U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 3,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That would make a big difference actually.

In that case, I would suggest looking into a town like Monroe. From Monroe, the Ridgefield-bound can take 84 to exit 3 (or 2, depending on where in Ridgefield) and the New Haven bound can take either RT34 or RT15 to 95.

Oxford is another suggestion.
But I've heard terrible things about 84 approaching Danbury during rush-hour. From Monroe, what would it turn that commute into? And I felt comfortable that the New Haven commute on the Merritt coming out of Trumbull was going to be pretty reasonable, but does Monroe add a lot of time onto that trip?

Stylo: No, not Boehringer, but close to there, so same general commute.

Hmmm, this is discouraging. I just don't want either of us signed up for interminable commutes because we're both coming from fantastic (30 minutes roundtrip) commutes.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM

11,364 posts, read 10,770,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles89 View Post
But I've heard terrible things about 84 approaching Danbury during rush-hour. From Monroe, what would it turn that commute into? And I felt comfortable that the New Haven commute on the Merritt coming out of Trumbull was going to be pretty reasonable, but does Monroe add a lot of time onto that trip?

Stylo: No, not Boehringer, but close to there, so same general commute.

Hmmm, this is discouraging. I just don't want either of us signed up for interminable commutes because we're both coming from fantastic (30 minutes roundtrip) commutes.
84 going west toward Danbury is not nearly as bad as the Merritt going south - so actually, the Monroe > Danbury commute will be easier than the Trumbull > Wilton commute (I used Danbury and Wilton since they are the exit points).

The Monroe > New Haven commute isn't terrible. It's pretty similar to Trumbull > New Haven. From Monroe, you'll take the same roads - it's just about 5-10 minutes further.

That all being said, neither commute will be like your current one - 30 minutes roundtrip. You're looking at closer to 35-40 minutes each way.

Unread 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

39 posts, read 21,435 times
That all being said, neither commute will be like your current one - 30 minutes roundtrip. You're looking at closer to 35-40 minutes each way.[/quote]

You think you could make that ridgefield trip in 40 from Monroe? I was imagining the new haven leg would be 40 minutes, and ridgefield from Monroe or trumbull area would be 90 minutes at least. Maybe I'm overblowing how bad the traffic is here?

Unread 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM

9,366 posts, read 5,751,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
84 going west toward Danbury is not nearly as bad as the Merritt going south - so actually, the Monroe > Danbury commute will be easier than the Trumbull > Wilton commute (I used Danbury and Wilton since they are the exit points).
Actually, for that stretch they're comparable. Remember, they're only going maybe a couple exits of traffic on the Merritt before exit 42, whereas to get to Ridgefield you have to go through ALL of Danbury. That part of the Merritt has a parallel backroad you can take to quickly skip the traffic on really bad days, whereas a similar option does not exist on 84. I've done both commutes and I can't say one is better than the other. Neither is as bad as some would suggest. They're both fairly easy in comparison to some other stretches in CT.

That said, if the OP is looking to commute to the Boehringer area, 84 is a no brainer. Monroe and Oxford are great suggestions. On most days, neither the Ridgefield or New Haven commutes should be more than 45 minutes. It's really not that bad. 10-15 minute delays are common in Danbury going west with heavy days. It only gets worse if there's an accident, and then you'll just take backroads anyway. It's not like Norwalk to Stamford or anything like that.

Unread 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM

Well it's good to hear that it's doable. But it's hard to get my head around guaranteed 45-60 minute commutes each way, for both of us, in perpetuity. And my wife isn't pleased at all, especially given concerns about our family situation, which is one 2 year old and hopefully another on the way soon.

The Ridgefield job isn't locked in yet, and we'll need to give this serious thought. I appreciate that in this area a 45 minute commute is probably considered a gift, given the horrendous treks so many have into NYC each day. But it's certainly not ideal.

Plus, we're not huge fans of either Monroe or Oxford. They certainly aren't bad towns, but there's also nothing particularly memorable about them either. We've been doing a lot of research as we try to settle on where we're going to end up (both for jobs and towns), and we've been left with the following general feeling: lots of charm in Fairfield County (at a huge price), lots of charm in the towns east of New Haven (Branford, Guilford, Madison), lots of charm across Litchfield County (a little remote, but very nice), and then some nice spots around New Haven, including Milford. Then there's a pocket of towns that strike us as essentially an extended suburb--Monroe, Trumbull, Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, Oxford, Orange, Bethany. None of them are bad towns--it just all depends on what you want. They weren't exactly what we had in mind when we imagined what Connecticut could be for us and our family.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots to think about. A little depressing.

Unread 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM

13,359 posts, read 20,049,722 times
Have you considered Newtown or Southbury? Newtown has a charming small town center that gives it some character. Southbury has some charm as well. Certainly not as much as other towns you mentioned but there is some. Jay

Unread 05-26-2012, 08:55 AM

So I have a friend from Newtown who adores the place, and can't say enough nice things about it. Only been there once and thought it had potential. Southbury struck us as kind of a backwater--not Oxford, but pretty blah. But for either, what does that do to the New Haven commute. I would agree that being in Newtown or Southbury, right on 84, would be a huge help to the Ridgefield trip, but just wonder if it pushes the NH trip to a solid hour at least. Why doesn't this state build some highways, or more rail lines?

Unread 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,730,048 times
Quote:
Why doesn't this state build some highways, or more rail lines?
It's a little late for that. FFC is pretty heavily developed, you'd have to displace hundreds, if not thousands, of residential homes in order to build a new highway or rail line. Not to mention the astronomical cost. And to be honest, I really wouldn't want a highway going through my backyard, even if it did reduce some people's commutes. You'll find a lot of people with the same sentiment.

Unread 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

11,364 posts, read 10,770,712 times
Quote:
Why doesn't this state build some highways, or more rail lines?
LOL, well you just listed a huge swath of towns and complained that they were like one large suburb - from Trumbull to Bethany. More highways would only make it more suburban. Most people looking for "charm" aren't looking for more highways. Plus, there is a HUGE difference between a town like Derby and a town like Oxford - I would suggest you drop Ansonia and Derby from your list (if they were even on it). How far in to each town did you go? If you only traveled Route 34, you're missing 99% of each town along it (except for Derby). Take Route 188 up through Oxford, cross over on Governors Hill to Route 67. Lots of old homes, new homes, woods, hills, oak trees, etc. Drive around the towns a little bit. Go down some culdesacs and stop and ask a few questions to families hanging outside. Most people will be happy to talk about the town they live in.

For commuting, I'd really say Monroe and Oxford are exactly halfway from New Haven and Ridgefield. Southbury is about 10-15 minutes closer to Ridgefield, as is Newtown. A Southbury > New Haven commute can get tough IMO.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're looking for. There really isn't a huge difference between Newtown, Monroe, Oxford and Southbury. Both Monroe and Oxford are beautiful, rural, family friendly towns that the vast majority of people would be more than happy to live in.

Unread 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM

9,366 posts, read 5,751,784 times
Quote:
Well it's good to hear that it's doable. But it's hard to get my head around guaranteed 45-60 minute commutes each way, for both of us, in perpetuity. And my wife isn't pleased at all, especially given concerns about our family situation, which is one 2 year old and hopefully another on the way soon.

The Ridgefield job isn't locked in yet, and we'll need to give this serious thought. I appreciate that in this area a 45 minute commute is probably considered a gift, given the horrendous treks so many have into NYC each day. But it's certainly not ideal.

Plus, we're not huge fans of either Monroe or Oxford. They certainly aren't bad towns, but there's also nothing particularly memorable about them either. We've been doing a lot of research as we try to settle on where we're going to end up (both for jobs and towns), and we've been left with the following general feeling: lots of charm in Fairfield County (at a huge price), lots of charm in the towns east of New Haven (Branford, Guilford, Madison), lots of charm across Litchfield County (a little remote, but very nice), and then some nice spots around New Haven, including Milford. Then there's a pocket of towns that strike us as essentially an extended suburb--Monroe, Trumbull, Shelton, Seymour, Ansonia, Derby, Oxford, Orange, Bethany. None of them are bad towns--it just all depends on what you want. They weren't exactly what we had in mind when we imagined what Connecticut could be for us and our family.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots to think about. A little depressing.
45 minutes isn't bad. I believe 30 minutes is around the average nationwide these days. You'd get used to it very quickly, and like you said, many people deal with worse in the northeast.

Also, take solace that it's not a super stressful 45 minutes. Much of the drive is fairly relaxed, and lot of it is scenic.

I totally hear you on the "extended suburb" area of CT. That's why I settled in Milford for FFC (and possibly New Haven) job access and moved from the Danbury area. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut