Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachy View Post
OK If they dont want me on their property dont take my phone ON their property. Dumb. And leaving my phone outdoors at the end of their driveway is not exactly helpful. I don't know them either and frankly I am glad I dont. This never would have happened in the South or the Midwest.
That is just about the snobbiest thing I have ever heard.

And complaining about their house being remote and hard to find is kind of ridiculous. Do you expect everyone to live on Main St. just to accommodate you?

Please don't stereotype me and my neighbors. If you don't like Essex don't come to Essex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davfar View Post
OK wow buddy...lets honestly calm down here!

Did you also maybe consider they weren't sure they would be home, and instead of being rude people having you come ALL the way out there they would leave it accessible to you!! Let's think logically and not neurotically!
I would agree with you. I would probably do the same thing because I'm not always home. Nothing wrong with leaving it in the mail box so not to inconvenience either of you. If they didn't trust you they surely wouldn't of wanted you in their mailbox. And as everybody knows on this site I am from the south and the midwest.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
I know this is an older thread but I missed it originally and wanted to add a comment for future readers.

Quote:
They then say I can pick up the phone but they would rather I pick it up from the mailbox at the side of the road down by their long drive way rather than my ringing their doorbell of their Mini Mansion. OH geez.!! They also live way way wayout in the woods in the Essex nowhere near the town center and frankly I would have been easier if I had picked it up from the chipmunks at the nature preserve. I mean why pick up someone's cell phone and bring it home if you are uncomfortable having someone retrieve it at your house !
The only "snob" I see here is you. Life does not revolve around you. Say thank you and be happy someone took the time to contact you.

As for what you consider "snobbery" let me tell you a little real world example - perhaps the other side of the coin.

I have a client in Chester (That's next to Essex). We left a tool there and she called and said "hey xyz tool is here" so I said can you leave it outside for us to pick up? "I'll put it at the end of the road". Yes, it was a loooooooong winding private road "way way way" in the middle of nowhere.

The reason? Well you see, if you go down that road, there is a gate into their main property. Not a gate with lion heads...just a steel grid gate. It adjoins the "integrated" fence that blends into the surrounding woods and corrals about 3 acres. The had to do that because someone decided to go down their road - their property, and their German Sherpherds decide to get a little agressive with the "visitors". No one was "hurt" but after the lawyers got involved they decided to "fence in" a piece of their property surrounding their home.

So you really don't know if these folks have a similar situation or not...perhaps they thought they were doing YOU a favor by leaving it near the main road.

Either way, you should say thank you and move on.

Quote:
This never would have happened in the South or the Midwest.
Pfft, please. Some of the most rude people I have came across were from both places.

Having had extended family 30 miles outside the Quad Cities and living South for over 5 years, I can assure you...the Northeast does not have a lock on "rudeness" by any stretch.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Thank you JViello. Very good points. Jay

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Justpeachy, calm down.

Those people in Essex where paranoid- and a wee cold. Not everyone in the state is like this- look at all the nice cool people here at city data that have been helpful.

As for Halloween a fun time in New England and CT- I buy a pumpkin, carve it out, put it on my front porch and wait for the kids- enjoy the holiday!
That was funny, and very true!

I also agree with another poster that stated that people here in CT seem to be a little more reserved and private than in other parts of the country.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
They took MY phone from the nature trail down a remote road to their home 6 miles away ( which was very difficult for me to find) and left it outside their home outdoors. The phone is fried. Maybe that is a CT idea of kindness. Everywhere else it is rude. I have decided to turn out the lights for the first time in Halloween this year. I dont want to answer the door to CT strangers children who might go on MY property which would technically and legally be trespassing.. There is no reason to do anything nice for anyone you dont know in CT because they are strangers and they could do something awful. You never know.You see I am starting to think like a CT resident. Gonna start tailgating too. HA!
If you didn't like the way they were operating you didn't have to retreive your phone. How many times have you had lost valuables returned to you in California?

You really aren't doing much to dispel the stereotype of Californians as whiny babies with colossal entitlement complexes. Just be happy you were able to benefit from an act of "snobby" Yankee common courtesy.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Hey Jay...I grew up in CA and moved to essex in 2000...people in California would put broken bottles cemented into the top of the high walls that surrounded their properties to prevent intruders. My house in the SF bay area was broken into once when I lived there and four times prior to when we moved there. In California your phone wouldnt have been returned it would have been sold...

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
Default Now Who's Stereotyping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
I would never open the door for someone I didn't know. Not in this day and age. I have two toddlers, and there is no way I'd be OK with a perfect stranger coming to my door when I was home alone with them. What is the problem with picking up your phone from the mailbox? Wouldn't it have been more inconvenient to have to chose an exact time to pick up the phone in case they weren't home?

Would you really prefer they walked right past your cell phone? What if someone found it and ran up tons of charges? Maybe it would have been better for them to leave it at the police station, but they probably thought they were doing you a favor.

We briefly considered moving to Essex, and found nothing but kind, helpful people there. If anything, I felt people went out of their way to help (esp the people on these boards). But then again, I'm from NJ, where rudeness reigns .
Why is it all right for you to have an opinion about your region, yet it is unfair for this person to voice her experience with an Essex family. Of course it is unfair to sterotype anyone or anything, even as I did in my blog. It was kind of these people to call her about her phone, but there is an underlying tone that the phone mattered more thn the woman and I think she is aware of this indirect message. You, too, are voicing your experience in NJ. Why is this all right for you, but not for her? The impetus of expressing our opinions comes from our experiences. I think this woman is being scorned for expressing her sadness. It sounds like she is sad, because she feels insulted by these people who took more concern with an object than a human. If one sits back and looks at this objectively, this story is an indication of how disconnected we are becoming as a society, whether that be in Essex, CT, the Midwest, CA, the U.S. or globally. Isn't it time we become human again and become connected with each other rather than hiding from one another? Isn't it time we communities start becoming involved and getting to know our neighbors. if I understand this woman correctly, she is unhappy about the lack of human connection of this situation. She is not down on them for finding the phone. It's the impersonal matter, in which they chose to go about it.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff kain View Post
If one sits back and looks at this objectively, this story is an indication of how disconnected we are becoming as a society, whether that be in Essex, CT, the Midwest, CA, the U.S. or globally. Isn't it time we become human again and become connected with each other rather than hiding from one another? Isn't it time we communities start becoming involved and getting to know our neighbors. if I understand this woman correctly, she is unhappy about the lack of human connection of this situation. She is not down on them for finding the phone. It's the impersonal matter, in which they chose to go about it.
I believe that people want to be connected to other people by choice, not because of physical proximity (or because of a chance recovery of lost property). Some chosen friends may be neighbors, but I don't know anyone who likes *all* their neighbors. I certainly don't want to be connected to or friendly with every person in Connecticut -- too many people! We choose our connections.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Quote:
This is a true story. I lost my cell phone on a nature trail in the Essex area. I figured it was a goner since it rained buckets the day after I lost it. A week after I lost it I got a phone call message saying a person had found my phone. He said he figured the last 2 calls were the owner trying to locate the phone. OK so I call back the number and say yup I am the owner and I lost my phone and thanked him profusely. I tell him my name and where I live. He and his wife live in a wealthy area. I live in a modest income but perfectly respectible town. They then say I can pick up the phone but they would rather I pick it up from the mailbox at the side of the road down by their long drive way rather than my ringing their doorbell of their Mini Mansion. OH geez.!! They also live way way way out in the woods in the Essex nowhere near the town center and frankly I would have been easier if I had picked it up from the chipmunks at the nature preserve. I mean why pick up someone's cell phone and bring it home if you are uncomfortable having someone retrieve it at your house ! Anyway --an an example of typical Essex snobbery.
Oh please, it was just easier for them to leave it in the mailbox because you wouldn't have to coordinate schedules for a face to face pick up. They were nice enough to call you and got it back to you, why get all upset about a perceived snub?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut