Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times

Advertisements

Are you baiting us anon860? Are you really serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
The section along the Q river (e.g. Front and Downing) is fine, as are most areas on the other side of the Q river, which is technically called Fair Haven Heights. You'll find beautiful, spacious Victorian (or older) houses and mansions on both sides.

The suburbanites who make up the vast majority of posters here tend to think cities are dangerous and should be avoided, but the fact is that most areas of them are actually safer than most of the suburbs due to the dramatically decreased risk of car crashes (and the fact that crime is hyper concentrated in certain pockets and among certain demographics). I have posted about this elsewhere and see no need to argue with the same people about it. Even if you simply look at the per capita personal crime rates without factoring in what the crimes really are, places like Fair Haven Heights are as safe as many suburbs.

If you are looking at the entire New Haven region, it is true that Madison, East Rock, Westville, Spring Glen, etc., are nicer in many regards overall particularly if you are looking at things like educational achievement. But they also tend to be more expensive. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/22295790-post11.html and http://www.city-data.com/forum/22298226-post17.html.
LOL!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Can you elaborate on the bolded section? Are you implying that we exclude targeted drug related crime?

Quote:
The section along the Q river (e.g. Front and Downing) is fine, as are most areas on the other side of the Q river, which is technically called Fair Haven Heights. You'll find beautiful, spacious Victorian (or older) houses and mansions on both sides.

The suburbanites who make up the vast majority of posters here tend to think cities are dangerous and should be avoided, but the fact is that most areas of them are actually safer than most of the suburbs due to the dramatically decreased risk of car crashes (and the fact that crime is hyper concentrated in certain pockets and among certain demographics). I have posted about this elsewhere and see no need to argue with the same people about it. Even if you simply look at the per capita personal crime rates without factoring in what the crimes really are, places like Fair Haven Heights are as safe as many suburbs.

If you are looking at the entire New Haven region, it is true that Madison, East Rock, Westville, Spring Glen, etc., are nicer in many regards overall particularly if you are looking at things like educational achievement. But they also tend to be more expensive. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/22295790-post11.html and http://www.city-data.com/forum/22298226-post17.html.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
While you're not likely to be murdered living in a place like Fair Haven being middle class, as by default the vast majority of homicides in NH are poor-on-poor and usually drug related - you're exponentially more likely to have your place/car broken into, mugged, attacked, property vandalized, etc. than suburbs with very low crime rates.

Of course statistically you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than shot, but homicides aren't the only crime factor.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Are you baiting us anon860? Are you really serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
LOL!
I'm really beginning to wonder whether or not someone is just an "intelligent" thug using this forum as a vehicle to get more victims into the city...........

Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Actually that was my experience when I used to ride my bike in Fair Haven. I also worked in Fair Haven. I also lived on William Street, which is the State Street end of Fair Haven, off Olive. I actually felt safer living on William, than I did living on Forest Road in Westville. I've posted about my experience there, somewhere here on city-data.

And as I said, there are definitely sections of Fair Haven that no one would want to walk around at night, or alone. But the area along the river really isn't bad at all and much of Fair Haven Heights is lovely. Not most, not all. But much of it. It's not the suburbs. And it definitely isn't downtown. But it is a very old residential area with some pretty gorgeous architecture, and the people who live there tend to keep an eye out for each other.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm really beginning to wonder whether or not someone is just an "intelligent" thug using this forum as a vehicle to get more victims into the city...........
Do elaborate...

Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do elaborate...
IDK, what could be someone's motivation for trying to steer people into known dangerous neighborhoods?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The Q River condo area and adjacent Fair Haven Heights neighborhood aren't "known dangerous neighborhoods."

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM

63 posts, read 132,118 times
Yeah I lived there 12 years ago and front st. condos with the park and Q river across he street was very nice. It would be my only recommendation but not even since that was ages ago. I would stay away from fair haven in all honesty

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The Q River condo area and adjacent Fair Haven Heights neighborhood aren't "known dangerous neighborhoods."
They have had a good record in the past too. If you must live in fair haven probably there. Stay away from Ferry st. and any street off of Ferry st. Stay away from Quinnipiac ave unless its all the way down toward rt 80.(towards north branford etc etc.) good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut