Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,260,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doit4Bklyn View Post
Overall CT sucks compared to NC. Even though its right next to NYC...its a totally different environment. Good Schools, good hard working people but as a state has hardly any family friendly activities or night life. If I was forced to live back in CT, I would hang myself but if that wasn't an option I definitely prefer the Eastern(near NYC) and Northern parts of CT(near Hartford and Springfield). Stay away from Southeast CT( New London County). By the way...hope that you enjoy Lyme disease!!!
Oh wow!! Not true that there are no family friendly activities here in CT..what a bad thing to tell anyone. What are you looking for as far as family friendly activities and where are you NOT looking? We have parks, walking trails, historical houses to tour, Hamonassett State Park and other State parks, our town is HUGE when it comes to sporting activities..adult softball all thru the summer, little league, girls softball, we have a beautiful park right here in Meriden where there is the Daffodil Festival in the Spring and all kinds of festivals throughout the summer..and concerts. Nightlife?? from here in Meriden to Hartford is only a 20 minute drive and to tell you the truth..I am glad there is no nightlife here in town although we do have a small theater called Castle Craig theatre where they do put on live plays. Oh..by the way..Southington has resurrected the drive in theatre there and is playing all kinds of old movies that are kid friendly..picture on the front page of the paper of a bunch of kids in a pickup bed watching "Friday the 13th"... Lyme disease is not specific to just Connecticut..good grief!! Stay where you are if you are so dead set against living here..wouldn't want you to hang yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 AM

34,793 posts, read 56,662,823 times
Quote:
Overall CT sucks compared to NC. Even though its right next to NYC...its a totally different environment. Good Schools, good hard working people but as a state has hardly any family friendly activities or night life. If I was forced to live back in CT, I would hang myself but if that wasn't an option I definitely prefer the Eastern(near NYC) and Northern parts of CT(near Hartford and Springfield). Stay away from Southeast CT( New London County). By the way...hope that you enjoy Lyme disease!!!
You are so wrong. There is a lot for families to do in Connecticut, in fact I would say there is more to do within a few hours drive than anywhere else in this country. Even your statement on nightlife is off. I don't know what you expect to have here but I would hardly call the state boring. It is all what YOU make of it. Jay

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 995 times
Quote:
It's all a matter of perspective imo. I moved to NC 8 years ago from CT, and we are planning on moving back to CT this year. In CT, everything I needed was within a 10 minute drive. In NC, its a 20 minute drive to the nearest grocery store/gas station, a 27 minute drive to my son's preschool twice a day, 45 minutes to see my friends on the other side of town, and 50 miles to work (not including time spent in traffic since that varies daily).

Even if the area in CT we choose doesn't have that many obvious activities, I'll gladly take a 30-60 minute drive within CT or to NY/MA to get to a family friendly activity or night life in a nearby city on a weekend. That long of a drive to do something fun would have seemed completely alien to me when I had only lived up north, but now I'm used to venturing out and driving distances to do anything.

And I'll take my chances with Lyme disease. Compared to NC's fire ants (thanks for teaching me to never ever walk on grass), needing prednisone to treat mosquito bites, sweltering heat, interesting pollen and allergies, HoAs, my personal experiences with "southern charm", and the constant influx of unemployed people moving to the state because they've heard its cheap to live here, I'd much rather shovel 5 feet of snow and dodge ticks. But its a matter of preference and perspective

Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,962,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasdesi9 View Post

And I'll take my chances with Lyme disease. Compared to NC's fire ants (thanks for teaching me to never ever walk on grass), needing prednisone to treat mosquito bites, sweltering heat, interesting pollen and allergies, HoAs, my personal experiences with "southern charm", and the constant influx of unemployed people moving to the state because they've heard its cheap to live here, I'd much rather shovel 5 feet of snow and dodge ticks. But its a matter of preference and perspective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut