Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 9,111 times

Advertisements

We are deciding whether or not to move from the midwest to take a job in Manhattan, within one block of Grand Central Station. Looking for a one hour commute to the burbs, and would like absolutely the best public middle/high schools that suburbia can offer, and a 3 bedroom house for around $550k to $600k. Is that reasonably doable in this economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Doable in the most affordable parts of Greenwich. Whether or not you'll like the aesthetics of those homes and their neighborhoods is something you'll need to decide for yourself.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
"Absolutely the best" schools is going to be impossible within an hour. You may have to make sacrifices in school ranking (not I said ranking and not quality as I feel some of the lower ranked schools can be excellent from a quality of education standpoint) or commute.

Stamford has very respectable schools, especially the elementary level, and you could easily get a 3BR at that price. It is the only town where you might actually have a shot at an hour commute, and be able to afford a nice 3BR home.

Greenwich might be doable budget-wise in the Cos Cob area, but you might have to deal with an older home that's in so-so shape at that price. It won't be a super nice place. Greenwich is very expensive.

Darien, New Canaan, forget about it. No such thing as a 3BR SFH at that price.

Westport and Fairfield might be your best options. About 65 and 70 minutes respectively. Westport is quite a bit more expensive, and you're probably looking at a smaller 3BR at that price - but certainly doable. The schools in Westport are highly ranked, although a bit pressure cooker too. Fairfield is a little more rounded and much more down to earth and your money will go further there. You will be able to afford a large 3BR or even a nice 4BR for your budget in Fairfield. Fairfield is a fantastic town IMO and I highly recommend it.

Wilton is worth considering too and priced similar to Fairfield, although you're looking at a 10-25 minute drive to the South Norwalk train station (depending on where in Wilton), and then another hour from there.

As you go further out to Stratford and Milford it gets more affordable, but the commute becomes 75-80 minutes by train which could be brutal.

I recommend living as close to a train station as possible. Walking distance a huge plus.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,111 times
Thanks. So, is it tricky finding the right high schools within those particular areas, or are they all a safe bet?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There usually aren't many, but you will see some. More often than not though, the brokers won't even bother listing them as a single-family house. They just list it as a building lot.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Are we talking about the same Stamford? The best non-charter elementary school I could locate still showed 34% of students qualifying for free or reduced-price lunch and only 4th grade reading at or above state level out of all CMT results in grades 3-6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
"Absolutely the best" schools is going to be impossible within an hour. You may have to make sacrifices in school ranking (not I said ranking and not quality as I feel some of the lower ranked schools can be excellent from a quality of education standpoint) or commute.

Stamford has very respectable schools, especially the elementary level, and you could easily get a 3BR at that price. It is the only town where you might actually have a shot at an hour commute, and be able to afford a nice 3BR home.

Greenwich might be doable budget-wise in the Cos Cob area, but you might have to deal with an older home that's in so-so shape at that price. It won't be a super nice place. Greenwich is very expensive.

Westport and Fairfield might be your best options. About 65 and 70 minutes respectively. Westport is quite a bit more expensive, and you're probably looking at a smaller 3BR at that price - but certainly doable. The schools in Westport are highly ranked, although a bit pressure cooker too. Fairfield is a little more rounded and much more down to earth and your money will go further there. You will be able to afford a large 3BR or even a nice 4BR for your budget in Fairfield. Fairfield is a fantastic town IMO and I highly recommend it.

Wilton is worth considering too and priced similar to Fairfield, although you're looking at a 10-25 minute drive to the South Norwalk train station (depending on where in Wilton), and then another hour from there.

As you go further out to Stratford and Milford it gets more affordable, but the commute becomes 75-80 minutes by train which could be brutal.

I recommend living as close to a train station as possible. Walking distance a huge plus.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Are we talking about the same Stamford? The best non-charter elementary school I could locate still showed 34% of students qualifying for free or reduced-price lunch and only 4th grade reading at or above state level out of all CMT results in grades 3-6.
So it's bad to go to a school where 34% of students come from families with not a lot of money?

Ouch.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Not necessarily... but they likely come from families that aren't going to value education with the same enthusiasm..... Test scores don't tell the whole story, but I prefer to have my children around other high performing parents who will demand more academically. Networking opportunities when it comes time to intern....

Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 AM

222 posts, read 413,486 times
Default ok schools vs. good/great ones

I think the description of Stamford schools as respectable is mostly fair, though I'd say hit or miss. Rogers is respectable but you have to win a lottery to get in. And you asked about high schools, well, I would not say Stamford High is a good choice.

Westport, Darien, Fairfield... I hear they are all good schools throughout. Norwalk has challenges. I think with the prices tanking you could get a fixer in Westport for that money - I could be wrong but home values are SO LOW right now.

As a city commuter, for me Westport is the last stop before it feels like a r e a l l y l o n g day.

IF you are open to Catholic Schools in Stamford that could be a nice combo for you. They are reasonable (roughly 7500 per year elementary, 5500 if you join the church) and excellent.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
I did the commute from Fairfield to 2 blocks from Grand Central, and it ended up being 1h45m on average door to door. Even though the trains are 75m or so, you have to add driving, parking, walking, waiting, train, then walking again to your office. It was nice that Fairfield was the first stop on a lot of the morning trains, so I always had a seat. Coming home, you have to get there early enough or else you're standing the whole ride home. After almost 4 years of doing that, I'm glad I found a job in CT. Now I just drive against traffic for 45m.

If you really want to keep it at or less than an hour, look in Westchester or NJ. If you can get into the Port Authority on a bus, it's a quick walk or 7/Shuttle subway ride across town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut