Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Atheists to Protest National Day of Prayer in Middletown, CT on May 3 | American Atheists

I stumbled upon this while browsing on atheists.org and saw an event planned in CT.

Apparently, the city of Middletown mayor wants to have a National Day of Prayer at the Middletown city hall in order to promote and endorse religion in public office. This is obviously unconstitutional and violates the First Amendment. As an atheist myself, I wish I could join the protest, but instead I have to work on Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
You finally got one you and I agree on, Nep. I have always admired the irony of organized atheists....

In any case, this is inappropriate. The way it's stated here:

News Feed

Seems to be in direct violation of any Supreme Court interpretation of church/state separation issues. Lives me pretty disgusted. I can only imagine the uproar if the Mayor of West Hartford (which I have been told more than once is "too Jewish") gathered the townsfolk to read the Torah and chant in Hebrew....

Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 AM

281 posts, read 345,322 times
I have always admired the irony of organized atheists....

Well who else would organize against such a thing? To be fair, there are religious people who support the separation of church and state. State-sponsored prayer should be protested against. Not by me, but I'm glad there are people who do.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I wanted to read a less biased news story on the event, and found the link below. It doesn't sound like it's directed to any particular religion, just prayer in general. Let the atheists and the religious all have their say, but respectfully of course. Another quick google, and I found that an official statement from Governor Dannel Malloy will be read at Avon's day of prayer event on the town green. I'm sure I could keep searching and find that there are observations of the day of prayer all over Ct. which include the government in one form or another. My dh is an atheist and he just rolled his eyes. You are going to find extremists in both the religious and the non-religious. Personally, if I were going to do any protesting it would be against our high taxes.

News Feed

5/3/2012 - National Day of Prayer
WIHS Prayer Gathering at Middletown City Hall

Robin Hansen – WIHS – 104.9FM

05/03/2012 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm

Join with Middletown Mayor Dan Drew, State Senator Len Suzio, other government officials and fellow Middletown residents for the 61st Annual National Day of Prayer Gathering at the Middletown Town Hall (245 DeKoven Drive). There will be prayer for our nation, state & city. The event will last just about ½ hour inside the City Council Chamber at Town Hall.

Avon To Honor National Day Of Prayer May 3 - Hartford Courant
AVON — —

The town will observe the National Day of Prayer on Thursday, May 3, at noon on the Town Green.

A proclamation from President Barack Obama and an official statement from Governor Dannel P. Malloy will be read at the ceremony, followed by short prayers led by clergy from area churches.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I wanted to read a less biased news story on the event, and found the link below. It doesn't sound like it's directed to any particular religion, just prayer in general. Let the atheists and the religious all have their say, but respectfully of course. Another quick google, and I found that an official statement from Governor Dannel Malloy will be read at Avon's day of prayer event on the town green. I'm sure I could keep searching and find that there are observations of the day of prayer all over Ct. which include the government in one form or another. My dh is an atheist and he just rolled his eyes. You are going to find extremists in both the religious and the non-religious. Personally, if I were going to do any protesting it would be against our high taxes.

News Feed

5/3/2012 - National Day of Prayer
WIHS Prayer Gathering at Middletown City Hall

Robin Hansen – WIHS – 104.9FM

05/03/2012 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm

Join with Middletown Mayor Dan Drew, State Senator Len Suzio, other government officials and fellow Middletown residents for the 61st Annual National Day of Prayer Gathering at the Middletown Town Hall (245 DeKoven Drive). There will be prayer for our nation, state & city. The event will last just about ½ hour inside the City Council Chamber at Town Hall.

Avon To Honor National Day Of Prayer May 3 - Hartford Courant
AVON — —

The town will observe the National Day of Prayer on Thursday, May 3, at noon on the Town Green.

A proclamation from President Barack Obama and an official statement from Governor Dannel P. Malloy will be read at the ceremony, followed by short prayers led by clergy from area churches.

Wow... I never new supporting true separation of church and state was an extremist position... And the fact that Democratic politicians show their support for it changes my position not one iota...

It's inappropriate... And you can't have "general prayers" or a-religious prayers. The prayers will be Christian-- unless chanted in Hebrew and from the Torah.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

It's inappropriate... And you can't have "general prayers" or a-religious prayers. The prayers will be Christian-- unless chanted in Hebrew and from the Torah.

National Day of Prayer - Thursday, May 3rd (http://www.westavonchurch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=548:n ational-day-of-prayer-thursday-may-3rd&catid=81:church-news&Itemid=560 - broken link)

Short prayers will be led by Pastor Brian and clergy from several churches. The theme this year is from Psalm 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Members of the Avon Town Council will participate as well as Cantors from Farmington Valley Jewish Congregation-Emek Shalom.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
National Day of Prayer - Thursday, May 3rd (http://www.westavonchurch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=548:n ational-day-of-prayer-thursday-may-3rd&catid=81:church-news&Itemid=560 - broken link)

Short prayers will be led by Pastor Brian and clergy from several churches. The theme this year is from Psalm 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Members of the Avon Town Council will participate as well as Cantors from Farmington Valley Jewish Congregation-Emek Shalom.
Regardless-- it is an inappropriate use of town property, funds and facilities. Even when Jews do it.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
regardless-- it is an inappropriate use of town property, funds and facilities. even when jews do it.
lol.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
lol.
Seriously, public prayer led by government officials is something enjoyed in countries like Iran.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Yes, when you have a prayer like this, you are harming so many people so you should be offended. It is obvious they want to pass a law to endorse a specific religion by doing this!!

WOW! Aren't there bigger and better things to being worrying about rather than protesting this? We have poor & hungry and people in need but this gets people motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut