Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,831 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NE in a couple of month to be close to my wife's family whom they live in NJ. I am looking into south west of the state, maybe Greenwich, Stamford. I drove in these two cities before and i like Greenwich more cause it seems like a more family oriented place. I don`t mind live in quite, county style but close to transportation, malls, restaurants kinda of area. We are expecting a baby in a few month so safety and neighborhood is my top priority to raise family. We will rent maybe for the first year, I am looking into $1500 average housing expenses.

I need your recommendation on the city, also would you consider east PA.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM

241 posts, read 543,366 times
Do you need to be close to anywhere for work? I'm a bit confused by the combination of CT & PA since they are not around the corner from each other. As someone who grew up in eastern PA and now is living in Connecticut, I think you will get a nicer apartment and neighborhood for your money in Pennsylvania. Why not consider NJ or NY as well if you are looking this broadly?

Although this would be a great renting budget in most parts of the country, you may have difficulty with it in towns like Greenwich. However, there are certainly other towns in Fairfield county (such as the town of Fairfield) where you could find apartments in that range...it just depends on what range of geographic locations you are considering.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,831 times
The reason i am considering west CT and east PA is because both are 1.5-2 hours drive to central NJ. Rent budget is high to accommodate the high cost of living in this area (that's what i think it is), that why i had to think twice before deciding to move there. Compared to what i pay for rent here, it's more than double the amount. I know that i have to cut down on some of the other expenses in order to pay rent.

I have been browsing the forum comparing both states and Lehigh valley, PA has lots of things going on that makes me look into west CT more. Honestly, I don`t know much about both, I am just trying to get a clear picture to make a good decision.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
$1500 is nothing in Greenwich. It is one of the most expensive and richest areas in the US. The wealth in Greenwich puts northeast PA to shame. You may want to look north and east from there.

Go on Realtor.com and search for rentals and you'll see what I mean.

Less expensive, family friendly towns a bit further in where you'll get more for your money include Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Newtown, Monroe, Trumbull, Shelton, Milford, Stratford, Fairfield. Generally in CT, the closer to NYC - the more expensive. You'll still be within a reasonable drive to central NJ. I recommend going on Realtor.com to see what your budget will get you in the various towns.

Last edited by Stylo; 04-29-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcda View Post
The reason i am considering west CT and east PA is because both are 1.5-2 hours drive to central NJ. Rent budget is high to accommodate the high cost of living in this area (that's what i think it is), that why i had to think twice before deciding to move there. Compared to what i pay for rent here, it's more than double the amount. I know that i have to cut down on some of the other expenses in order to pay rent.

I have been browsing the forum comparing both states and Lehigh valley, PA has lots of things going on that makes me look into west CT more. Honestly, I don`t know much about both, I am just trying to get a clear picture to make a good decision.
I don't think you realize how expensive it is to live in Greenwich...or all of Southwestern CT for that matter. $1500 might get you a 1 bedroom apartment in Stamford that is clean and modern.

There have been many discussions on this forum about the COL in FFC and the general consensus is you need a household income of about $250K to live a decent life, housing etc.

I think you would do better in Northwest MD (Hagerstown for example. ) or Delaware and you'll still be within shooting distance to central Jersey.

I would not consider SW CT.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM

241 posts, read 543,366 times
If I could make a suggestion, I think that the Main Line area of the Philadelphia suburbs has a lot of similarities to southeastern Connecticut, but you would probably find it much easier to live there on your budget (you still won't be able to live everywhere, but it is definitely less expensive). It is one of the most expensive areas in the Philadelphia region, but the Philly region is not as pricey as the New York region.

Another way to get a quick idea of rents is to look in Craigslist. The cheapest two bedroom currently listed there in Greenwich is going for $1650... However, there are lots of things listed for under $1500 in the Main Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut