Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,164 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Hawaii and I will be moving to the east coast in a few months. I am looking to purchase a retail space or a mixed use property in a great neighborhood with a fair pricing market. My plan is to open a barber shop that will attract a specific clientele, so the location is KEY. I am looking for an artsy, new aged, buzzing neighborhood anywhere in CT. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Fair pricing meaning? Keep in mind lower Fairfield County has some neighborhoods that fit the bill, but are extremely expensive.

At the high end of the rent scale:
South Norwalk
Downtown Stamford
Downtown Westport
Downtown Fairfield

Slightly more affordable areas:
Black Rock
Branford Center
Downtown Milford (a new mixed use property just opened - Metro Point)
Downtown Middletown
Downtown New Haven
Wooster Square New Haven
East Rock New Haven
West Hartford Center

These places lack a younger crowd, but still have a little artiness:
Kent
Litchfield
Mystic
Essex
Chester

I honestly can't think of any other areas that fit the bill. There are nice areas, but the vibe you're looking for is harder to come by.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Also, in general - New Haven is probably the artiest city in CT. Especially the East Rock/Audubon Street area. There are also some galleries and like-minded businesses starting to pop up in the ninth square district in Downtown.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times
I agree with Stylo New Haven is very artsy but stay in the East Rock section. The downtown area is like the wild west........ shoot em up bang bang.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
The downtown area is like the wild west........ shoot em up bang bang.
It really isn't. Not in the nine square area. Shootings are pretty rare in those parts. You have to go west from there past the Yale campus.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree with Stylo. Downtown New Haven is very safe. The OP needs to clarify what they mean by fair pricing. Real estate [prices are set by what the market will bare and the flucuates from town to town. What is fair to you may not be fair to me. Keep in mind that in real estate it is all about location location location. There are no real bargains so you get what you pay for. Jay

Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I should have also said I would add downtown Hartford to the list. There is a great arts scene there as well. Jay

Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
East Lyme and Mystic would be my choices. Not sure how "fair" the pricing market is in either of these towns but they are both incredibly eclectic, mixing old New England (think mid-1700's) with a pretty significant arts culture, and modern comforts.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM

74 posts, read 88,951 times
I've lived in New Haven all my life until college and then moving up here in NY. City is just like any other metro area in terms of danger: don't get caught up in street politics or wear fancy suits and Hublots walking alone at 2am and you'll be fine. It has it's artsy areas and its ghettos. Again, like every major city.

Now in terms of what you're looking for: what's your clientele exactly? I can give you more information if your looking for them based on culture, race, language, w/e. I've lived in Fair haven that has at least 10 shops in the entire area, all equally successful and have existed since I was a kid.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
How would you compare the Wooster Square and East Rock neighborhoods in New Haven in terms of amenities, walkability, ambience, safety? They often come up as the more interesting/artsy parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut