Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalogirl12 View Post
No, I am moving by myself for a job in Stamford, but I have been looking at apartments there and I am only working an entry level position as a production assistant and the places I have scene in Stamford are more expensive then when I was originally looking to live in nyc. So now I need to figure out surrounding areas of COnnecticut or nyc that would be affordable for me to be living by myself and commuting to work. And since I'm from Buffalo I have no idea of the nyc or Stamford area, and google isn't a great help telling me if its a younger town and area since I am only 24. So I'm really looking for where a single young girl can live in or around Stamford for a reasonable price and with an upbeat live young community.
Is your job within walking distance to the train station in Stamford; or maybe your company has a shuttle bus that goes back and forth?

You can live further up the line in Fairfield, Stratford or even as far as Milford, but keep in mind the traffic on 95 is bad. In many cases, it can double your commute time. Maybe if you can find a place close to the train stations up the line, it will make your apartment search (budget wise) easier, and you can take the train. These towns are more affordable.

So I guess my questions are 1) will you have a standard 9-5 workday where you'll have to deal with rush hour and 2) is your job located downtown near the train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 68,506 times
I am located by the train but my hours will be crazy because I will be working in tv as a production assistant so some days I will be working til 6 some days i won't get out until 2 am. How late do the trains go? All night like nyc?? or just normal hours?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalogirl12 View Post
I am located by the train but my hours will be crazy because I will be working in tv as a production assistant so some days I will be working til 6 some days i won't get out until 2 am. How late do the trains go? All night like nyc?? or just normal hours?
I think the last train out of Stamford is ~2:30 a.m.: MNR schedules.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Younger and outside of Stamford on train line = South Norwalk (but also expensive like Stamford), Black Rock (part of Bridgeport near Fairfield), Downtown Milford and New Haven. Though New Haven is getting expensive these days in the nicer areas, but still a bit cheaper than Stamford. I think even Stratford gets a decent amount of young professionals because of its commutability, but it does not have the nightlife of the aforementioned towns - and perhaps not quite as many rentals in walking distance to the train station.

Black Rock and Downtown Milford might be your best bets if you're looking to save money and have a considerably lower rent. It's still not going to be cheap, this certainly isn't Buffalo and there aren't many truly affordable options unless you're willing to deal with a horrible commute.

The last train out from Stamford to those places is at 2:35AM. The only problem is those trains make EVERY stop, so it takes a while longer. For example, at express at rush hour, the train from Stamford to Milford is only 35 minutes, but the off-hour train is 55 minutes.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
there aren't many truly affordable options unless you're willing to deal with a horrible commute

.....or get a roommate. Honestly, if a PA pays what i think it does, the OP is going to find it tough to afford an apartment in Milford and the transportation costs to Stamford.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
If your hours won't be the standard 9-5, you should be okay living in Fairfield, Black Rock, Stratford or Milford, and commuting. Do keep in mind that there will be days when it will take you an hour to go 15 miles.

The area you're moving to has a LOT of traffic, and is VERY expensive. Just keep those in mind, go with the flow, and you'll love it here.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You might consider sharing an apartment at first. That way you can live near your new job and meet people from outside work. JMHO, Jay

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
.....or get a roommate. Honestly, if a PA pays what i think it does, the OP is going to find it tough to afford an apartment in Milford and the transportation costs to Stamford.
That's true. The monthly train pass would be $92. A room share is a good idea.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM

713 posts, read 759,802 times
You are going to need a car with those crazy unpredictable hours. Keep in mind if you decide to live in NYC, car insurance for a 24 year old is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
You are going to need a car with those crazy unpredictable hours. Keep in mind if you decide to live in NYC, car insurance for a 24 year old is VERY EXPENSIVE.
Trains run from Stamford almost all hours. There's just that lull after 2:30AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut