Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM

20 posts, read 32,112 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from New Haven to one of these 2 towns within the next 2 months and we're looking for opinions and life experiences from people that know these towns. We're aware of the obvious differences such as West Hartford having more traffic, more restaurants, more to do in general and Guilford having a bit more charm, more land and the wonderful green. We are really torn and would appreciate insight about the people in each town, the culture and things that maybe can't easily be found by researching the datasheets on this site.

We have 2 young girls and school quality is the most important factor along with finding a family friendly neighborhood. I know people that live in West Hartford and it seems like there is an endless amount of things to do but I fear that Guilford may be a bit too quiet and not have quite enough going on. Of course the taxes in west hartford are very high and guilford is pretty reasonable so that is a big factor in terms of house affordability.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated as a decision needs to be made ASAP! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM

21,475 posts, read 27,718,190 times
Guilford's taxes are WAY lower. West Hartford does have a bit more activity, but keep in mind in Guilford you are just 15-20 minutes from New Haven which IMO has more to do than the Hartford metro area (which you should know by now).

Guilford is certainly quieter and what you prefer will make all the difference. If you like the coastal lifestyle, the beach, boating, fishing, kayaking - there's lots to do in that respect. Also, you are closer to Rhode Island for ocean beach and Newport trips. Really, do you prefer being inland or coastal? It's a big difference in feel.

Guilford, Branford and Madison have enough shopping and dining options. If you need more, it's the Clinton Crossing outlets and New Haven (or even Milford) easily accessible.

West Hartford certainly has one of the best downtowns in CT, so if being in close proximity to that sort of lively walkable area is important - you really can't beat it. Guilford's green is beautiful, but much more low key.

Schools in both towns are great. Can't go wrong. Madison should also be considered, I know someone in their high school that is fairly high up in the administration and she says it's by far the best school she's ever worked at in her 40+ years.

I'm assuming you've spent ample time in both places?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,692,734 times
Stylo is spot on in his assessment of these town towns.

What you're looking at is apples and oranges. People looking for a suburban lifestyle won't be happy in West Hartford and if you're looking for semi-urban lifestyle you won't be happy in Guilford.

West Hartford's wonderful walkable town center, Blue Back Square, restaurants, bars, wine bars, things to do in the evening is mostly adult centered. This is child free entertainment. With small children and if you're working all week, ask yourself how often you're going to be able to take advantage of it.

With kids, you have the same amount of programs and stuff in each town with exception that Guilford has both Long Island Sound and lake beaches.
Here's a link to Guilford's park and rec department. Read through for things to do with children. You can find the same online for West Hartford.

Welcome to Guilford Parks and Recreation

West Hartford is going to offer, for the most part, an older housing stock on small lots and high taxes. Guilford will give you a range of housing choices. Only you can decide how much lawn care you want to take on on weekends or if you're in a income bracket to hire someone to do it for you.

You're only in New Haven, close enough for lots of visits. Seriously start spending Saturdays and Sundays in each town. If you're going to be buying, have a realtor in each town show you around. Get a feel for neighborhoods in your price range and what you desire in a home. Only by multiple visits are you going to chose which town feels like " home" and which will get you something in your budget..

Good luck

Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,825,530 times
I would go with Guilford, in your situation. It's probably a better town to raise kids in, overall. And it's cheaper than West Hartford. If you want major shopping, you can drive to Old Saybrook or the North Haven.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM

20 posts, read 32,112 times
thanks for the great responses. i guess i should also ask if there are other towns to consider that satisfy these requirements:

1. excellent schools
2. north and or east of new haven but still less than an hour commute

we've considered cheshire, old lyme and glastonbury briefly but each of those towns fell short of guilford and west hartford in some respect for us. Willing to hear arguments for or against any of them or new suggestions. thanks again to everyone.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,712,739 times
I don't know Guilford at all. But there is one additional thing you might want to consider. If your children have an interest in music, West Hartford has a very strong school music program. In addition, there is the Hartt School of Music's Community Division, through which many children take lessons and participate in musical ensembles.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 AM

21,475 posts, read 27,718,190 times
Woodbridge, Orange, Bethany, Madison.

WH is over an hour commute to NH.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 3,902,169 times
I would throw Southbury in the mix, although I think it would be hard to go wrong with Guilford.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Where will you be working? Both of these towns are nice but they really are not near each other. They are suburbs of completely different metropolitan areas.

I would suggest that you live in the town closest to your job which if it is in New Haven, then I would recommend Guilford. The time wasted commuting to one of these towns is just not worth it. Jay

Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,599,352 times
I would say to consider how you want your children to spend their youth. The major differences here are population density, diversity, and then also the land itself. Guilford has huge nature preserves and a decent amount of private and public beaches (LIS and lake) -- 22,000 people in 50 sq mi; vs West Hartford's 64,000 people in 22.5 sq mi. As I see it, that is the big difference. If you'll be in West Hartford, then you're nearly urban. In Guilford, you'll have to drive or take the train to New Haven (or NYC if you like) for urban vibe. West Hartford has so much going on and great restaurants, vibrant scene. Compared to that, Guilford is more relaxed, probably has more Colonial/historical character, and coastal atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut