Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

It's a shame they abolished the law entirely, and didn't change it to accommodate the "what if" situations. In the case of death-penalty crimes and convictions, they could simply offer the convicted a choice: death, or life without parole in a max security prison. For especially heinous crimes in which the convicted show particular animosity and/or hostility to inmates, it could be death, or life without patrol in max security, in solitary confinement.

Let the prisoner make the choice about his own fate.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is a whole spectrum of belief within what is modern liberalism... Which is why people who learned everything they know about liberals from Rush Limbaugh-- and parrot those thoughts-- are wrong most of the time.
I agree there is a whole spectrum of belief, but why the broad-brushing? I dont listen to Rush, but he does have an audience that's greater than every liberal radio host' combined in this country. Hmmm, one guy... I guess most everybody has it wrong and you figured it out?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

My brother once mentioned to me..'If someone killed one of your children- don't tell me you would not kill them on the spot if you had that power'...............frankly no....the loss of the child would be tragic enough- the sorrow would be enough...to kill the killer would only double the evil and would never bring about this stupid thing we call "closure"- There is never any closure to such events.
You have no idea what you would do in this circumstance. There is no way to predict your reaction when presented with this kind of scenario. My gut tells me though, you might want to tear that person in half...

Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I agree there is a whole spectrum of belief, but why the broad-brushing? I dont listen to Rush, but he does have an audience that's greater than every liberal radio host' combined in this country. Hmmm, one guy... I guess most everybody has it wrong and you figured it out?
No broad brush here. The unrelenting ridicule of the liberal cause-- and more importantly the attribution of ridiculous false fringe beliefs to liberals-- had it's genesis with him. People think they know what I believe because of him. They think that the average liberal believes in absurd, ridiculous policies because of Limbaugh and his imitators. The unbelievable dichotomy between progressive and conservative-- which has caused gridlock in our government and a complete inability to compromise is due to the hatred that he engenders (on both sides) due to his mischaracterization and demonization of liberal beliefs.

Again, I am not a liberal because I think it's some kind of popularity contest and I want to side with the popular kids. And if you want to talk numbers of listeners as justification, your argument is disingenuous. Especially in light of the screaming about the liberal media-- Many more people watch the national news on CBS, NBC, and ABC (broadcast network) than on Fox... Recent elections have shown that we're pretty much split 50/50 Republican and Democrat. Obama did get elected-- so we're not a 100 percent conservative country.

Furthermore the size of Limbaugh's audience is unverifiable: Rush Limbaugh's Audience May Be Much Smaller Than You Think - Business Insider

Maybe the people who listen like to have their biases confirmed and supported? Maybe they think he's funny. I think he's a divisive ass and probably should be a felon. By his own accounts his exaggerated estimate of his audience is 15-20 million. That's not even 10 percent of the country. However, I can't deny the power of his (and his imitators) destructive influence.

It's rather personal for me-- If the Republicans get their way, I won't be able to marry the person I love. I will also likely not be able to get any type of health care as a cancer survivor. What do you lose by supporting the Republicans? Save 3% on taxes? Prevent me from kissing other boys? What do you really gain?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No broad brush here. The unrelenting ridicule of the liberal cause-- and more importantly the attribution of ridiculous false fringe beliefs to liberals-- had it's genesis with him. People think they know what I believe because of him. They think that the average liberal believes in absurd, ridiculous policies because of Limbaugh and his imitators. The unbelievable dichotomy between progressive and conservative-- which has caused gridlock in our government and a complete inability to compromise is due to the hatred that he engenders (on both sides) due to his mischaracterization and demonization of liberal beliefs.

Again, I am not a liberal because I think it's some kind of popularity contest and I want to side with the popular kids. And if you want to talk numbers of listeners as justification, your argument is disingenuous. Especially in light of the screaming about the liberal media-- Many more people watch the national news on CBS, NBC, and ABC (broadcast network) than on Fox... Recent elections have shown that we're pretty much split 50/50 Republican and Democrat. Obama did get elected-- so we're not a 100 percent conservative country.

Furthermore the size of Limbaugh's audience is unverifiable: Rush Limbaugh's Audience May Be Much Smaller Than You Think - Business Insider

Maybe the people who listen like to have their biases confirmed and supported? Maybe they think he's funny. I think he's a divisive ass and probably should be a felon. By his own accounts his exaggerated estimate of his audience is 15-20 million. That's not even 10 percent of the country. However, I can't deny the power of his (and his imitators) destructive influence.

It's rather personal for me-- If the Republicans get their way, I won't be able to marry the person I love. I will also likely not be able to get any type of health care as a cancer survivor. What do you lose by supporting the Republicans? Save 3% on taxes? Prevent me from kissing other boys? What do you really gain?
Well, for a guy who's audience can't be verified, who over-exaggerates his audience and engenders hate, he certainly does have a huge following and the left has no answer to that. None. Who's the champion of the progressive message? Rachel Maddow? George Soros? Obama? (not for long...)

Not all republican and/or conservatives care about who you kiss or marry. It doesn't bother me or affect me at all. I am a conservative because that's the way I was raised. I want clean water, food for kids and elderly and medicine too; I just object to my $$$ being confiscated to feed baby machines and drug addicts and lazy losers. If you feel that strong about it, give all yours away, you make plenty by your own admission...

Furthermore, I think you need to put your money where your mouth is mlassoff. If you think that your beliefs are held by the majority or should be, you ought to run for office. Get out there and project your stance in public instead of on city-data. Good luck with that. I'll bet you win the city vote every time...

Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Killing the offender further rots the society..'THOU SHALL NOT KILL'..............is an ancient rule that works....Killing kills the soul of the killer- justified or not.
Just for reference it's pretty well know that that passage means "don't murder". The modern versions read like this:
Exd 20:13 "You shall not murder." (NIV) In other words, don't take innocent life. Are you "pro-choice"?

Quote:
So I take it you don't just want the state government in the marriage business, you want the feds in it as well? Great. I have to give you another side of the argument from a "separation of church and state" and "freedom of religion" 1st amendment point of view.

Why is it now all of a sudden okay for the government to tell a church who they can and can't marry? That is a direct, constitutional violation. If you understand what I just said, you'll realize that you would be free to do what you want in that regard and not subject to any government dictate.

The government should NOT be in the business of marriage, nor should they give special benefits to married people...or anyone else outside of the infirm for that matter.

As for the healthcare thing, shall I assume you repaid the $100,000 the state put towards your treatment? If not, that's pretty brash to think the people of CT somehow "owe" you that kind of help. You make very good money, right? Pay them back then...perhaps you took food out of a poor child's mouth where that money could have gone too.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why is it now all of a sudden okay for the government to tell a church who they can and can't marry? That is a direct, constitutional violation. If you understand what I just said, you'll realize that you would be free to do what you want in that regard and not subject to any government dictate.
It's not. I could give a monkey's buggle what churches do and don't do. The government should be the one to recognize the marriage and afford me all of the advantages that you get.

Your church can pray to sheep for all I care.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Well, for a guy who's audience can't be verified, who over-exaggerates his audience and engenders hate, he certainly does have a huge following and the left has no answer to that. None. Who's the champion of the progressive message? Rachel Maddow? George Soros? Obama? (not for long...)
Yes, Obama has a bigger audience and got more votes then Limbaugh.. He's the President... Remember? Although I don't understand what you are getting at? Are you lionizing Limbaugh as some kind of hero? Professional wrestling has a lot of viewers too. Maybe we should take our political direction from that?

Quote:
Not all republican and/or conservatives care about who you kiss or marry. It doesn't bother me or affect me at all.
Great. You care about my equal rights. What have you done to see that I get them? I'm sure we both know the answer.

Quote:
Furthermore, I think you need to put your money where your mouth is mlassoff. If you think that your beliefs are held by the majority or should be, you ought to run for office. Get out there and project your stance in public instead of on city-data. Good luck with that. I'll bet you win the city vote every time...
Until you run for office yourself, I'll take this as hypocritical. Again, (for at least the tenth time) I am not choosing to be on a side I perceive as more popular. I choose to be liberal because it is congruent with my morals and values.... and see little other choice when it comes to my personal rights.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
It's not. I could give a monkey's buggle what churches do and don't do. The government should be the one to recognize the marriage and afford me all of the advantages that you get.

Your church can pray to sheep for all I care.
I see you skipped over everything else and decided to go after the "church" which is telling and very interesting.

Answer me this. Who is denying you marriage, the church or the government? There are churches out there that will marry you both. I'm sure there are synagogues out there that will do it as well. When you figure that out, you will realize WHO the real oppressor is, and who is just speaking their opinion with no real power. You don't need big government to bail your ass out, you need less of it. Don't be afraid to live free, it's a "God" given RIGHT. Enjoy it.

Unless of course you are one of those looking for acceptance of your lifestyle from the state as some kind of validation. I can see how that can push you to certain mindsets. That's call insecurity.

I hope that 100 grand in free healthcare got you ahead, God knows I am strapped with taxation. You're welcome.

Quote:
Great. You care about my equal rights. What have you done to see that I get them? I'm sure we both know the answer.
Our founders said they come from God and are inalienable. The questions is, do you believe it.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Answer me this. Who is denying you marriage, the church or the government? There are churches out there that will marry you both. I'm sure there are synagogues out there that will do it as well. When you figure that out, you will realize WHO the real oppressor is, and who is just speaking their opinion with no real power. You don't need big government to bail your ass out, you need less of it. Don't be afraid to live free, it's a "God" given RIGHT. Enjoy it.
Marriage rights are currently being denied by the government. Why don't you join me in helping change that? YOu're not the oppressor, right? Let's have an event at your church?

Yes some churches are supportive. The Mormon church, in contrast, takes it's tax-exempt status and then campaigns in the public arena against government sanctioned gay marriage-- so it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Until the government grants equal marriage rights to all (which I think is going to happen-- and soon) we aren't equal under the law.

I know you're fine with the status quo-- Your marriage is recognized. Mine isn't. When is your church joining the cause?

Quote:

Unless of course you are one of those looking for acceptance of your lifestyle from the state as some kind of validation. I can see how that can push you to certain mindsets. That's call insecurity.
I don't give a rats ass whether you or anyone else accept my lifestyle. You're bigotry is your own and you have to live with that. What I do want is called equality.

Maybe you are one of those insecure churchgoers looking for acceptance of your lifestyle from the state by insisting it be codified in to law. I can see how YOU push certain mindsets. That's called arrogance.

Quote:
I hope that 100 grand in free healthcare got you ahead, God knows I am strapped with taxation. You're welcome.
What the hell are you talking about? I didn't receive any free health care. I paid for my insurance. Quite a bit, in fact. When I had cancer, the health care kept me from becoming a dead person. What would you're preferred outcome have been? It seems you're much more interested in the big-bad-government killing people than saving them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut