Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,150 times

Advertisements

I work at ESPN and am looking to buy a house close by. I found a great house in New Britain (specifically right off 84 by Slater Rd). I've been hearing some not so great things about New Britain but it seems to be mostly the downtown area. Are there any additional causes for concern with New Britain that I should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I live in Plainville, within 2 miles away from there. New Britain in general is not a desirable city to live in, but it has a few areas that are not so bad. The northeastern section of the city is alright. And the area that you are talking about buying a house is one of the better areas, I believe. I can tell, simply from looking around in Google Street View. The bad area of New Britain is near downtown, near Routes 72 and 9, I believe. I think the area you are looking in has a very large Polish population. The Polish people don't cause crimes and keep their properties looking decent.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Check out that area before even considering a buy. That area has more than its share of rough blocks. I have a family member who teaches at one of the elementary schools on Slater Road. Every day she drives past the Osgood housing projects. Closer to the school just parallel to Slater is Malinowski Circle, lined with more public housing. You do have many single-family houses nearby, but this is where most of the city's housing projects are. Mount Pleasant projects are in this area and these are especially bad. You do have some really nice areas in NB, but this is not one of them.

If you want to be close to 84 on the western side of town, try to stay south of route 72 and west of Walnut Hill park. This area is nice and there isn't nearly as much crime here. The northeast part of town is also nice -closer to the golf course and Stanley Park. These are older areas with larger homes so it will probably cost more.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humynpuddyng View Post
I work at ESPN and am looking to buy a house close by. I found a great house in New Britain (specifically right off 84 by Slater Rd). I've been hearing some not so great things about New Britain but it seems to be mostly the downtown area. Are there any additional causes for concern with New Britain that I should be aware of?
Hard to say without knowing the # Slater road comes close to Pinnacle Heights housing project (altho it's being torn down) and malinowski circle. Both are bad places that you want to stay away from.

However, if the house is next to the entrance to Stanley Works corporate office it's probably OK. If it were me I'd avoid New Britain unless you're a native or have someone to show you around. It is possible to find good neighborhoods in New Britain, but it's difficult.

IMO you would do much better in Bristol.

If your courious to know IMO the best area's of New Britain are next to Martha Hart park, Shuttle Meadow Golf course, and The Reservoir.

P.S. Osgood housing projects are actually Pinnacle Heights Projects, but it runs along Osgood Ave.

Mt Pleasant isn't next to slater road. It's on Myrtle St. (between Corbin Ave and Burritt St)

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,150 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. Appreciate the insight. MrGompers, more specifically the house is on Fairlane Drive. It seemed like a very nice area when I went to check it out. I have also found a great condo in the Wolcott Ridge condos in Bristol. Any ideas about that area?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM

10 posts, read 13,013 times
Fairlane Drive is one of the nicer neighborhoods. Mostly elderly couples, I believe. A nice quiet, walkable neighborhood. Also close to two supermarkets (Big Y and Stop N Shop) and Connecticut Commons shopping plaza in Plainville, which has a movie theater, Lowe's, PetsMart, Kohls, and a few restaurants. Just another side note, New Britain is served by a 24/7 fire department and has one of the best EMS providers in the state.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
P.S. Osgood housing projects are actually Pinnacle Heights Projects, but it runs along Osgood Ave.

Mt Pleasant isn't next to slater road. It's on Myrtle St. (between Corbin Ave and Burritt St)
I thought Pinnacle Heights was on Long Swamp Road, no? I heard they were tearing that complex down, which I'm all for since those buildings are shot and really not inhabitable. I always thought that public housing on Osgood was a separate complex.

Yeah, I know where Mount Pleasant is. What I meant was it's in the same general area - northwest quadrant. Sorry.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Fairlane Drive area should be okay but you are still in New Britain which is a struggling city. As long as you are aware of this and accept the problems that go with this, it is your decision if this is good for you. Jay

Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,378 times
simply put ..... DONT DO IT

Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
For real. Move to plainville instead. My boy works at ESPN maybe you know him lol. I know there are thousands of employees there. He moved to plainville 2 years ago to be closer to work and seems to like it. He works on the software that controls little bars that show the scores at the bottom of the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut