Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in Bridgeport, CT. Bridgeport is an ok city. Its not great, but its not horrible. I just got a new job in Milford and I want to move closer to it. I was thinking either milford or stratford, but I have not had that much luck in terms of finding a place within my budget. I have checked only online listings. Are there any other resources that i should be using?

I want a 1BR because its myself and my GF. I think I can convince her of a large studio with a good arguement for it in place of a 1BR but for now I am struggling to find anything in the 800-850 range thats not a studio. I hope that I am just not utilizing all of my resources and that there is soemthing decent out there.

I guess I am up here looking for tips because i have hopes that online listings are not the only way to go. I have my fingers crossed that I have not exhausted all of my options.

EDIT:
I guess moving somewhere else in Bridgeport may be an option too. I just do not want the environment that I am in now.(the management of my building is always getting changed and this time around standards have dropped)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 PM

21,593 posts, read 27,851,122 times
That is a tough price point for Stratford/Milford.

There are only 2 listings at that price point in Milford right now:

Milford Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Milford, CT Apt Rentals - Realtor.com®

The $875 one is actually in an excellent area.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM

63 posts, read 131,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That is a tough price point for Stratford/Milford.

There are only 2 listings at that price point in Milford right now:

Milford Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Milford, CT Apt Rentals - Realtor.com®

The $875 one is actually in an excellent area.

thanks so much. I was signed on the wrong account. The OP is mine. I guess I missed that. I have never lived in a house before and never really thought about that. Now part of my research will be comparing the pros and cons of multi-family homes and apartment buildings.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonzero View Post
thanks so much. I was signed on the wrong account. The OP is mine. I guess I missed that. I have never lived in a house before and never really thought about that. Now part of my research will be comparing the pros and cons of multi-family homes and apartment buildings.
That particular house has been fully converted into an apartment-style building. It's not like a typical 2 family. It's a short walk to downtown in a great, safe area near one of the most upscale neighborhoods in Milford. Not sure of the condition of the apartment, but you might have to sacrifice a bit for a great location.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM

327 posts, read 1,116,534 times
When do you have to look for a place by? $850 is kind of tight for Milford but like everything its negotiable.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,793,825 times
I think your best options would be West Haven, Ansonia, and Derby.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
When do you have to look for a place by? $850 is kind of tight for Milford but like everything its negotiable.

may 1st.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM

21,582 posts, read 31,026,244 times
I agree with the Derby/Ansonia suggestion.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM

I really dislike the valley. I have been up there quite a bit and it just does not do it for me. Shelton is as close as I would go, but not even since shelton is pretty pricey too.

I have decided that I prefer an apartment building over a house(would love to hear pros about a house from personal experience) and that I may try to go to the North End of Bridgeport. I would really love something in stratford and I ran into a few but they are just touching outside of my max price range. I really do not want to push it when it comes to paying bills, because I have done that before and it sucks. I may start looking in the West Haven/Orange/Milford triangle. I forgot to get a newspaper yesterday so I am still hopeful. I will get the sunday one and the one today!

Also, does anyone have information or tips on places on the Stratford/BPT line? I have heard mixed reviews. Anyone viewing this live in milford/BPT/Stratford? Tips?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Consider gas/car maintenance savings being near the job. Where is the job?

Why'd you decide not to check this place out?

1 Park Cir Milford CT - Home for Rent - MLS #98524039 - Realtor.com®

That place is an apartment building, not a house, and a GREAT deal and area. An extremely safe area walkable to downtown.

This image clearly shows an apartment style layout:

Honestly you'd be doing yourself a big disservice to not at least look into it. Places at that price RARELY show up in Milford, let alone in walking distance to the harbor and downtown in a great neighborhood.

This looks to be an older listing of another apartment in that building with better pics: http://www.westshorerealty.com/main/Rentals/Details/82 (broken link)

Stratford/Bridgeport line is not great. In fact, I like the north end of Bridgeport better than the west end of Stratford near Route 1.

As far as the pros/cons of a house, it all depends. If you're renting a whole house, it's more expensive. Nothing wrong with a multi-family, it's just apartment living on a smaller scale. Not a whole lot of cons if it's nice place. No neighbors, more privacy. Either way you have to deal with a landlord. It's all personal preference.

Last edited by Stylo; 01-27-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut