Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 25,416 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my best friend and I are relocating to the New Haven area for graduate school. Due to the needs of our program (we got in together ) we need to be close to St. Raphael's hospital. A fellow student in our program has offered us an apartment in his house, which is in Fairhaven (Fair Haven?), very close to the water. The apartment is gorgeous and exactly what we're looking for, but the only fly in the ointment is that I've read many times that Fairhaven is bad news.

My friend and I both love the outdoors; we would want to feel safe biking or jogging on our own and I also have a dog that I'd like to feel safe walking at night by myself. We're going to go check out the apartment soon, but is it a crazy idea for us to move to this part of town? I've heard Fairhaven is a seriously mixed bag. Maybe a solution would be to take the apartment and then just drive to some park area to jog? The apartment is also on the first floor, but it also used to be the owner's unit and he and his wife seemed to feel safe there. Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,952,945 times
That place is "as safe" as any other place. Seriously it does not really matter where you live when it comes to safety. What matters is being aware of what is around you at all times and being prepared in case there is a problem. Carry pepper spray, cell phone, little or no cash, no handbag if possible but always have phot identification with you, take a defensive safety class. Things like that will help you if you need it until authorities or someone else arrives.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 AM

3,481 posts, read 9,374,029 times
I lived in NH as a single female though in a different neighborhood. A friend of mine lived in Fair Haven so I have spent a decent amount of time there. It is definitely a mixed bag (unlike Newhalville, in which I would say don't even contemplate living there). There will be crappy areas and good ones. For some reason, the crappy areas seem to generally be self contained. One good thing about most neighborhoods in New Haven is you can quickly get a feel for the neighborhood just by spending a little time there. Check out the apartment and walk the surrounding area. You'll likely quickly get a good/bad vibe about the area. Also, make sure you check out the area at night.

I've been out of New Haven for 5+ years now, so my advice may be outdated. Back then, I would consider the streets in the area of Ferry Street/Lombard Street/Blatchley Ave to be undesirable. The area of Front Street near I-91 also was not good. Again, things may have changed since then, so take my advice with a big grain of salt.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,691,528 times
I wouldn't consider this area safe or desirable at all. I sure wouldn't be walking my dog at night or jogging or biking during the day. Lots of crime, lots of teenagers looking for trouble.

If you want to be safe and near the water, look in the Morris Cove area of New Haven. Other much better options than Fair Haven are the neighborhoods of Wooster Square, East Rock and Westville.

Good luck

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

220 posts, read 522,475 times
I wouldn't personally choose it unless it was right next to the Wooster Square section. I would not walk my dog alone at night or bike/jog at night there either. During the day is another story. Fair Haven has been a little quieter recently than it was a few years ago, but still is generally not considered 'desirable' by New Haven standards.

I also wouldn't consider Fair Haven to be particularly close to St. Raphael's, though. It would be at least a 15 minute drive as you would have to go at least partially through downtown New Haven. You might want to look at how you will get to and from the hospital. If you have a car that won't be a problem, but you will need to look at where you keep the car and also at how you will secure the car in the evenings (alarm, steering wheel lock, wheel locks, etc.). Car theft and stealing objects from cars is a major problem throughout New Haven no matter which neighborhood you are in.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM

21,473 posts, read 27,712,350 times
It might be nice where your friend is, but things can change drastically within a few blocks. A lot of New Haven's crime happens in 2 small areas: Fair Haven, and the Hill/Whalley/Dixwell/Newhallville area (which, incidentally, is near St. Rae's).

I would look at Westville with your wants. It's a nice neighborhood with a fantastic park (West Rock) nearby with many varieties of hiking/biking trails.

I'd also look at East Rock and Wooster Square.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 25,416 times
Default Thanks for the input everybody!

Thank you so much for the input everybody, I really appreciate it. We're going to go down this weekend to thoroughly check it out and we'll definitely give the local PD a call to see what they think of the area. I'll post an update here if anybody's interested, thanks again for all the advice

Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That place is "as safe" as any other place. Seriously it does not really matter where you live when it comes to safety. What matters is being aware of what is around you at all times and being prepared in case there is a problem. Carry pepper spray, cell phone, little or no cash, no handbag if possible but always have phot identification with you, take a defensive safety class. Things like that will help you if you need it until authorities or someone else arrives.
Um - no. You have no idea what you're talking about. Fair Haven, along with Newhallville, is one of the most crime ridden sections of the city.

Seriously, it does matter where you live when it comes to safety. I live in a neighborhood where you don't have to carry pepper spray, a cell phone, have empty pockets. How often are cars stolen in Madison?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-22-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Kidyankee is right. I would be cautious about Fair Haven. Look to
Westville, downtown and East Rock for the safest areas. Jay

Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM

21,473 posts, read 27,712,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Um - no. You have no idea what you're talking about. Fair Haven, along with Newhallville, is one of the most crime ridden sections of the city.

Seriously, it does matter where you live when it comes to safety. I live in a neighborhood where you don't have to carry pepper spray, a cell phone, have empty pockets. How often are cars stolen in Madison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut