Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times

Advertisements

A new jobs program for people trapped in unemployment - CBS News

Sounds like the results have been quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
I saw the piece and agree with you on it. Interestingly, though it's done from Bridgeport (because that's where the Fairfield County office of the CT DOL is), the piece said it was in Stamford.......

Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 AM

34,910 posts, read 56,885,111 times
I watched 60 Minutes last night (we had recorded it) and found it very interesting. Looks like a good program. I will say I was shocked that companies can limit people applying for jobs to people who are currently employed. Seems like discrimination to me and just plain nasty to me. I am going to ask a corporate recruiter I know about that. Jay

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM

Jay, Its legal, except for a few states who wrote legislation specific to the unemployed.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 AM

33 posts, read 52,026 times
Forbes magazine recently did an article about the best and worst cities in the US for relocating to, employment wise. The very bottom was Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk. (Not far behind New Haven-Milford was 11th worst).

Article here

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM

Forbes' article is just plain ridiculous. Stamford and New Haven (also on the list) are growing jobs not losing them. The article really does not indicate what they base this on which is often the case in articles like this. Stamford has several new companies moving in bringing jobs and New Haven has a growing medical research sector that is booming. Just look at the thread on New Haven development to see what is in the process of being built. Also New Haven has the strongest residential rental markets in the country. You don't get thst without job growth. Jay

Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM

5 posts, read 32,423 times
The very bottom was Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk.http://addled.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Forbes' article is just plain ridiculous. Stamford and New Haven (also on the list) are growing jobs not losing them. The article really does not indicate what they base this on which is often the case in articles like this. Stamford has several new companies moving in bringing jobs and New Haven has a growing medical research sector that is booming. Just look at the thread on New Haven development to see what is in the process of being built. Also New Haven has the strongest residential rental markets in the country. You don't get thst without job growth. Jay
Jay, it was based on a nationwide Manpower survey of employers. The accompanying article cites its sources in the first paragraph. If anything, the survey numbers would be slanted towards the positive - corporations are not normally inclined to overstate negative circumstances.

I'm thinking that there may be a tendency in your post to be dismissive about numbers that you, personally, find disagreeable.

Numbers are our friends. There was no campaign here to make them up, or to slant them.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM

JayCT"The article really does not indicate what they base this on" Jane-smith found it, as did I.

jane smith"Numbers are our friends."

Amen jane_ smith, and thanks, one person read the methodology used. And your sentence above is absolutely, always true. Especially if the message is bad, its vital the message be known early, as that allows time for corrective action, if possible. Finding out late is like finding cancer late; one is in damage control, at best.

Generally,methodology will be in small font below the article, and yes, that is where I usually skip to first. It won't be in the body of the article often, as the writer does not wish to distract the reader. But it will be there. So to dismiss the results, one must prove the methodolog was faulty.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM

If Stamford/Bridgeport are the worst in the country, then we are about to experience a massive growth spurt in the economy which from my understanding is not the case. Numbers are one thing but if you have a knowledge of what is going on with the economy in these areas, you have to question this article.

The variables are great in this type of ranking. I truly wonder if Forbes does this to get readers from a particular area or socio-economic group. They have predicted doom and gloom before for the state but yet it has not happened. As the saying goes "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure". Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut