Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM

26 posts, read 32,544 times

Advertisements

EVER HEAR OF GHETTO RICH? THE MONEY IS IN THE CAR; NOT THE BANK ACCOUNT.

Old money usually doesn't care. I grew up as a member of The Westchester Country Club (play Buick Open) and the workers' cars looked nicer than a lot of members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 32,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I just recently moved out of Connecticut after 55 years. People in CT are all about what you have instead of who you are. The haves vs the have nots, I find I just don't like that mentality. I will say CT was not always that way but developed over the years, especially the past 30 years. I never judge people by their cars or personal contents, I judge people by their heart. All the cars and personal items you own are going to Goodwill when you pass away and what people will remember about you is the person you were.
The best pizza in New Haven is Abates at least in my opinion but stay out of New Haven after dark.

Man you hit it on the head. I had a bozo ask me if I lived on the modest streets (said names) of Ridgefield. I told her no and said this street. Her face aghast 'but the car you drive.' A hubris moron.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
I found a very interesting article about the sales tax that was proposed in 2011 to be applied to all car sales of over $50,000. Here are the more interesting parts that adds to this thread:

Quote:
In a small state with 10 billionaires and thousands of millionaires, Connecticut is the land of the luxury car.

Quote:
Up and down Greenwich Avenue, the main retail street, shoppers can spot the most expensive luxury cars in the nation. Public records in the assessor's office show that Greenwich has 2,373 cars valued at more than $50,000 each.

Quote:
Greenwich residents own 87 Aston Martins, the spectacular sports car made famous in James Bond movies. The latest models — though they lack the machine guns and passenger-ejection seat in the Aston Martin that Bond drove in "Goldfinger'' — are readily available on the Post Road, the location of the state's only authorized Aston Martin dealership.

Records also show that Greenwich residents own 951 Porsches, 336 Jaguars, 107 Bentleys, 106 Ferraris, 80 Maseratis, 26 Rolls Royces and 5 Lamborghinis. The town's personal property appraiser, Ali Karimi, adds that residents also have more than 4,000 BMWs and nearly 4,000 Mercedes-Benzes. Wealthy residents also own four Maybachs, an obscure brand that can sell for more than $350,000 — a sum higher than the price of many homes in the Hartford region.

Just who is driving all these luxury cars? Billionaires, celebrities, current and former sports stars, financial kingpins, wrestling entrepreneur Vince McMahon, and former New York Mets baseball star Bobby Bonilla. Seven of the state's 10 billionaires live in Greenwich, and they all own multiple high-end cars. One of them, investor Paul Tudor Jones, has 16 cars registered to his family.
No Love For Luxury Car Tax In Greenwich - Hartford Courant

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM

63 posts, read 132,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You can also see tons of high-end cars being driven on Route 44 in Avon. It's ridiculous. Personally, I would never spend more than $25K on a car. It's ridiculous.

This.

I think its funny when I see teenagers with really nice cars. One kid I saw through a bank drive up(I used to work at a bank) showed up in a new 3 series BMW and could do nothing but complain about how his Acura RSX sucked and how he had to trade it in etc etc. Are you serious? You think that teens would get a corolla or honda or something.....not in Connecticut by the time they are 25 we are looking at ashten martin!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonzero View Post
I think its funny when I see teenagers with really nice cars. One kid I saw through a bank drive up(I used to work at a bank) showed up in a new 3 series BMW and could do nothing but complain about how his Acura RSX sucked and how he had to trade it in etc etc.
I am glad I wasn't behind this kid while you two racenteurs discussed his car, his previous car and the entire trade in process. I don't think I've ever done more than exchanged "good mornings" with the teller at the drive through-- but hey, this obviously happened and proves your point.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
I walked past a Ferrari in a parking lot this past Sunday. But I played it cool and pretended not to be affected by it.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am glad I wasn't behind this kid while you two racenteurs discussed his car, his previous car and the entire trade in process. I don't think I've ever done more than exchanged "good mornings" with the teller at the drive through-- but hey, this obviously happened and proves your point.
How cold of you. Last time I was at my bank, I was discussing sunglasses. She commented on mine and we discussed how routinely they're scratched, lost, etc. It was a good 5 minute conversation.

And RSXs do suck.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How cold of you. Last time I was at my bank, I was discussing sunglasses. She commented on mine and we discussed how routinely they're scratched, lost, etc. It was a good 5 minute conversation.

And RSXs do suck.
At the drive through? OOOkkk...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

519 posts, read 744,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I found a very interesting article about the sales tax that was proposed in 2011 to be applied to all car sales of over $50,000. Here are the more interesting parts that adds to this thread:

No Love For Luxury Car Tax In Greenwich - Hartford Courant

The funny thing about all those BMW's and Mercedes is they all look alike (same color) it's boring if you ask me.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
At the drive through? OOOkkk...
Ok - completely missed the "drive through" part. No, this was at the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut