Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,707 times

Advertisements

Just had a pretty heavy snow squall move through Wallingford. Coated everything including the roads really quick. Looks like its lake effect snow judging by the radar.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Just had a pretty heavy snow squall move through Wallingford. Coated everything including the roads really quick. Looks like its lake effect snow judging by the radar.
Cool!! Lake Effect Snow streamers making it to the coast! Impressive as we rarely get them. Some can produce squalls and drop an inch or 2 at most.

Basically tells us that the winds at the mid levels are strong and pushing the moisture all the way. Hence why we're having wind gusts to 35mph ALL day. High pressure moving in also helping.

Carbon copy tomorrow with scattered snow showers. Then Sunday its possible we get 2-4". We'll see. I'm not saying anything past 3 days until things happen the way they are projected to.

OT - 4-7" of snow fell this morning in southern NJ. Yup.. you read that right. Half foot of snow. LOL! National Weather Service - Eastern Region Hydrometeorological Event Display A storm exited Virginia and was stronger than antipiated.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Upton snow total map for Sunday is out. National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
A nice little squall came through when I was leaving work at 5ish. Went from sunny to nearly whiteout conditions for a few - made traffic stop on the highway. Coated the ground and was done in 10 minutes. This was on the Wallingford/North Haven line.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A nice little squall came through when I was leaving work at 5ish. Went from sunny to nearly whiteout conditions for a few - made traffic stop on the highway. Coated the ground and was done in 10 minutes. This was on the Wallingford/North Haven line.
Very cool! Thanks! That sounds exactly like Lake Effect snow. Now imaging living near the lakes and getting that every few hours but dropping 2-6 inches at a time.

In simple terms, it's just a cloud that formed from the warm Lakes and the Cold air mass above them which travels all the way down to CT. So a cloud with some moisture dropping snow on us quickly. Not a storm. Not a system. Just a cloud. Pretty cool.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Very cool! Thanks! That sounds exactly like Lake Effect snow. Now imaging living near the lakes and getting that every few hours but dropping 2-6 inches at a time.

In simple terms, it's just a cloud that formed from the warm Lakes and the Cold air mass above them which travels all the way down to CT. So a cloud with some moisture dropping snow on us quickly. Not a storm. Not a system. Just a cloud. Pretty cool.
Is that what happened?It happened twice this afternoon/evening here in NJ.Left a dusting on the ground.But before it came,I could see dark clouds on the horizon,very much like an approaching thunderstorm. It was weird to see that kind of sky this time of year!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
Is that what happened?It happened twice this afternoon/evening here in NJ.Left a dusting on the ground.But before it came,I could see dark clouds on the horizon,very much like an approaching thunderstorm. It was weird to see that kind of sky this time of year!

Yup, classic cloud color description holding the moisture. If one survives it can cause havoc on the roads with a heavy squall but very rare down this way especially by you. I'm surprised the appalacians didn't break them up. The northwest winds helped.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Yes, it is very cool...when I lived in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, many times we would have a surprise 4" snowfall in my neighborhood, whereas my workplace 6 miles west would have zero.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 AM

It will actually be dry today as High pressure slides off the coast. But Cold.. Check out these morning temps and wind chills.It feels like single digits again in some spots.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Tonight/tomorrow's snow per the Weather Channel:

Accuweather seems to think more of a dud, <1" for all. They also think "only flurries" for the Tues night/Wed snow and nothing at all for the Friday one (NWS is seeing 1-2" tonight/tomorrow, similar Tues/Wed and either rain or snow Fri)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut