U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
 
1,645 posts, read 1,953,187 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Reading comprehension is your friend. I did not say it's wrong because it's performed in China. However, the way it is performed in China (and Texas) for that matter is wrong. You don't seem to care about the possibility (and now the fact) that innocent men have been executed.
No, it is your opinion that the way it is performed in the aforementioned locations is wrong. Again, no one wants to see innocents executed, and being a modern Western nation with laser technology and robots hurtling toward Mars, there is a way to drastically reduce that possibility in less than six months. This idea that appeals should be allowed to carry on for decades is the joke here, and what is absolutely wrong and fundamentally flawed.


Quote:
Right... As evidence by the following:
What?

I'm simply stating I would have no qualms about ordering an execution in such cases, or flipping the switch. There is no anger here, as it's a pragmatic choice, but I also have no tolerance for bleeding heart "every life is precious" nonsense on such issues. I simply find them tired. I don't agree, and I never will.

 
Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,584 posts, read 4,221,620 times
Reputation: 8923
Revenge killing has no effect on the murder stats. There is the argument that says - why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 30 year confinement when you can just kill the person? This argument does not hold water..What's next as far as cost savings? Perhaps execute every drooling human being with Downs syndrome? Once you start killing the killing spreads...It's the proverbial slippery slope.
 
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
6,751 posts, read 4,431,455 times
Reputation: 3663
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Ha, resorting to name calling? How typical.

So lets get this straight, you think it is wrong for society to execute convicted murderers/rapist-murderers, but you think its fine for society to allow the kiling of unborn babies (hence your statement "I also don't believe I am in a position to make that decision for women"). The inconsistency is profound.
Do you really want to get it straight? This is the second time you've misstated my position. How about letting me tell you where I stand on issues, instead of letting Rush Limbaugh tell you?f

I am not against the death penalty in all cases. But I do believe in extreme caution in using it. If there is any question about fairness, capacity, culpability or representation, than we should err on the side of caution instead of killing an innocent man or someone who doesn't have complete culpability. (Don't worry-- if there are no doubts, we'll still get to kill a few!) I don't think it's a great answer. I don't think it has an impact on crime. It's retribution... period. And in the rare case that it's called for-- and there are no extenuation circumstances or questions-- fine... use it. I really don't see how anyone is anything but reluctant to use it... I really don't.

I also believe abortion is acceptable in some circumstances. I am no great fan of using it as birth control. But there are certainly circumstances where it is warranted -- and even humane-- to end a pregnancy. It's sad... I'd never want to go through it myself or in my family... But it's the reality.

I think there is great irony in people who believe abortion is inappropriate under all circumstances, but will execute a grown adult when questionable circumstances still exist. Furthermore, I find great irony in someone who will scream themselves blue and want to use the power of goverenment to save a fetus, but wants that same government to stand by and let that fetus starve when it becomes a child.

I guess the reason you are reacting so strongly is that you seem to want absolutes, and my positions are nuanced and complex. Perhaps Rush can tell you why....
 
Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: New England
753 posts, read 728,834 times
Reputation: 475
Did I ever say I am for the death penalty in ALL cases, even cases where there is a question of error? Nope. Did I ever say I am against abortion in ALL cases, nope again. You see, libs aren't the only ones who are "nuanced", no matter what Rachel Maddow tells you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do you really want to get it straight? This is the second time you've misstated my position. How about letting me tell you where I stand on issues, instead of letting Rush Limbaugh tell you?f

I am not against the death penalty in all cases. But I do believe in extreme caution in using it. If there is any question about fairness, capacity, culpability or representation, than we should err on the side of caution instead of killing an innocent man or someone who doesn't have complete culpability. (Don't worry-- if there are no doubts, we'll still get to kill a few!) I don't think it's a great answer. I don't think it has an impact on crime. It's retribution... period. And in the rare case that it's called for-- and there are no extenuation circumstances or questions-- fine... use it. I really don't see how anyone is anything but reluctant to use it... I really don't.

I also believe abortion is acceptable in some circumstances. I am no great fan of using it as birth control. But there are certainly circumstances where it is warranted -- and even humane-- to end a pregnancy. It's sad... I'd never want to go through it myself or in my family... But it's the reality.

I think there is great irony in people who believe abortion is inappropriate under all circumstances, but will execute a grown adult when questionable circumstances still exist. Furthermore, I find great irony in someone who will scream themselves blue and want to use the power of goverenment to save a fetus, but wants that same government to stand by and let that fetus starve when it becomes a child.

I guess the reason you are reacting so strongly is that you seem to want absolutes, and my positions are nuanced and complex. Perhaps Rush can tell you why....
 
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 1,953,187 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Revenge killing has no effect on the murder stats. There is the argument that says - why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 30 year confinement when you can just kill the person? This argument does not hold water..What's next as far as cost savings? Perhaps execute every drooling human being with Downs syndrome? Once you start killing the killing spreads...It's the proverbial slippery slope.
Execution is not "revenge killing", but a pragmatic method for removing a person from society who has committed extreme offenses against the peace on his/her own accord.

Whether the death penalty decreases murder rates or not is completely irrelevant. There certainly is a zero percent recidivism rate, unlike the system of keeping such people alive, to potentially escape, murder each other (in much less humane a fashion than any state-sponsored execution), murder corrections officers and officials, etc.

Your argument does not prove a fact, but is just another step in the ridiculous faux-moralist "protect every life" nonsense. Accept the fact that many will never buy the line of people who wish for the rest of us to pay the way for child rapists and torturers.
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Reputation: 3152
Welp, here you go.

The guy who raped an 11 year old and burned her alive, watches TV all day, draws, eats food, and puts on weight.

Joshua Komisarjevsky: Komisarjevsky Says He Tries Not To Think About Murders - Courant.com
He also declined an opportunity to express remorse for the killings.

"I guess my reaction is not the reaction society expected," Komisarjevsky said....

..."I don't think I'll be executed against my will," Komisarjevsky said. "I think if I volunteer the state will execute me."
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
 
148 posts, read 237,384 times
Reputation: 78
This is why the death penalty must be abolished and i congratulate the Democrats for having the balls to do it:

Yes, America, We Have Executed an Innocent Man - Andrew Cohen - National - The Atlantic

What's more unjust, an innocent man being executed (thanks again, texas) or a guilty man spending the rest of his life in jail?
 
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by iypoon View Post

What's more unjust, an innocent man being executed (thanks again, texas) or a guilty man spending the rest of his life in jail?
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Guilt is of no doubt in this case. Next...
 
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
6,751 posts, read 4,431,455 times
Reputation: 3663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Guilt is of no doubt in this case. Next...
But laws aren't made based on 'this' case.

We make laws based on great-good (I hope). This is not an apples to oranges comparison. Two men-- same sentence: Death. One was guilty, one was innocent.

I have failed to see this properly addressed with anything except, "Who cares..."
 
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: New England
8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
But laws aren't made based on 'this' case.

We make laws based on great-good (I hope). This is not an apples to oranges comparison. Two men-- same sentence: Death. One was guilty, one was innocent.
It is apples to oranges. Texas laws are not CT laws, and both are vastly different in how they adjudicate.

Furthermore, the death penalty is most certainly a "case by case" basis. It's up to the prosecution, jury and judge for this to be the final "say" of whether the defendant is charged with, found guilty of, and sentenced with said punishment.

In clear cut cases like this, where the guilty party even states death would be a welcome relief, I'm sure there is no "mistake" being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top