Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,239 times

Advertisements

Went to the Woodstock Fair over the weekend. What gorgeous weather! The Barnyard Babies Birthing Center was such a hit - it was always crowded around there.

We just love the Fair and wish we were there each Labor Day if we are unable to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
The Woodstock Fair is always an event in the northeast corner on Labor day weekend- one of the best in the country.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 AM

11 posts, read 62,189 times
Default move to woodstock?

we are thinking of relo'ing to woodstock. Any opinions good or bad? The mil rate is very low and that is one of the good things because although we want to stay in ct paying 8,000 a year in taxes is really annoying!!! Are the neighborhoods friendly? We have a 15 year old, 12 year old and 2 2.5 year olds. I am a stay at home mom and would love to have some neighbors to have coffee with! Please let me know any opinions! Thanks a lot!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Woodstock is a small town- it is becoming popular with people from very urban areas of the east coast, California and even the gulf coast seeking to escape the rat race, and hurricanes. All want a low crime environment, with peace and quiet, along with beautiful scenery. Woodstock has approximately 7,800 residents.

People in eastern Connecticut are perhaps the friendliest in the state. If you so enjoyed the town, also look into nearby Putnam, Brooklyn, and Pomfret.

The town has a 'sophisticated' feel, with a third of its residents holding a college degree. Many work at home and telecommute. Woodstock is mainly a rural, historic community with an agricultural background. Woodstock has more operating dairy farms than any other town in Connecticut. Support for open space conservation and the farming community is strong.

Your neighbors in Woodstock are more likely to be spread apart, then close together. Shopping will be in nearby Putnam- which has some restaurants of high quality, coffee shops and antique stores.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-09-2007 at 04:49 AM..

Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mom View Post
we are thinking of relo'ing to woodstock. Any opinions good or bad? The mil rate is very low and that is one of the good things because although we want to stay in ct paying 8,000 a year in taxes is really annoying!!! Are the neighborhoods friendly? We have a 15 year old, 12 year old and 2 2.5 year olds. I am a stay at home mom and would love to have some neighbors to have coffee with! Please let me know any opinions! Thanks a lot!!!
Since you have children, I would think you would want to know that the schools in Woodstock are very good. The lower grades are generally above the State average on the Connecticut Mastery Test scores and secondary students attend the highly regarded Woodstock Academy.

As for the taxes, Please note that just because the mill rate is low, does not mean that the taxes will be low. The assessment on the homes could be high and thus the taxes could be the same or higher than where you now live. Check real estate listings for the taxes on homes in your price range. I am not sure where you are living, but I believe you usually get what you pay for. You would be paying a lot more than $8,000 a year to send your 4 kids to private schools if you move to a town with lower taxes but poor schools. JMHO Jay

Old 10-11-2007, 01:35 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,239 times
Default MIL rate

What IS the MIL rate anyway? I can't seem to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut