Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 PM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't see it as much of a problem. It's fairly easy to avoid a ticket - just follow the speed limit. Most of us choose not to, so we take our chances. Even with that, the odds of getting a ticket with any frequency are very low, and an occasional quota doesn't increase the risk much. It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Also, you're right that the whole thing is a wordsmithing issue. It's possible to encourage the issuance of a greater number of tickets without a strict quota. Officers' "productivity" is taken into account when evaluating them, and ticket volume is one measure of that.
That would not be hard if the highways were posted for the speed limits they were designed for. Most highways are designed for 75 mile per hour speeds but are posted for much lower speeds because according to the politican's speed kills. The Connecticut State Traffic Commission was fairly "aggressive" when they reset the speed limits 10 years ago after the feds loosened the stupid 55 mile per hour limits set in the 70's. Most people drive at the speeds they feel are comfortable for the highway they are on which basically means that most people are breaking the law. Somehow that to me does not seem quite right. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,361,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm sure it can top that! The fastest I ever drove the Bimmer is just over 100 mph in Connecticut. With the traffic around here, it's hard to get past that. I surpassed 100 mph on Route 8 a few years back, but I couldn't maintain it for very long.
How the hell can someone drive a 100+ mph an hour. Even at 3:30 AM on route 395 north of Norwich I wouldn't do higher than 85. I don't care if you get into an accident, just don't take me with you!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM

854 posts, read 1,231,512 times
Guys, be careful on the Merritt Parkway. It's the end of the month, and they're giving out tickets for fog lights like there's no tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:05 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,541,704 times
Make sure your radar detector is turned on.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,375,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How the hell can someone drive a 100+ mph an hour. !
The better question is why we allow cars designed for public roads to be ABLE to go that fast. There's 50 million things a car needs to be "street legal". But somehow speed limiters aren't on that list.

Most of CT isn't that bad for enforcement compared to other states. The worst speed enforcement I've ever seen is in Rhode Island and NJ beach town areas on secondary roads. Absolutely absurdly low speed limits(25 mph in semi rural side roads in RI) and constant enforcement. Collecting money from tourists as if the high beach prices aren't bad enough.

Has anyone ever driven down route 1 heading to narragansett from westerly and NOT seen the charlestown police out? It's a limited access highway with occasional lights with a 50mph speed limit and it's the heaviest speed speed enforcement I've ever seen. They actually wanted to lower the speed limit to 40mph, but the state wouldnt' allow it. Can you say "ticket revenue". Safety my butt.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,375,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Those don't work. They're worthless.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,905,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Those don't work. They're worthless.
Cheap detectors ain't worth much, I agree. But, I've had a Valentine 1 for almost 10 years now and it's saved me from numerous tickets and paid for itself many times over. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:44 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,070,466 times
Or you can just go a reasonable speed ……j/s

Old 06-30-2015, 05:10 PM

691 posts, read 1,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Or you can just go a reasonable speed ……j/s
Right....like the typical CT drive who believes 65-70 is 'reasonable' and therefore plays the morality police by camping out in the passing lane at said speeds.

The speed of others should be of zero concern (short of the driver zig-zagging between lanes or other aggressive maneuvers). Keep right and let the faster vehicle pass.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 PM

691 posts, read 1,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Better yet, use Waze. Not 100% perfect (especially on the more lightly-traveled roads), but has saved me dozens of times from the over-zealous enforcement on I-84 east of the river, especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut