Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
well the one here closed like they said on the 22th it's 15 miles to the Fairfield one.. I don't think it sucks too much out of the local towns.
People don't get off the exits and explore food options if the rest stops have a wide variety of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
There have been rest stops with food on I-95 since it was opened over 50 years ago. They were originally Howard Johnson Restaurants. I think I am dating myself when I say I remember them. The people that stop in the rest areas would not likely get off the highway and go into a local joint in town to eat. Plus most of the towns on this corridor do not need the traffic. Jay

Old 03-24-2012, 08:13 AM

518 posts, read 743,349 times
If I was in a state like say N.C. or something and the rest stop was like 20 miles closer then a local place I could see your point.. However say a person has a GPS and searches for the nearest place to eat most show the rest stop and places beyond that.. Not saying everyone has a GPS but most out of state people do now and I know I do that when I need to stop for gas before a rest stop I check to see what's closer and get off before a rest stop.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There have been rest stops with food on I-95 since it was opened over 50 years ago. They were originally Howard Johnson Restaurants. I think I am dating myself when I say I remember them. The people that stop in the rest areas would not likely get off the highway and go into a local joint in town to eat. Plus most of the towns on this corridor do not need the traffic. Jay
The rest stops also had an incredibly small choice of food. Usually just McDonald's and maybe something else. The new ones have Robek's, Moe's, Good To Go Organics. People looking for a real, healthy meal would skip the McDonald's at the rest stop and go into the towns to patronize a real restaurant. That's why the billboards for independent restaurants exist. It's a shortsighted move IMO.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
When we're traveling the last thing we want to do is get off the highway and venture into nearby towns for a good restaurant. We're in a hurry, and want to eat something as quick as we can and get back on the road. A lot of rest stops now have numerous food choices which makes this easier to do. Even if the only choice is an unhealthy one though, we still go with a rest stop.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
When we're traveling the last thing we want to do is get off the highway and venture into nearby towns for a good restaurant. We're in a hurry, and want to eat something as quick as we can and get back on the road. A lot of rest stops now have numerous food choices which makes this easier to do. Even if the only choice is an unhealthy one though, we still go with a rest stop.
I seek out good food when traveling even if it's a quick lunch. I'm never THAT in a hurry that I'll settle for fast food. But if I saw a Moe's or Robek's, I probably wouldn't bother venturing further. Everyone's different and we're talking about hundreds of thousands of travelers.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
All of this is just an "accident of fate" of sorts.

When toll roads like the CT Turnpike, the Merritt Parkway, the NYS Thruway, the Garden State Parkway, etc. were built, they all had rest stops. It would've been the "wave of the future" but the Interstate Highway Act banned them from "free" Interstate roads, partially to alleviate concerns about towns being bypassed business-wise (the movie "Cars" though a fun kids movie actually is in a way an allegory about this concern).

While no tolls on I-95 or the Merritt anymore, they weren't going to tear down what already exists, so as a "legacy" feature and an ex-toll road they are "grandfathered" from the rule.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Finally both sides are closed now.. it took them the longest to start digging up the north bound side.

Friday going to check out the new one.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Probably a good thing, I won't be tempted to get a quick unhealthy breakfast on the way to work

Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Yeah most of the time I would just stop to use the restroom and that was it.. I hardly ever get gas.. last time I looked the price was $4.35

I hear that Fairfield is packed with trucks now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut