Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM

127 posts, read 431,837 times

Advertisements

so i have a job chance in waterbury at the hospital, so what is a good near by family area with good rents and schools. kids are 2and 3 now so schools will be very soon so that is important to us.

any info on the area would be great too. commuting should be minimal due to the nature of my job on call 24x7.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
I would look along the route 8 corridor. While it does get traffic, it isn't the horrid bottleneck that I-84 is. Watertown and Thomaston are short commutes with good schools.

You can go along 84 to Southbury but exit 18 can be an absolute nightmare at the wrong time.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
What type of area do you want and how much can you afford to pay. Waterbury itself is a large city with many of the typical issues you would find in an urban area. The schools do not perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. You may want to consider an adjacent town like Middlebury, Cheshire, Prospect or Wolcott if good schools are important to you. Information on schools in Connecticut can be found at the link below. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
It depends on your budget. Top tier Waterbury area towns with the best schools are Cheshire, Middlebury, Southbury, Oxford, Woodbury - you'll pay more for a home in these towns.

Second tier more affordable towns that still have good schools would be Prospect, Wolcott, Seymour, Bethlehem, Beacon Falls, Watertown.

I'd avoid Naugatuck, Meriden, Bristol and Plymouth. I might even add Thomaston to the list of towns to avoid.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw View Post
so i have a job chance in waterbury at the hospital, so what is a good near by family area with good rents and schools.
The closest "good" affordable area would probably be the Oakville section of Watertown.

Edit to add: Closest to Waterbury Hospital.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 03-21-2012 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,587 times
If you decide on moving to Waterbury, check out the East Mountain area. It is a quiet, suburban area within the city and the houses are neatly kept. The area borders the town of Prospect and has its own park, reservoir, and golf course. The houses are on average 25 to 30 years old. I don't know of many professionals that live in the area, but I said East Mountain because that area has the city's best elementary school (Wendell Cross). Wendell Cross is a good pick because it isn't violent and its diverse. So you're kids can have an urban experience without the drama and b.s. that normally would come with living in the city.

You didn't specify which hospital you'll be working at but if you're working at Saint Mary's you're commute to work from this area would be easy. Waterbury Hospital is would be a little bit more tricky because you have to go through downtown. But your commute home would be simple; about 15 minutes on 84 East to Exit 25.

If I would suggest any other schools in Waterbury, they would be Gilmartin, Tinker, and Carrington. Gilmartin is a brand new school built in 2010 in an area adjacent to East Mountain. Tinker is a well performing school (but VERY old) that serves the West End neighborhood known as Town Plot. Carrington is in the process of being rebuilt. It serves the Northwest neighborhood of Bunker Hill.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
You didn't specify which hospital you'll be working at but if you're working at Saint Mary's you're commute to work from this area would be easy. Waterbury Hospital is would be a little bit more tricky because you have to go through downtown.
I forgot all about St. Mary's.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM

if every thing im ready there will only be one hospital at some point, st marys is the one im considering.

what do you all think about the changes at st mary's with the for profit switch and the new hospital plans? ive only seen what i have readon the web site, but it looks like a positive idea.

thanks for the areas listed thats helpful, budget for rent is most likely 1200-1700 depending on quality of the house.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I like Woodbury, Seymour, Watertown, and Litchfield in that area.

Seymour is a good value, I think, and has a nice little downtown and other conveniences. Also closer to New Haven/Milford metro area for more "stuff" to access than the Waterbury area, which isn't particularly brimming with activity and things to do. Easy commute too.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 AM

ill be back in town thursday for the final interview with mngt at the hospital,

any good sites to use to find rentals in the area? ive been looking at homes.com and craigslist but slim pickings.

How is farmington area?

im not opposed to driving up to 30 min, i would go north more than south though as our familiy is in springfield and westfield ma areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut