U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 493,630 times
Reputation: 158
To me winter is like a break from so many bugs and spiders that comes in my house and sweatiness. LOL and can you stop mentioning Connecticut because complaining is so annoying... Why do you complain most of the north there are places with worst winter condition than here.... lord jesus christ!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
 
5,193 posts, read 3,580,612 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Where's your compassion?

This is why the world is so messed up, people not being considerate of those of us that suffer.

But don't worry. During Hurricane season, everything comes full circle. Ha!

To the OP, we are on the same page. CT weather is just not for me. I have been contemplating moving further south too. Whatever I decide to do (or not do), one thing is clear. Fairfield County is as far north as I'm willing to live and if I move out, it will be further south; and once that's done, there's no moving back north either. Burn the bridges baby, burn the freaking bridges!!!

You do understand that poster said he/she hated Florida. Their point was to the OP move...try it out and find out or you'll always regret it. I think the poster was giving good advice not being incompassionate.

So funny seeing these threads in winter. Remember folks..in the south its PURE PAIN in summer. It seems people ignore that part. I've done both..trust me on this the northern winter is more tolerable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
6,405 posts, read 7,550,953 times
Reputation: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I noticed that it gets dark much earlier than it does in the southern U.S. For example, today, in Hartford, the sunset time is 4:52 PM, but in Atlanta it is 5:58! They get an extra hour and 6 minutes of daylight. WTF?!
No, only some of that has to do with how far south Atlanta is, it has somewhat more to do with how close you are to a time zone boundary and when you're close to one, what side of it you are on.

If you are just to the east of a boundary, you have the latest possible sunset time for your latitude, but also the latest possible sunrise too!

Detroit is a good example of a city that's at about the same latitude as Hartford that gets this effect. They have a sunset time of 5:34pm, but they have a sunrise of 7:55am (yes almost 8 in the morning! Have fun going to work in the dark.....). Whereas Hartford's sunrise time for that 4:52pm sunset is 7:12am!

Now the more southerly latitude does give Atlanta a bit of an edge in total daylight, the sunrise time is 7:40am (still very late!), that's 10 hrs. 18 min. of daylight vs. 9 hrs. 40 min. for Hartford. But it works in reverse in the summer..... So in July you'd get more daylight up here and on average less heat......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
 
623 posts, read 412,772 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My ideal type of place with regard to weather pattern would be 50's and 60's at the absolute coldest during the winter (daily high temps).
You are describing a mediterranean climate. As far as the U.S. goes, you can find that in the central/north-central coast of California (ventura, santa barbara, san luis obispo, monterey, or marin counties) and that's about it. You can also find even warmer winters in the subtropical areas of course, but I doubt you'd be happy in, say, Florida. It's horrendous in the summer.

It's no accident that the former places have some of the most expensive real estate in the U.S, despite not having the benefit of being strong job centers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Norwalk, CT
5,368 posts, read 4,048,690 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You do understand that poster said he/she hated Florida. Their point was to the OP move...try it out and find out or you'll always regret it. I think the poster was giving good advice not being incompassionate.

So funny seeing these threads in winter. Remember folks..in the south its PURE PAIN in summer. It seems people ignore that part. I've done both..trust me on this the northern winter is more tolerable.
How is the South "pure pain" in the summer? I've been to the South many times in the summer and spent ample time outdoors and never had difficulty dealing with the heat. If anything, the CT cold is painful. Everytime I have to walk between my car and the office building, I'm constantly shivering and squealing, clamoring for heat. Me and my co-workers always have to walk very fast to make it to the entrance to the building because the cold in the morning is absolutely painful. It's 2 minutes of hell. Also, I have to sit in my car for a few minutes for it to warm up, shivering like crazy. It is not fun at all.

On the other hand, in the summer, when it's 90 degrees out, it's no big deal. Walking between building and car is no big deal. Just walk leisurely. When I get in the car, it's very hot inside, but it feels good coming out of a freezing, air-conditioned building. It's a great feeling, really.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 493,630 times
Reputation: 158
Sounds like you have anemia ^
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
 
623 posts, read 412,772 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How is the South "pure pain" in the summer? I've been to the South many times in the summer and spent ample time outdoors and never had difficulty dealing with the heat. If anything, the CT cold is painful. Everytime I have to walk between my car and the office building, I'm constantly shivering and squealing, clamoring for heat. Me and my co-workers always have to walk very fast to make it to the entrance to the building because the cold in the morning is absolutely painful. It's 2 minutes of hell. Also, I have to sit in my car for a few minutes for it to warm up, shivering like crazy. It is not fun at all.

On the other hand, in the summer, when it's 90 degrees out, it's no big deal. Walking between building and car is no big deal. Just walk leisurely. When I get in the car, it's very hot inside, but it feels good coming out of a freezing, air-conditioned building. It's a great feeling, really.
If you REALLY feel like say, Florida summers are doable, which I can't imagine considering how finicky you are, you could look into it. Real estate is dirt cheap as there are some areas with an unimaginably high % of foreclosures. Some places have lost 75-80% of value. There's also cheap airfares to and from Florida because it's such a common destination and there are a lot of airline deals, so travel is not a big deal IMO. It's also not a long flight from the northeast. Keep in mind that LIVING there all summer is not the same as visiting. I've never known someone that moved there and liked the weather in the summer. The winters are fabulous though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
 
Location: CT
1,723 posts, read 1,732,900 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I've never known someone that moved there and liked the weather in the summer. The winters are fabulous though.
Spot on. If you can swing it, get a place in FL and spend a month there in the winter, if you have the vacation time. It really is a BUYERS market right now in Florida (I know, an understatement...).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Norwalk, CT
5,368 posts, read 4,048,690 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Spot on. If you can swing it, get a place in FL and spend a month there in the winter, if you have the vacation time. It really is a BUYERS market right now in Florida (I know, an understatement...).
Would I be able to buy a decent starter home there for under $175K you think?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
 
1,371 posts, read 673,054 times
Reputation: 655
Much of Florida averages over 100 days above 90 degrees per year with extremely high humidity.(brideport, CT averages around 6)

It's brutal. HUGE difference between visiting and living there.

You'd be best off in California.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top