Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM

156 posts, read 278,022 times

Advertisements

My other half is 27 and has a Bachelors Degree in Business but lately has expressed interest in teaching middle school. We're trying to find information on how to get her started in a program but are finding contradictory information.

Are there any teachers on here who can help by making suggestions on what she needs to do?

Another concern for her is her age. She thinks she might be too old to start a career as a teacher. I told her that's nonsense.

Any help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Alternate Route to Teacher Certification

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
My other half is 27 and has a Bachelors Degree in Business but lately has expressed interest in teaching middle school. We're trying to find information on how to get her started in a program but are finding contradictory information.

Are there any teachers on here who can help by making suggestions on what she needs to do?

Another concern for her is her age. She thinks she might be too old to start a career as a teacher. I told her that's nonsense.

She can look into professional certificates through Southern CT which will require student teaching. My husband did that in the 90s and it took him a little over a year to complete. Kingswood Oxford also has an alternate program (ARC, I believe) she can do. She will have to pass a Content exam which can be costly as CT has high standards.

As for age, you are correct - worrying about it is silly. Many administrators like second career teachers so she has an advantage.

The only other advice I have (and it will drift into personal opinion) is to think if this is really what she wants. Like many places, the CT legislature seems to be in bed with education "reformers" and charter schools. These reformers are con artists with no educational experience who hold teachers responsible for every social ill and expect them to work miracles.

Most teachers are very dejected right now and just want to be able to TEACH again. The current high stakes testing mentality has taken away all their creativity and the theory that all children (no matter what their IQ or behavior) can master the highest levels of academics is beyond frustrating.

I'm not trying to discourage her, but this movement seems intent on making teaching a second class position…while holding teachers accountable for the results of poor parenting.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,337 times
Bah! 27 is not too old to become a teacher. Really?! Many current teachers are mid-career changers. She'll be one of the young ones. She has her Bachelor's degree which is good (and a necessity). She'll need to become licensed. Most teacher education programs are Master's programs (MAT or MST or EdM) and come with initial licensure. Some just grant licensure. But, seeing as how all Connecticut school districts require teachers to eventually earn a Master's, I'd encourage her to just get it done at the outset. A few universities are known for their teacher education programs in CT: UCONN, Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Eastern CT State, Central CT State, Southern CT State, Western CT State. Read all of the admissions info for these schools carefully. She will have to take the Praxis I before admission. However, you can bypass the Praxis I via high SAT or ACT scores from high school. Can she get access to these scores? Some programs require the Praxis II before admission, while others let you take it during the program. So be sure to read the requirements of each program very, very carefully. Teacher education programs are split between elementary ed programs and secondary ed programs (7-12) so middle school usually gets roped into the secondary ed program. But, I don't know what to make of her Business background. Most programs require your undergraduate degree to have sufficient coursework in your prospective field of study. For example, if you want to teach English, you have to have an undergraduate degree in English (or significant English coursework, more classes than a minor!) So for Business, I'm not entirely sure where this will leave her. I know I had business teachers, but I'm not positive what they got their degrees in. You'll have to do some research on this. If she has a field she'd like to teach (whether it be science, social studies, math, or English) she'll have to supplement any coursework she took in college with classes at a community college, etc.

I hope all of this info helps. I'm glad that your SO is considering becoming a teacher. It's a great field. If you have any more questions, post them to this thread! Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM

156 posts, read 278,022 times
Omg you guys are awesome. Can't wait to show her this tonight. I'll definitely be posting back.

Man this forum is alive and well. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Totally missed the part where she was 27. Good God go for it. My husband was 29 when he went from engineering to high school teaching. A few of his colleagues came into teaching in their 40s and 50s and he's known many ex-military coming in far older than your SO.

I know my post got a little negative. But if she really wants it, she won't let the junk that comes with it get in her way. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM

633 posts, read 1,644,782 times
I knew teachers in middle school at 22 years old.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post

I would highly suggest that she spend some time as a substitute first. Many people from business or with business backgrounds do not stay very long.

Right now many schools are cutting jobs so there are a large number of people looking for jobs in teaching.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Right now many schools are cutting jobs so there are a large number of people looking for jobs in teaching.
People are looking for jobs in EVERY field. Teaching included. But I'd say Education in and of itself got "spared" from the Recession in direct comparison with other professions. You have to be your own advocate. Jobs aren't going to fall in your lap. Evidence? Two of my friends just landed full-time teaching gigs right out of undergrad. Without a Master's.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Definitely not too old! I was in ARC (what's mentioned above) and at the time I was the exact median age of my cohort, 41! We had people in their mid 20s all the way up to several people in their 60s (one guy was 68 years old and went through it "just to prove he could do it"....and one of the other 60-somethings did get a job). Now getting teaching jobs in this tough fiscal environment is another story.....(though even the 68 yo guy subs a lot and he's 71 now). I also know teachers who went back to school in their 30s and 40s and became successful teachers. It's one of the more noted "second act" careers out there, so late 20s is certainly no barrier.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info about ARC or the teaching environment in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut