U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,451,471 times

Advertisements

Just to add to this list:

- Talcott Mountain/Hueblein Tower in Simsbury
- Route 189 in Bloomfield
- Route 185 in Simsbury, Bloomfield and WH
- The Merritt Parkway in general is always a treat for me - especially in the fall.
- Route 10/202 in Granby and Simsbury
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM

420 posts, read 1,003,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Route 1 is a terrible indication of beauty in that area. It's mostly ugly old shopping centers. The most beautiful parts of those towns/cities are off the beaten path.

Some of my favorite places aesthetically (not necessarily towns):

- Kent center and Kent falls
- Up Route 7, namely the towns of Cornwall, Falls Village, etc. up in the north for scenery, especially as the road hugs the Housatonic River
- Lake Wauramug, which is in the towns of Kent, Warren, Washington - also the charming nearby town of New Preston
- Roxbury and Bridgewater are attractive rural towns, as is Woodbury
- The main drag in Litchfield and most of the drive on 202.
- Greenwich Ave in Greenwich is attractive in its own right as sort of the Rodeo Drive of the east
- The backcountry of Greenwich, New Canaan, etc. if you're into ogling massive estates
- Downtown New Canaan
- Downtown Westport, the general Compo Beach/Longshore area
- Washington Street in South Norwalk
- Main Street in Ridgefield
- The drive all around the Saugatuck Reservoir in Redding and Weston
- The harbor in Southport (one of my all time fav's, breathtaking in the warmer months)
- Downtown Milford, the harbor, and duck ponds. The coast in Milford, Silver Sands boardwalk, Gulf Street/Gulf Beach area, Woodmont coastal homes. Milford is a prime example of one of the most beautiful spots in CT that most people completely miss because they stick to Route 1.
- Branford harbor area, the Thimble Islands
- The entire Yale campus in New Haven, the most gorgeous architecture in the state
- The gorgeous old mansions in New Haven, namely Hillhouse Ave (Charles Dickens and Mark Twain once called it the most beautiful street in America) and St. Ronan Street
- Downtown Madison/Guilford and the shoreline, including Hammonasset State Park
- The drive along the shoreline in Old Saybrook
- Mystic/Noank/Stonington. Old world New England coastal charm.
- Dowtown Essex
- The Goodspeed Opera House and Gilette Castle on the Connecticut River
- Downtown West Hartford, Elizabeth Park
- The mansions in Hartford along Prospect Street

These are the best places that I've discovered in CT over the years living here most of my life.
Good list, but a bit biased to the Western side of the state. I'd argue that Central/Eastern Connecticut are far more beautiful.

I agree with Jay and nep, Essex/Deep River/Chester/Old Saybrook/Lyme/Old Lyme are absolutely stunning. Just amazing. Suffield/Somers/Ellington is another favorite area for me. Rolling hills and old tobacco farms. Plainfield/Voluntown/Griswold/North Stonington/Stonington are beautiful too. Glastonbury has some phenomenal scenery as well (specifically South/East Glastonbury). Hebron/Lebanon/Columbia are so quaint and perfect. East Haddam/Salem/Colchester too.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,997,574 times
This video has some nice images of Milford:

Spinnaker Apartments - YouTube

Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM

145 posts, read 207,611 times
Around the area I live in it's very quaint and New Englandy.

Granby
Hartland
East Hartland
Barkhamsted
New Hartford
Norfolk
Colebrook
Sharon
Salisbury
Kent

Some shore towns like Groton, Old Saybrook, Mystic are nice but I don't go down there a whole lot.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM

777 posts, read 835,165 times
Default my 2 favorite drives

I like Route 80, heading east. You go thru beautiful rural areas in Killingworth, with a state park with nice hiking trails (Chatfield Hollow State Park; no admission charge till about Memorial Day), then through Deep River and then you can head up to Essex, Chester, Ivoryton - all beautiful towns.

Also, Route 146, out of Branford center; at one point you come around a curve and right in front of you are several of the Thimble Islands, eventually you come to the center of Guilford and its beautiful green. Before reaching Guilford, you go through Stony Creek, a beautiful part of Branford and site of the granite quarries where the pink Stony Creek granite was produced.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post

Also, Route 146, out of Branford center; at one point you come around a curve and right in front of you are several of the Thimble Islands, eventually you come to the center of Guilford and its beautiful green. Before reaching Guilford, you go through Stony Creek, a beautiful part of Branford and site of the granite quarries where the pink Stony Creek granite was produced.
That's a great drive, also Route 154 in Old Saybrook. Last summer, I got a Groupon for a Thimble Island cruise and then had dinner at The Place in Guilford. Awesome.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM

15,753 posts, read 22,035,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
One of the reasons we purchased our house near Pine Orchard is because of this amazing view.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM

140 posts, read 324,002 times
Did anyone mention Stonington? Not new Stoningtomn but the waterfront. A place from the past

Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck12020123 View Post
Did anyone mention Stonington? Not new Stoningtomn but the waterfront. A place from the past
Yup, it's great.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM

78 posts, read 99,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Route 1 is a terrible indication of beauty in that area. It's mostly ugly old shopping centers. The most beautiful parts of those towns/cities are off the beaten path.

Some of my favorite places aesthetically (not necessarily towns):

- Kent center and Kent falls
- Up Route 7, namely the towns of Cornwall, Falls Village, etc. up in the north for scenery, especially as the road hugs the Housatonic River
- Lake Wauramug, which is in the towns of Kent, Warren, Washington - also the charming nearby town of New Preston
- Roxbury and Bridgewater are attractive rural towns, as is Woodbury
- The main drag in Litchfield and most of the drive on 202.
- Greenwich Ave in Greenwich is attractive in its own right as sort of the Rodeo Drive of the east
- The backcountry of Greenwich, New Canaan, etc. if you're into ogling massive estates
- Downtown New Canaan
- Downtown Westport, the general Compo Beach/Longshore area
- Washington Street in South Norwalk
- Main Street in Ridgefield
- The drive all around the Saugatuck Reservoir in Redding and Weston
- The harbor in Southport (one of my all time fav's, breathtaking in the warmer months)
- Downtown Milford, the harbor, and duck ponds. The coast in Milford, Silver Sands boardwalk, Gulf Street/Gulf Beach area, Woodmont coastal homes. Milford is a prime example of one of the most beautiful spots in CT that most people completely miss because they stick to Route 1.
- Branford harbor area, the Thimble Islands
- The entire Yale campus in New Haven, the most gorgeous architecture in the state
- The gorgeous old mansions in New Haven, namely Hillhouse Ave (Charles Dickens and Mark Twain once called it the most beautiful street in America) and St. Ronan Street
- Downtown Madison/Guilford and the shoreline, including Hammonasset State Park
- The drive along the shoreline in Old Saybrook
- Mystic/Noank/Stonington. Old world New England coastal charm.
- Dowtown Essex
- The Goodspeed Opera House and Gilette Castle on the Connecticut River
- Downtown West Hartford, Elizabeth Park
- The mansions in Hartford along Prospect Street

These are the best places that I've discovered in CT over the years living here most of my life.
Awesome list, thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut