she be able to collect unemployment benefits? and if so. How much is it in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM

43 posts, read 47,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwatki1 View Post
MY wife and I will be moving from Indiana to Ct. in March. She will have to quit her job. Will she be able to collect unemployment benefits? and if so. How much is it in CT.
Not if she quits, as far as I know. She'd have to be laid off or fired for something non-criminal or negligent. I still think you collect from the state the job was based in though. So I guess the answer is no all around.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

434 posts, read 680,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
Not if she quits, as far as I know. She'd have to be laid off or fired for something non-criminal or negligent. I still think you collect from the state the job was based in though. So I guess the answer is no all around.
Not necessarily. I moved from NY to CT with my DH and was able to collect because NY has a following spouse provision. Basically, you have to show you had "good cause" to quit your job. You are correct that she will have to collect from Indiana.

Indiana does have a following spouse provision Can You Collect Unemployment in Indiana if Relocated for a Spouse's Job? | eHow.com

Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 5,919,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Not necessarily. I moved from NY to CT with my DH and was able to collect because NY has a following spouse provision. Basically, you have to show you had "good cause" to quit your job. You are correct that she will have to collect from Indiana.

Indiana does have a following spouse provision Can You Collect Unemployment in Indiana if Relocated for a Spouse's Job? | eHow.com

From reading that it seems that they would need to apply through CT not Indiana, as that is the state they are leaving, not coming to. Read the section under "Where to Apply for Benefits"

It seems CT does NOT have a trailing spouse clause for unemployment.

So....???? It's confusing but it seems like CT wont pay you for that.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

434 posts, read 680,577 times
The OP is leaving Indiana for CT. They could file before the actual move. But, my understanding is even if they file in CT, it is processed via the "home" state that they last worked in (Indiana)

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM

745 posts, read 841,465 times
Yes you'd file to the state the employer paid the insurance to; usually last state worked. If I was her...have her talk to her hr administrator...she can find out what temp agency they use (maybe its national) and they can set her up in CT. Maybe she's valuable enough to telecommute? Maybe once she starts talking to managers to prepare for the departure someone will know a job and mention her for it.Not sure what kind of work she does.If she's a good employee maybe they'd be interested in helping her learn a skill like payroll or billing. Hardship or spouse moves usually bring out the best in people.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM

297 posts, read 228,653 times
Yes, you file with Indiana, the state you used to work, not CT. That is if you qualify. Yes, most states allow you to collect even if you move to another state.

I think it's as simply as calling them and changing your address.

Last edited by wma152; 01-17-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM

I want to thank everyone for their comments. I will be moving to Hartford, as a Pastor. My wife works in the Insurance Risk department Old National Bank(An Indiana and Kentucky Bank). She would have to move, since I will be taking a church there.

Thanks Again

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM

745 posts, read 841,465 times
Is she an actuary? Ct is a big insurance state and it's one of the only industries hiring here. Where abouts in ct will you be located? In central ct have her start lookin on the websites for the Hartford, aetna and XL insurance. Depending on the area we have some large financials like ING that have in house risk. Most of the ones I listed have taleo based job search websites. If you sign up it'll alert you when something matches. She should def start before she has an end date. Even if she has to travel for an interview it'll be worth it. If it doesn't pull together she may want to get a paralegal certificate, the big ct firms all have insurance specific paralegals on staff as most do business with the local insurance companies.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Thanks a bunch TobinJ, this info is wonderful. The church I will pastor will be in Hartford, but we are looking to move maybe 15-20 min. out. Probably toward Rocky Hill etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut