Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 55,439 times

Advertisements

This is a true story. I lost my cell phone on a nature trail in the Essex area. I figured it was a goner since it rained buckets the day after I lost it. A week after I lost it I got a phone call message saying a person had found my phone. He said he figured the last 2 calls were the owner trying to locate the phone. OK so I call back the number and say yup I am the owner and I lost my phone and thanked him profusely. I tell him my name and where I live. He and his wife live in a wealthy area. I live in a modest income but perfectly respectible town. They then say I can pick up the phone but they would rather I pick it up from the mailbox at the side of the road down by their long drive way rather than my ringing their doorbell of their Mini Mansion. OH geez.!! They also live way way way out in the woods in the Essex nowhere near the town center and frankly I would have been easier if I had picked it up from the chipmunks at the nature preserve. I mean why pick up someone's cell phone and bring it home if you are uncomfortable having someone retrieve it at your house ! Anyway --an an example of typical Essex snobbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM

3,482 posts, read 9,383,054 times
The whole town is snobby because of one weird guy? Obviously you don't like being stereotyped because of the town you live in, why not offer the same courtesy to the people of Essex?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:24 PM

34,682 posts, read 56,465,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The whole town is snobby because of one weird guy? Obviously you don't like being stereotyped because of the town you live in, why not offer the same courtesy to the people of Essex?
I agree. There are snobby people everywhere. At least he had the courtesy to contact you and return the phone. Someone else wouldn't have bothered. Jay

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM

148 posts, read 736,016 times
I personally wouldn't consider that to be snobby. Maybe they don't want people on their property. I mean, they don't know you. Who knows who you could be. You should be grateful they found your phone!!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,971,037 times
Just peachy

you are a new person to the state, I read in another post, from California.
Adjusting to the northeast and Connecticut takes time- the culture here is very different then California. Folks here have a very strong sense of privacy- and are not as dare I say 'uninhibited' in their daily goings on as some in California.

However, I wonder if you decided to 'wander' onto the private property of someone in an upscale community in California? Their reaction could be similar- right? Snobbery? Perhaps not...... In any case welcome- I enjoy Californians. And at least they gave you your phone back!

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-19-2007 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-19-2007, 06:19 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,638,303 times
Geez, I really don't find anything snobby in that at all. Cautious, yes, but he called you and you are getting your phone back. Sounds actually like you want it to be easier for you (your words).

Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM

14 posts, read 55,439 times
My point was that if they can't trust another person to come to pick up their phone at their house, then don't pick up the phone in the first place and bring it 5 miles away to their very remote location. They could have just left a message on my answering machine that the phone was at the trailhead and I would have picked it up there. They were just weird and snobby on the phone about my coming to pick up the phone at their home after they brought it home. They were very odd. Frankly THEY could have been the axe murderers! Trust works 2 ways!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM

3,482 posts, read 9,383,054 times
I agree that their behavior is weird and they very well might have been the biggest snobs to ever grace the Connecticut River Valley for all I know. I think the rest of us were trying to make the point that these people don't represent the town of Essex as a whole. There are weird/snobby/messed up/maniacal (insert whatever name you want here) people in every town.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 AM

34,682 posts, read 56,465,514 times
Justpeachy - I hope you don't feel we are attacking you. I do not think it is that unusual for people to be a bit cautious these days. I also hope you will not judge everyone in Essex by this person. Welcome to Connecticut and try to enjoy what makes this area so wonderful. Jay

Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,971,037 times
Hey Jay

not to be too cynical and jaded, your I do not think it is that unusual for people to be a bit cautious these days. is now more true then ever. People have become increasingly paranoid in a world of diminishing resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut