Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 PM

25 posts, read 128,569 times

Advertisements

Where are the nicest, best places to live in Connecticut if going to grad school in Springfield MA? Please list the pros and cons of anything you suggest. West Hartford seems nice, but may be a bit too far of a commute. I would like a town with lots of entertainment, shopping (local and retail chains/malls), and restaurants (local and chains). I do not want to be in the middle of no where and have to drive into town for entertainment. This is important for me since I am in my 20s and used to living in a college town. I would prefer a more modern town as well, if that is even possible to find. I am open to hear anyones suggestions! I will be visiting in a few weeks to find an apartment so I need to have as much of an idea as possible when I arrive. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Is there some reason you're looking to live in CT when you're going to attend school in Springfield ? Have you been to Springfield yet ?

Springfield has 153,000 people. It's not exactly what you'd call a backwater- it's a good sized city for New England. I think its ranked the fourth largest city in New England. This is not some little rural college town. It actually has a bit of a skyline. It's larger than Hartford, CT . You'll find plenty of shopping malls in Springfield itself and in Holyoke & Hadley just to the north and in Enfield, CT just to the south, all the restaurants of any kind in Springfield.

Since there are several colleges located in Springfield and nearby, there are also plenty of young people and college /bars /hangouts in the city too. Northampton, MA, just some 10-12 miles north of Springfield is an area town which college age people would find interesting. You should consider living in Springfield first.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 AM

25 posts, read 128,569 times
I'm trying to do some research on areas in CT due to a possible job in Hartford. Could you tell me anything about Enfield? And what would you recommend the best areas to look at around Springfield? Northampton sounds like the perfect fit for me but I am afraid it will be too far if working in Hartford. Also, is there a specific area near Springfield (other than Northampton) that is pretty populated with college students and would be a nice place to live? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post
I'm trying to do some research on areas in CT due to a possible job in Hartford. Could you tell me anything about Enfield? And what would you recommend the best areas to look at around Springfield? Northampton sounds like the perfect fit for me but I am afraid it will be too far if working in Hartford. Also, is there a specific area near Springfield (other than Northampton) that is pretty populated with college students and would be a nice place to live? Thanks.
Any Chamber of Commerce web page will give you most of the information you want about any city you are interested in. Enfield is a good area. I am from Connecticut, more middle of the state area so I don't get to Enfield that often. My son and his wife go there quite a bit, also to Coventry which is more rural than Enfield. Try the Chamber of Commerce sites. Good luck and should you move here..welcome!!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
From your original description of what you're looking for, I think you'd be bored to tears in Enfield. Enfield is pretty much typical suburbia, geared toward families. Does have good shopping due to the mall.

All the CT towns between Hartford and Springfield are hardly lively places for night life. They're all suburban with not much action for young people. Perhaps you could consider the western section of the city of Hartford. That's different than the town of West Hartford. If you do a search on this forum you should be able to find numerous posts on the west side of Hartford.

For more specific info on the Springfield area, you'd do better to post in the Massachusetts forum.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
All the CT towns between Hartford and Springfield are hardly lively places for night life.
It's a trade-off of safety versus night-life. Would a woman living alone feel safe in the western edge of Hartford? Or is it better to drive to entertainment from a boring suburb like Enfield? It's a judgement call the OP should make on her own.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post
This is important for me since I am in my 20s and used to living in a college town. I would prefer a more modern town as well, if that is even possible to find.
If you are coming from a place like Austin, TX, there is nothing comparable. Western New England has a long history of settlement, so there are very few "modern" areas. While there are many, many college students, the only place I think of as a "college town" is Amherst. Please be open to appreciating the area for what it is, and don't expect it to look like home.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Amherst/Northampton would be a good idea.

The closest thing to Austin in Connecticut is New Haven, and that's too far for a Springfield commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut