Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
thank you for all the responses, I guess lol
I just wanted to know about the beauty of the state, what's to do for fun, and etc, I don't really care for the politics as much because I'm not going there with the mind state "your republican I can't talk to you" or "your liberal I can't look at you", I just want to have fun, take pictures of your state, and feel all the culture.
Refer to my post here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22659937-post4.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
What an interesting name. I bet you probably have a heart on for Valentine's Day.
Oh no you didn't!

== Me trying to be ghetto ==

That was funny though.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

249 posts, read 803,304 times
I grew up in Bridgeport. Yes, there are some beautiful places. However, I left simply because I could not afford to live in those 'calendar perfect places' that others have mentioned. Any city is nice to visit. But if you live and work there, it can be difficult. Regarding the perceived wealth of the area....well, so many people commute into New York to make the big bucks, and then out spend to impress their neighbors, that little time is spent nurturing young people...that's my way of saying with both parents away from home 16 hours a day, young people get into all kinds of trouble and the family attorney right there to fix things, it's not just 'poor people' causing the problems. Bridgeport was at one time the greatest industrial producer; in my opinion we couldn't have won World War II without Bridgeport and it's hard-working, honest, God-fearing people. Unfortunately, once these original people made a few bucks, they moved out to the suburbs and left the city open to whatever absentee landlords would allow. So, it's really just like any other city in that respect. In established neighborhoods, with owner-occupied houses, crime doesn't stand much of a chance. Oh, and I have been to Baltimore, back when people used to wash their white marble steps every day. And to Boston, New York City, Hartford, New Haven, etc. What I said about Bridgeport could be true of any city. Cities, like plants and children, need to be cultivated, fed, nurtured, and most of not neglected or taken for granted. I grew up within the sound of peacocks in Beardsley Park, ate doughnuts at Saint Mary's by the Sea, watched the storm tear apart the seawall at Seaside Park, I have photographed the historic buildings, one day even saw the elephants being exercised in Seaside Park! Sure, go to Bridgeport. Enjoy it. Stick to known areas and travel with a local person. Dress down to look less affluent, less touristy. (That applies to any city.) Oh, darn, now I'm all homesick.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
I grew up in Bridgeport. Yes, there are some beautiful places. However, I left simply because I could not afford to live in those 'calendar perfect places' that others have mentioned. Any city is nice to visit. But if you live and work there, it can be difficult. Regarding the perceived wealth of the area....well, so many people commute into New York to make the big bucks, and then out spend to impress their neighbors, that little time is spent nurturing young people...that's my way of saying with both parents away from home 16 hours a day, young people get into all kinds of trouble and the family attorney right there to fix things, it's not just 'poor people' causing the problems. Bridgeport was at one time the greatest industrial producer; in my opinion we couldn't have won World War II without Bridgeport and it's hard-working, honest, God-fearing people. Unfortunately, once these original people made a few bucks, they moved out to the suburbs and left the city open to whatever absentee landlords would allow. So, it's really just like any other city in that respect. In established neighborhoods, with owner-occupied houses, crime doesn't stand much of a chance. Oh, and I have been to Baltimore, back when people used to wash their white marble steps every day. And to Boston, New York City, Hartford, New Haven, etc. What I said about Bridgeport could be true of any city. Cities, like plants and children, need to be cultivated, fed, nurtured, and most of not neglected or taken for granted. I grew up within the sound of peacocks in Beardsley Park, ate doughnuts at Saint Mary's by the Sea, watched the storm tear apart the seawall at Seaside Park, I have photographed the historic buildings, one day even saw the elephants being exercised in Seaside Park! Sure, go to Bridgeport. Enjoy it. Stick to known areas and travel with a local person. Dress down to look less affluent, less touristy. (That applies to any city.) Oh, darn, now I'm all homesick.

Wish I could hear peacocks every night.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM

235 posts, read 783,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Wish I could hear peacocks every night.
I doubt it, they sound terrible. The birds' beauty does not translate into song...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
Expensive all year long, hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
I doubt it, they sound terrible. The birds' beauty does not translate into song...
I dont know, but peacock does sound quite creepy.... I really liked that. LOL

Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Expensive all year long, hot in the summer, cold in the winter.
? What is expensive all year round? I never think how expensive till people tells me it is around here. I can image we in our little world not knowing things were considered expensive, we might not focus and complained.

The summer is way nice than the rest of the country. Winter, for this year not too bad so far.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
? What is expensive all year round? I never think how expensive till people tells me it is around here. I can image we in our little world not knowing things were considered expensive, we might not focus and complained.

The summer is way nice than the rest of the country. Winter, for this year not too bad so far.
I agree. Outside Fairfield County the state is not as expensive as other areas. Taxes are high but you get what you pay for. Also there are days in the summer when it is hot but it is certainly not unbearably hot all summer long. And in the winter there are cold days and not so cold days. I prefer this to oppressive heat from May to October like you find down south. Jay

Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Outside Fairfield County the state is not as expensive as other areas.
Like what areas? We have the highest utilities in the nation, highest taxes, higher gas prices than even CA now, highest this and highest that. Let's face it, we're one of the highest COL states out there. It's expensive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut