U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM

52 posts, read 48,369 times
Default NY to CT? Maybe.....

Hi, CT neighbors. We've been thinking of making a move to CT, and would appreciate any input.

Would prefer a commute of 1 hour or less to lower Westchester. Schools are important, of course. Test scores aren't the only thing that defines a school, IMHO, since I think there's more ways to judge a school (no offense to those who differ). We have experience with the supposed "best" school. Good, but not fantastic-and I'm not the only one with that opinion. Don't really want too rural an area but want an area that may have a community pool and a day camp-the more kid activities available the better.

Not looking for a McMansion. Would love to be in an area where there is a nice range of incomes-don't want to be the poorest, or the richest ( yeah, right....!)

Can anyone fill me in on New Fairfield, Shelton, Stratford, Trumbull, Wilton and anything similar? At this point Ridgefield, Redding, Danbury, Brookfield, Bethel and Norwalk aren't in the running.

I am curious about Stratford-the prices seem so low-is it because of the proximity to Bridgeport? Also, I heard that you don't go to the neighborhood elementary school there-you're assigned a school?

We are thinking of moving in June (renting first, while looking) so we have plenty of time to get comfortable before school starts.

Of course we need a realtor recommendation (or a warning!) either dm or here All info is appreciated. If this doesn't work then North Carolina here we come!
Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM

10,265 posts, read 7,091,444 times
Where in lower Westchester? The commute is daunting along 95/Merritt with the traffic and it's hard to recommend unless your work is near a train stop accessible by the New Haven line. If it is, I would recommend Milford #1, and then Stratford or Shelton. Fairfield is great but quite a bit more expensive. If your work isn't accessible by the New Haven line I'd recommend Bethel or New Fairfield. Not sure why Bethel isn't in the running and Danbury is, it's a great little town and good for a lower Westchester car commute.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM

11,762 posts, read 11,937,695 times
Milford is not a one hour trip to Westchester by train. It's at least 65-70 minutes on the train before you factor in going to and from the station.

That being said, if you think Stratford's prices are super low, you'll be fine with Fairfield - plus it's a little closer than Stratford. I recommend you start there.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Milford is not a one hour trip to Westchester by train. It's at least 65-70 minutes on the train before you factor in going to and from the station.

That being said, if you think Stratford's prices are super low, you'll be fine with Fairfield - plus it's a little closer than Stratford. I recommend you start there.
Depends on where. Even from Fairfield it's only a few minutes shorter and 60+ minutes to pretty much anything but Port Chester.

Which is why the Danbury area makes more sense for that commute. Maybe even Ridgefield. No budget OR work location has been posted so it's hard to make that call.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
No budget OR work location has been posted so it's hard to make that call.
Going by their previous posts (in February), they considered Ridgefield, Redding, Katonah, etc. I'm guessing they can probably afford Fairfield and possibly even Westport.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Ridgefield is probably the best choice then.

Or Bethel if they want to save some money and/or live in a more middle of the road community.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Ridgefield is probably the best choice then.

Or Bethel if they want to save some money and/or live in a more middle of the road community.
That's what I was thinking too - perhaps Wilton too so they can have easier access to both the Merritt and back roads.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 AM

93 posts, read 106,766 times
Ridgefield, if it's in your budget. Second choice, New Fairfield. Both towns border NY state and offer easy access to lower westchester via I684. Ridgefield is closer though.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM

52 posts, read 48,369 times
Thanks for the replies. Budget: Not very high, that's for sure. We are middle class, more blue collar than white, and want a community that has economic diversity. As far as Danbury-just don't care for it. Have heard New Fairfield is a nice locale. Westport, New Canaan, and the like are out of budget, I believe. Probably Ridgefield is too. I though Bethel was far-maybe we need investigate.

The commute would be to White Plains, and sometimes it's off hours, which is helpful. Never thought of the train, honestly, but it could work.

Making a decision is hard but valuable information is certainly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Bethel to White Plains is not bad at all. Train is not necessary from that area since the traffic isn't really that bad. Although you theoretically could from, say, Brewster or Katonah.

Train is not an option from the Stratford/Milford area and you do not want to do that commute by car.

I'd say New Fairfield and Bethel are both great options for you. Bethel has more of an "identity" with its nice downtown, and more restaurants/shopping/etc. New Fairfield gives a little better access to White Plains.

Brookfield is another option, but like New Fairfield - it lacks that town center and activity that Bethel has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut