Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,134,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Are you suggesting I am a thug because I like to get coffee at Hartford Baking Co. which is on New Park Ave?

Back to the OP - I always tell people if you know nothing about the town and randomly pick an area to live, you'd probably be fine about 95% of the time. If you were on Oakwood avenue close to New Park Ave or past it, not so much. There's only one small area of instability and this is basically it.

If you are referring to those streets off Prospect like Boulanger and Levesque Avenues, or those streets east of New Park like Hollywood or Abbottsford Avenue, I agree that it's a little dicey. A friend of mine used to live in Brookstone Court, that apartment complex on Hillcrest Ave. Not a bad area per se but it's about 3 blocks away from a not-so-nice part of Hartford, so it's not a neighborhood I would choose to live in. It's not a high-crime area, you can drive through here without fearing your safety, and even here most people cut their lawns and take care of their property. But it's so isolated from pretty much everything and there's a higher probability that you will be a victim of crime due to reasons you stated earlier.

I agree with this. My mother grew up in WH, and we had and still have friends and family in WH. The area above I would say is sketchy, and any area too close to Hartford. I love the Park Road area and WH Center. But I can't see anything horrible about the area you (the OP) mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM

691 posts, read 1,144,457 times
I just love the spin you tend to put on everything, Jay. Political career in another life, per chance?

So ancient homes are 'charming and interesting'

Tell me: how 'charming and interesting' is that oil heat delivery bill you pay every winter? How 'charming and interesting' is hearing your neighbor's every move? How 'charming and interesting' is lacking central air on an 85 degree, 90% humidity day? How 'charming and interesting' is that $10k+ bill to fix that roof that should have been replaced 20 years ago? Need I go on?

Yeah, I'll take the 'McMansion'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but much of what you do not like is personal opinion. The age of the housing would not be a problem to most people. Older homes are more charming and interesting unless you want to pay big $$$ for a newer home.

Traffic congestion exists on all of Hartford area highways including I-84, I-91 and Route 2. That is typical of urban areas. Traffic in the town center means that the center is thriving and lively. Traffic in West Hartford Center is really not that bad.

Being close to Hartford is not necessarily a bad thing for people who commute into the city. Who wants to sit in traffic on a highway for 30 minutes everyday?

As for snooty attitude, this can be found in any affluent suburb of a major US city. I would not call it a "New York" thing. I know many New Yorkers who are very nice and very down to earth. I also know many people from other parts of the country who are snobs.

Finally, I cannot believe that Trader Joe's has not opened another store in the greater Hartford area. It seems like it would be a no brainer to them to have several store around the metropolitain area. Maybe one day soon. Jay

Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
There are 46 listings in West Hartford that were built after 1992 right now. There's hardly a lack of newer construction. It is a great town.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,148,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
I just love the spin you tend to put on everything, Jay. Political career in another life, per chance?

So ancient homes are 'charming and interesting'

Tell me: how 'charming and interesting' is that oil heat delivery bill you pay every winter? How 'charming and interesting' is hearing your neighbor's every move? How 'charming and interesting' is lacking central air on an 85 degree, 90% humidity day? How 'charming and interesting' is that $10k+ bill to fix that roof that should have been replaced 20 years ago? Need I go on?

Yeah, I'll take the 'McMansion'
Older homes tend to have much less "bleed." As well most houses that are 20years and older have smaller rooms. Both these things tend to save a significant ammount of energy.

I've lived in a pretty dense neighbourhood all my life and rarely heard surroundings. You need A/C in Connecticut? Really? Maybe two weeks out of the year is it needed. As for roofs, that's always a crapshoot honestly. "Newer" =/= "lower housing upkeep costs."

Old 06-01-2012, 01:41 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
You need A/C in Connecticut? Really? Maybe two weeks out of the year is it needed.
Two weeks? What?!? No way, especially if your bedrooms are on the second floor. I have my central air on for at least two months.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM

11,252 posts, read 18,752,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the OP ventured into Hartford proper without knowing it.
That's what I was thinking originally when I read this, I remember that area when I was up there 3 summers ago and it was hard to tell if I was actually in West Hartford or Hartford itself.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Two weeks? What?!? No way, especially if your bedrooms are on the second floor. I have my central air on for at least two months.
To each his own I guess. I probably use the central AC about two weeks total out of every year as well. I used it for one night earlier this week when it was hot. I can't imagine having it on for two months.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

9,820 posts, read 14,677,678 times
I always suggest people that want an urban setting in Connecticut to move to Stamford, since it really is one of the safest spots in the country and one of the safest cities in Connecticut. No dodging bullets here.

But, alas, I don't think Stamford is the most convenient place for you since I'm assuming you probably work in the Hartford area and its not the type of job you can just leave and/or replace elsewhere. Right?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I always suggest people that want an urban setting in Connecticut to move to Stamford, since it really is one of the safest spots in the country and one of the safest cities in Connecticut. No dodging bullets here.

But, alas, I don't think Stamford is the most convenient place for you since I'm assuming you probably work in the Hartford area and its not the type of job you can just leave and/or replace elsewhere. Right?
There is no dodging bullets in West Hartford. That's just ridiculous. The 2 cities actually have almost identical crime rates, with West Hartford actually having lower crime in the last reported year.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There is no dodging bullets in West Hartford. That's just ridiculous. The 2 cities actually have almost identical crime rates, with West Hartford actually having lower crime in the last reported year.
I don't know man, I recently saw this band of thugs on the corner in the center.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut