Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM

139 posts, read 355,435 times

Advertisements

Our family is likely moving back to CT after a short relocation down south (big mistake). Our daughter has attended private schools, but we won't be able to afford them anymore. We're looking for a town that has an outstanding middle and high school, gifted programs for middle and high schoolers, family oriented activities, reasonable property taxes, and a private swim club. Yah, it's a lot. Farmington's schools seem better and taxes are lower than Glastonbury, but I don't know about their school's gifted programs, how family oriented the town is (dance studios, music lessons, theater for kids), or if there's a swim club. Any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Personally I like Farmington better. Both have top-notch schools, but IMO it's overall a better investment for what you're looking for - lower taxes, a bit more diverse, and even though either town can probably provide what you're looking for education wise, I think this is the better of the two. It's also closer to shopping (WestFarms mall is partly located here) and highway access (in this case, I-84).

Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Both Glastonbury and Farmington are excellent towns to raise a family in. There are a lot of family activities including those you are looking for.

I am not sure why you say that Farmington schools perform better than Glastonbury. Glastonbury high school students perform higher than Farmington on the reading, math and science sections of the Connecticut Academic Performance Test. I am not sure how the gifted programs compare in either town.

I wlll admit that taxes are most likely lower in Farmington since there is a larger tax base but there is also a lot more traffic in Farmington than Glastonbury. Unless you live very close to I-84, getting to the western part of Farmington can be difficult with Route 4 having some of the worst traffic in greater Hartford.

That said, you should visit both towns to see which suits you best. I would also consider the commute that you would have to face each day. If you work east or south of Hartford, I would recommend Glastonbury over Farmington. If you work west of Hartford, then consider Farmington. If you work downtown I would give Glastonbury a better recommendation. It is closer and Route 2 into downtown is easier than I-84 west of Hartford. Jay

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
You also have the option of 91 south to route 3 to get into glastonbury so I personally think Glastonbury offers better highway access than Farmington. Again - depends on where you will work.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Glastonbury is more family oriented than Farmington IMO. Farmington has tons of apartment and condo complexes, West Farms Mall, and the UConn Health Center. Glastonbury has a few apartment and condo complexes and a small shopping area. It also has Whole Foods, Home Depot and Barnes & Noble.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Jay, one of the reasons I favored Farmington is because they do offer special programs for autistic children (one of my neighbors is a kindergarten teacher there and instructs students with autism). Usually these communities are inclined to offer other alternatives - including AP and other high-level courses for gifted, precocious students. Maybe Glastonbury does provide that as well.

And on a more personal note, my preference is toward Farmington because I've found people there to be a bit nicer. Without turning this into a debate about how big the snob factor is somewhere, I've been to a number of restaurants and pubs in Glastonbury with friends, and people there have been really rude to us. We've never done anything to provoke or antagonize anyone, yet we've gotten alot of attitude and condecension from people here. Not saying this can't happen elsewhere, but from my own experiences? That's what I've dealt with.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 AM

I should have clarified that I lived in Manchester 1 mile over the Glastonbury border for 35 years, then in Southington close to Farmington. I'm a true Nutmegger who doesn't fit in in the south. lol Love many things about both towns, but am nervous about having my daughter switch from academically challenging private schools to public. Checked CT's education website, school digger, and great schools. All indicate that Farmington's schools are better. SAT scores are similiar, but CAPT scores for Farmington are a little better. Farmington's middle school is ranked #15 and Glastonbury (Smith) #33; Farmington's high school is ranked #13 and Glastonbury #45. Big differences when there's only 170 towns. I guess it should come down to the gifted programs they offer since that's what we hope she does.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
I should have clarified that I lived in Manchester 1 mile over the Glastonbury border for 35 years, then in Southington close to Farmington. I'm a true Nutmegger who doesn't fit in in the south. lol Love many things about both towns, but am nervous about having my daughter switch from academically challenging private schools to public. Checked CT's education website, school digger, and great schools. All indicate that Farmington's schools are better. SAT scores are similiar, but CAPT scores for Farmington are a little better. Farmington's middle school is ranked #15 and Glastonbury (Smith) #33; Farmington's high school is ranked #13 and Glastonbury #45. Big differences when there's only 170 towns. I guess it should come down to the gifted programs they offer since that's what we hope she does.
I do not really believe most of those websites that rate schools. I could never understand their logic or rating system. I have seen some very well respected schools with lower ratings so I would question what they use as a basis and if that applies to you. As I noted Glastonbury High School performs higher on the Connecticut Academic Performance Tests in three of the four areas of standardized testing. How then does a ratings website rate GHS so much lower? Does not make sense really.

All that said, the point of this should be that both towns have excellent schools and which one is better is really splitting hairs. Either town could provide your child with a very good education. I would look more at your commute and character of the town than just the schools. JMHO, Jay

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Jay, one of the reasons I favored Farmington is because they do offer special programs for autistic children (one of my neighbors is a kindergarten teacher there and instructs students with autism). Usually these communities are inclined to offer other alternatives - including AP and other high-level courses for gifted, precocious students. Maybe Glastonbury does provide that as well.

And on a more personal note, my preference is toward Farmington because I've found people there to be a bit nicer. Without turning this into a debate about how big the snob factor is somewhere, I've been to a number of restaurants and pubs in Glastonbury with friends, and people there have been really rude to us. We've never done anything to provoke or antagonize anyone, yet we've gotten alot of attitude and condecension from people here. Not saying this can't happen elsewhere, but from my own experiences? That's what I've dealt with.
I cannot comment on the special needs programs offered in Glastonbury verses those in Farmington except to say that a good friend of ours here is a SEd teacher in another town and she feels what Glastonbury offers is a good program. I know that the town also has AP and higher level classes as well.

As for snobs, most affluent communities have them so I cannot deny Glastonbury does too. I do think a lot of that depends on what restaurant you were hanging out at. Places like the MAX restaurants or Bricco does have them but then again I have also seen people like this at Apricots in Farmington too. Glastonbury is kind of the center for affluent dining east of the Connecticut River while to the west of the river it is West Hartford. Farmington does not have as many upscale restaurants simply because West Hartford is so close. If you go to more moderate restaurants like Piatti or Hannifin's you may see a difference. Jay

Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Commuting isnt a factor and snob factor isnt an issue. I currently live in a wealthier town than both of these and have dined and shopped in Glastonbuy and afarmington most of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut