Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
68 I think the average age? LOL

I like and respect older folks but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
When people retire to the South, I don't think they're thinking of what happens 15-20 years or so down the road when they become the frail elderly. They're thinking they've worked all their lives and want 15-20 years to enjoy themselves. For many retirees, they just don't want to deal with the cold , snow, ice etc. anymore.

To say someone shouldn't move, should age in place, because they're going to make life difficult for relatives in 20 years may not be a reasonable choice. Who is to say that if the retiree stays in CT that their relatives will also ? Job transfers, divorce, etc. can send the adult kids / other relatives all over the country unwillingly. Then the retiree is stuck in CT alone or has to make a choice to follow family around the country to places they may not want to live. And moving multiple times is very hard on elderly people.
Who is to say that the younger relatives will actually outlive the older ones or be in a position to help them as they age ?

This is all a very personal decision with lots of factors to consider. No one size fits all here.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Even retiring to the south should be reviewed carefully. Those tax savings could easily be eaten up by airfares to go back and forth a couple of times a year. And medical care in SOME of the south is questionable. I have family that has suffered from poor medical care and other family who pay a fortune to fly back and forth to see doctors in New York because they could not find the care they were use to down there. And then there is the cost to the rest of the family who have to take extended time off from work and fly down to check on them and advocate for them when there is a medical situation. This is particularly important as you age and your health begins to decline. Jay
My aunt and uncle also come back to Connecticut and New York for medical care.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

130 posts, read 322,927 times
I left Fairfield---born in Bridgeport---over 30 years ago and still miss it. All my family and friends are either dead or long gone from CT, so I'd be a stranger there, except for that special hometown feeling.

There isn't a week that goes by that I kick myself for moving. Southern New England may not be perfect, but it will always be my true home.

CT may be hard up, but it's doing fine compared to the rest of the world.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
When people retire to the South, I don't think they're thinking of what happens 15-20 years or so down the road when they become the frail elderly. They're thinking they've worked all their lives and want 15-20 years to enjoy themselves. For many retirees, they just don't want to deal with the cold , snow, ice etc. anymore.

To say someone shouldn't move, should age in place, because they're going to make life difficult for relatives in 20 years may not be a reasonable choice. Who is to say that if the retiree stays in CT that their relatives will also ? Job transfers, divorce, etc. can send the adult kids / other relatives all over the country unwillingly. Then the retiree is stuck in CT alone or has to make a choice to follow family around the country to places they may not want to live. And moving multiple times is very hard on elderly people.
Who is to say that the younger relatives will actually outlive the older ones or be in a position to help them as they age ?

This is all a very personal decision with lots of factors to consider. No one size fits all here.
And who says you are going to live to retirement??? And who says your kids are even going outlive you??? Who knows if there will be any jobs anywhere.

Come on now, we are talking generalities here. Of course this is a personal decision and each must take their own personal situation into account but a lot people head south to retire without thinking it through completely and then are surprised when stuff like wanting to visit family for a special occasion pops up. And you do need to think about who is going to help you when you need assistance, no matter what your age is. Jay

Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea, good luck with that. It's not what it was 20 years ago, and still too much of what it was 20 years ago in some regard.

You got it right pretty much. Charleston is nice, but you better have money or be prepared to live with the poor. Jane gave really good advice about Maryland, I concur. DE is nice, just kind of meh IMO.

If I were you, I would look into Williamsburg VA. You'll be close to the ocean, and a stone's throw from Richmond if you need the larger city.

Hi JViello: never heard that term. Wonder if there is something negative about DE that I should know.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
And who says you are going to live to retirement??? And who says your kids are even going outlive you??? Who knows if there will be any jobs anywhere.

Come on now, we are talking generalities here. Of course this is a personal decision and each must take their own personal situation into account but a lot people head south to retire without thinking it through completely and then are surprised when stuff like wanting to visit family for a special occasion pops up. And you do need to think about who is going to help you when you need assistance, no matter what your age is. Jay
Jay, some of what you say is true. But you really need to stop assuming that everyone who leaves CT didn't think it through. That's a broad generalization and very untrue in my experience. Every last middle aged couple who left CT that I know is very happy with their move.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Jay, some of what you say is true. But you really need to stop assuming that everyone who leaves CT didn't think it through. That's a broad generalization and very untrue in my experience. Every last middle aged couple who left CT that I know is very happy with their move.
I am not assuming anything. I am trying to make sure that people are aware of the consequences of such a move. I know so many people that make this move without thinking about such things. They say "I never thought about having to pay $900 for a flight to visit a couple of times a year.

I know people with family members who are now having medical issue. Now their kids are expected to drop everything and pay for an expensive flight. They are on the phone with them constantly asking for help finding medical care from 1,200 miles away. How is easy is that? It would be a heck of a lot easier if they were local where they knew the quality medical resources. Just saying. Jay

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
I am not assuming anything. I am trying to make sure that people are aware of the consequences of such a move.
You're missing my point. I'm saying that for most people who do move, there aren't any "consequences". You cannot take the experiences of a few and make sweeping generalizations about people who relocate. As I stated, I know many people who did so and are very happy with their move.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 AM

30 posts, read 47,201 times
we are in the process of looking for where to move from NC. that being said, we did 5 years, and it was good for what it was. If you came here with someone, you would probably love it. We are in chapel hill, and that is one of the places I would say to check out. try to come here and really get a look, like a couple of days in chapel hill, a couple in durham, then raleigh. while raleigh is the city of the are, I think it is a little bland. for the charm the area has, it's in chapel hill/durham, and this little secret town called carborro, people here treat the area like a cult town, lol. It is a decent area. I would really try to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut