U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,117,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
In a world that's moved right, maybe the lack of a death penalty isn't a far far far left position. It's actually pretty mainstream left.

Regardless, I am fine with the death penalty in clear-cut, 100% guilty, we have it on tape types of cases. However, in Texas, it was overused in places where guilt was not assured-- And Texas has killed innocent men. There is absolutely no excuse for that.

However, I am bothered by some who want abortion under no circumstances because of their 'pro-life' views but liberal (sorry couldn't resist) application of the death penalty....
If you think our nation has moved right, your crazy. lol

As for your abortion comment...the difference is death of guilty vs innocent. But since you brought it up, I find it strange that people are sensitive to not putting an innocent person to death I.E. "Rather 10 guilty go free than 1 innocent be killed" but are flip about abortion. What "if"? No consistency there IMO.

P.S. I agree with you about TX and DP.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM

663 posts, read 396,065 times
Why not just do what I suggested in post #12 and send those eligible for the DP to a labor camp in Alaska in the winter when its 40 below and Mojave desert in the summer when its 110?

That's more of a punishment than the DP, but much more suitable than life w/o parole in states w/o the DP?

I would totally support abolition of the DP if we that were the substitute.

Thoughts??

Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM

8,487 posts, read 9,895,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Why not just do what I suggested in post #12 and send those eligible for the DP to a labor camp in Alaska in the winter when its 40 below and Mojave desert in the summer when its 110?

That's more of a punishment than the DP, but much more suitable than life w/o parole in states w/o the DP?

I would totally support abolition of the DP if we that were the substitute.

Thoughts??
What, no waterboarding as well?
Your idea kind of crosses the line into just outright torture, IMVHO.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM

5,227 posts, read 5,052,843 times
Personally I see it as a step in the wrong direction. Our new answer is life with no chance for parole so we get to house feed & support them for life instead of getting rid of them. Its not like we abused it. If anything we could have simplified the methodology to save money. We dont need big machines & gas chambers to kill a person whos death will better society.
I believe to a degree it acts as a deterrent, but even if it doesnt it saves alot of money & eliminates recidivism.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM

7,223 posts, read 5,139,964 times
JViello:

I guess you missed it when I said:

Quote:
Regardless, I am fine with the death penalty in clear-cut, 100% guilty, we have it on tape types of cases. However, in Texas, it was overused in places where guilt was not assured-- And Texas has killed innocent men. There is absolutely no excuse for that.
And I remain pro-choice. No inconsistency there.

The inconsistency comes when some will consider a clump of cells life, but can't give two hoots once it's out of the womb. They' dive across railroad tracks and shoot doctors to prevent aborting the clump of cells ( and I am not lumping you in with those people, J ) but won't support free breakfasts for poor kids in elementary schools under any circumstances....

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,117,431 times
Thinking about this, it really makes no sense. We are not asking to create a law, it's already in place. Furthermore, on a bad day over 65% of CT residents don't want it repealed.

We also recently reduced the time violent, vile criminals will do.

Why are we getting softer on crime in CT?

Thinking this through some more, I can pretty much guarantee you that the 11 people on death row right now (5 put there by Waterbury prosecutor John Connely BTW) will not be put to death. I can smell the appeals being written as we speak.

That is a slap to people like Dr Petit who found incredible strength to testify, sit through horrific recounting testimony and waited patiently for justice to take place. He's probably beside himself.

There is an agenda at play here, and the people of CT are being screwed by their representatives.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM

633 posts, read 579,666 times
Killing someone for killing someone else is no better than the killer... because it makes your heart same as the killer himself! You created the cycle, with no end.

I am very happy that this law is off from this state.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM

186 posts, read 205,828 times
I watched an online talk by the lawyer Bryan Stephenson the other day that expressed my position on this better than I think I ever have, where he said:

"The death penalty is, of course, a fantastically important issue, but the way we frame the question is important. One way of asking is, “Do people deserve to die for the crimes they’ve committed?” But another way is, “Do we deserve to kill?”

There are plenty of cases where I think people deserve to die for their crimes. But personally, I don't think the government deserves to have the power to kill. Moreover, I think that having that power can be a corrosive force.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM

12,060 posts, read 12,886,944 times
Quote:
The inconsistency comes when some will consider a clump of cells life, but can't give two hoots once it's out of the womb.
Sorry but as someone who is not religious, pro gay marriage and iffy on the abortion thing, this comment almost made me puke.

As for the death penalty, I'm not sure I trust the government enough to sentence someone to death. It doesn't give the family closure, and most on death row prefer to be on death row. Let 'em rot in a dark, cold cell for half a century.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,022,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sorry but as someone who is not religious, pro gay marriage and iffy on the abortion thing, this comment almost made me puke.

As for the death penalty, I'm not sure I trust the government enough to sentence someone to death. It doesn't give the family closure, and most on death row prefer to be on death row. Let 'em rot in a dark, cold cell for half a century.
Agree 100%. I'd add to your reputation but it says I have to spread it around, however you do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut