Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think the bigger factor in "fleeing" (which may be overstating it a bit) college graduates is that the types of jobs that most college grads want aren't here. Those jobs are in NYC, Boston, Atlanta and other major metros. Our major state U is in Storrs--- not exactly a jobs mecca like Austin (U-Texas)....

I'd like to see some information on how many of us come back-- because that is exactly the trend I am seeing now among my class (Class of '92). Many of my classmates and friends who went away for education or the initial parts of their careers are now coming back as established professional either here or in the city.
You said your HH is 200k. If your friends are the same, that is the top roughly 2% of America. That would be unrepresentative of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter29 View Post
I graduated from high school in 2010, and I would say about 1/3 of my friends have moved out of state, and have no intention of coming back. I don't know how that compares to any other states, but that's just my personal experience. Connecticut is so heavily suburbanized, and I think a lot of youth that grew up have become very disenchanted with them. And our cities don't offer a whole lot, though they are improving. But with the allure of Boston and New York so close by, CT has it's work cut out for it.
Add in the fact that those fleeing are more likely to be able to afford a reasonable lifestyle elsewhere given Ct's outrageous COL, and extremely late Tax Freedom Day. Of several dozen in my family who fled, 1 returned, and she makes less than $10 per hour in retail, after 6 years, and lives as a boarder. I personally knew 3 similar families, all of whom grew up within 15 miles of Milford, and all of whom are virtually 100% relocated. The median incomes of this group is well above 200% of both the CT and US average..

Last edited by bobtn; 05-01-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You said your HH is 200k. If your friends are the same, that is the top roughly 2% of America. That would be unrepresentative of America.
I have no idea what that has to do with anything except an opportunity for you to bring my income in out of context...

Many of my classmates are returning to Connecticut after schooling, etc., elsewhere. Since I am not paying for them to do it, I am going to go ahead and say my income isn't relevant here.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
A lot of younger people move to NYC (especially Brooklyn) or Boston after school, but it sure isn't for cost of living reasons.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Add in the fact that those fleeing are more likely to be able to afford a reasonable lifestyle elsewhere given Ct's outrageous COL, and extremely late Tax Freedom Day. Of several dozen in my family who fled, 1 returned, and she makes less than $10 per hour in retail, after 6 years, and lives as a boarder. I personally knew 3 similar families, all of whom grew up within 15 miles of Milford, and all of whom are virtually 100% relocated. The median incomes of this group is well above 200% of both the CT and US average..
And of the several dozen in my family I can say that only 2 are doing as good in their new states as they did here in Connecticut. In fact one says it was the worst mistake her family ever made. They went to a lower cost state where the schools were a joke, the medical care was AWEFUL and the jobs paid little. She has to commute an hour to get a semi-decent job that at least offers the option of medical insurance which sadly is not very common in her area. I know other families that have gone and come back and were glad they did. And I am not talking about people with high incomes. I am talking about middle class families just like yours. Jay

Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I have no idea what that has to do with anything except an opportunity for you to bring my income in out of context...

Many of my classmates are returning to Connecticut after schooling, etc., elsewhere. Since I am not paying for them to do it, I am going to go ahead and say my income isn't relevant here.
Not out of context; it means while the 200K HH may return, what about the 50-75k HH which are the majority of America's middle class? Or the 75-100k? Or the 100-125K? Depending on the 200K to replace the lost "true middle class" instead of the "upper middle class" is a losing, numerical proposition. There are dozens of the 50-125k for each of the 200k.

Plus, if it simply means Ct becomes one of the 200ks, plus the gov't dependent, Weicker's "2 Cts" was spot on.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Add in the fact that those fleeing are more likely to ........................................

.....................go on welfare in Tennessee?
News Headlines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut