Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

skytrekker - I am not referring to California's housing market which I know is having problems. I am referring to the rest of its economy which seems to be much broader and deeper than Florida's. California has a huge job/industry base that seems to be resilent. Their housing market tanked because they had such an enormous increase in housing values in a short period of time. That type of increase is not sustainable for a long period of time, so it had to end. The rest of their economy is doing well. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Much of California's growth in this decade has been predicated on real estate- with the huge run up in real estate prices- with image happy Californians- going for the biggest SUV- sports car, new and bigger home, the right vacation, etc. Adding billions to the economy, from equity withdrawal or MEW. Thats over now- with home sales in L.A county falling 50% compared to a year ago-yikes

I think it is fair to say the California has a diverse economy- however that does not mean it is immune from a recession. Silicon valley in the bay area has and will always be a hot bed of innovation- but one must also stress that much of the manufacturing is now being done overseas.

Housing prices in just about all of California including the IE (Inland Empire) is overpriced based on income.

Florida also is vulnerable- more so then California, since its growth was not in 'thought capital' as California and the northeast, but more on in migration because it was so 'cheap'. That illusion is now ending as well-since most of Florida's growth has been dependent on real estate and tourism.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-10-2007 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 AM

31 posts, read 185,771 times
It has gotten so crowded down here ... It amazes me how they allow houses to be built 12ft apart and then there are those with zero lot lines. The sad thing is that builders are still putting in planned development areas - ripping out the country side for a few bucks and now no one is buying them due to the economy here.

I am so looking forward to getting out of this deed restricted state and back where zoning laws make sense and get some elbow room!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
Well...you're not going to have any more elbow room in an apt. in CT than you will in one in Fl...based on the salary figures you posted, you really won't be able to buy that nicely zoned home here.

Not being nasty, just real, sorry. I don't like FL myself so I hear ya there.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Well...you're not going to have any more elbow room in an apt. in CT than you will in one in Fl...based on the salary figures you posted, you really won't be able to buy that nicely zoned home here.

Not being nasty, just real, sorry. I don't like FL myself so I hear ya there.
I don't live in an apartment here in FL. I have a 1600sqft house on what I call a post stamp size lot; and I plan on putting it on the market next year. When it sells I'm moving. I will work two jobs in CT if needed to get back to where I feel is "home".

If there is a will, there is a way!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM

366 posts, read 780,291 times
TisMe1020... My mom moved to the Tampa area (Clearwater) 8 years ago and is always telling me how much worse the traffic has gotten, and that the summers have also become much hotter. The area has grown tremendously, hasn't it?

Anyway, I work in Newtown and forget the real estate taxes, the price of homes here has gone through the roof in the past 8 years! The new homes being built here are mostly in the $500,000 and up range. That has pushed the value of even the older homes way up.

So, you're right on to be looking at New Milford or Southbury. I think prices are probably a bit more reasonable in New Milford, so you might have more to choose from or be able to get a slightly larger home and/or yard.

The mill rate in New Milford is 26.16, so taxes on a $300,000 home would be approximately $6300, if I'm figuring it correctly. I just did a quick google search on average CT homeowners insurance rates and came across the figure of $800, but have no way to verify, sorry.

Best of luck with your plan. I hope you are able to sell your house when you're ready.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM

CTlibrarian - your mom is correct... traffic here is terrible!! But I must put it in perpestive: When I lived in Newtown, I also worked in Newtown. My commute back then was all of five miles and I took the back roads to Rt25. I was lucky if I saw a jogger, wild turkey or even a school bus. I-84 can compare to my trip to work on I-4. So I was very spoiled in Ct with a very very short commute.

This summer has been the most hottest-humid weather that I could put up with. The long timers here said it was the worse they can remember. I just got my electric bill and it was $238. That is the highest it has ever been ... I compared my usage on my bill to the rates at Northeast Utility and if I lived in CT my bill would have been $300. I do that so that I won't be in shock with my first electric bill in Ct.

I think you are about right on the house insurance cost. We are keeping an eye on the homes in New Milford and Southbury... I also have thoughts of New Fairfield because I did live there for about 6years and liked it.

I hope next year the market improves a bit... I'm not expecting to come ahead in this sell but breaking even would be nice.

Its kinda funny that in Ct the veggie gardens are pretty much on their way out. I have planter boxes for my garden and will be starting my tomatoes and lettuce greens within a couple of weeks as soon as the humidity eases up.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:57 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post

Anyway, I work in Newtown and forget the real estate taxes, the price of homes here has gone through the roof in the past 8 years! The new homes being built here are mostly in the $500,000 and up range. That has pushed the value of even the older homes way up.

The mill rate in New Milford is 26.16, so taxes on a $300,000 home would be approximately $6300, if I'm figuring it correctly. I just did a quick google search on average CT homeowners insurance rates and came across the figure of $800, but have no way to verify, sorry.
The mill rate in New Milford is 21.34, so taxes on can range for a $300,000 home between $3300-$4000.

CTlibrarian is right saying most new construction is over $500,000. The average price for a single family home built since 2006 is $1,062,041 according to the MLS but the average for a home built since 2000 is a more affordable $982,035. There are a few homes built since 2000 under $500,000 near the lake where there are older homes that were once summer cottages.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
... the average for a home built since 2000 is a more affordable $982,035.
I think just shy of a million is not what most people regard as affordable, more or less.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 PM

$982,035 is no where near my price range of $300k or less. If all else fails I will rent until I find the home to buy that I can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut