Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM

14 posts, read 25,433 times

Advertisements

Hi Again!!

We are the ones relocating from MO, and I am back with a couple questions! Growing up, if anyone asked me where I wanted to live someday...I would always say, "In an old farmhouse in Connecticut that I renovate"...it remains my dream to this day, without the renovating myself!! =)

However, as a mother of 5...I realize this is not necessarily a practical dream!

What we would love to find would be a renovated pre-1920 house, something with character and history, but has been updated with a few modern conveniences while maintaining the integrity of the home! I am not necessarily looking for a farmhouse, though! Colonial might be more in keeping with my current tastes!

I realize old homes are wrought with headaches, but what can I say?? It is my dream!! I just don't want to do the renovating!

I am still looking for good schools (top priority) with the "classic New England" town center and charming downtown area. (If it is outside of CT, I am open to that possiblity as well)

We currently live in an area with new "cookie-cutter" homes, where everything is very spread out, and nothing unique...all box stores! I am looking for the complete opposite of this!!

Does this exist? And if so, where might I find it?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times
You can find a house like that almost anywhere in CT. They are abundant. Remember, this is a much older part of the country than where you are coming from, so older homes are abundant and many have been renovated. You'll find more older homes in the earlier settled parts of the state where there was a higher population before the 20th century. For instance, where I live in Milford, we have a very old housing stock - there many homes from the 18th/early 19th century, and an abundance of late 19th/early 20th century homes. That is partly because it's one of the oldest towns in the state and had a bigger population earlier on due to the sea trade. There are other similar situations (many on the coast, and around early urban areas like Hartford) and you'll have no problem finding a home like you describe.

As nice as Canton is, other than the Collinsville section, it seems like what you are avoiding. The main commercial area is nondescript strip areas. The housing stock is mixed though, everything from old farm houses to 70's raised ranches to larger new colonials. Although Collinsville is very charming, it's also pretty small and doesn't really feel like a proper town center with a green and whatnot.

As mentioned in other threads, to get the hour commute to Bradley Airport, towns that have the charm and the classic New England town center with good schools include Bethel, Kent, Litchfield, Glastonbury, Guilford, Madison, Branford, Essex, Chester, Milford. Out of those, Glastonbury, Guilford, and Madison probably have the highest ranked schools. I know a education veteran who works at Madison's high school and absolutely raves about it, and the town itself is just about as charming and picturesque as it gets. Plus, you have great beaches at your doorstep and are minutes from the culture and amenities of CT's most vibrant city - New Haven.

Keep in mind our schools are generally pretty good in CT, and ranking often has socioeconomic factors baked in, instead of quality education. Your child will receive a good education at any of those schools. Pretty much the only places you need to worry about schools are in urban areas in CT.

Also worth considering, West Hartford has an excellent downtown, but I'm not sure if it's quite the quaint feel you're looking for - it starts to feel on the edge of urban, although it is beautiful. There are also towns with the feel of a historic Main Street, but without much commercial - so it's kind of a quasi-town center. For instance, Wethersfield, Woodbury, Newtown.

Go to Realtor.com to see what kind of house you can afford in the aforementioned towns.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM

21,518 posts, read 30,927,868 times
You can really find this in any Connecticut town - some more than others.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 25,433 times
Thanks!!

Right now, our tentative budget is around 650,000...which is a little crazy, considering we could have a custom built 10,000 sq ft home on 10 acres where we live for that money!! But, like I said, dreams are expensive and I am just thrilled to have this opportunity after dreaming about this my whole life!!

I will check the areas you suggested!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

That budget could put you anywhere in the towns I mentioned. Take a hard look at Madison. It's quite idyllic with tons of New England charm and the schools live up to the hype.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Yeah, agreed. With that budget, look at Madison, Guilford, Essex, Chester, Old Saybrook, Deep River.

All are beautiful towns (I'm a well-traveled guy and still feel that these towns are among the most beautiful in the country) and have good schools, Madison's being about the best. I live in Branford and you can get a little more for your money than you can Madison, and there are a ton of old homes. It's not as rural as parts of Madison, however.

If you don't mind being isolated in the woods, Litchfield is another stunningly beautiful town.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Agreed on Litchfield. Beautiful town center, just a little isolated in location.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,696,328 times
First choice is Guilford. This is the town green you're looking for. Many acres of landscaped beauty. Surrounded by historic church, town hall, loads of shops, galleries, boutiques, a wine bar, bookstore, cafes, restaurants. Plenty of parking. Very laid back. Great place to park and then wander from one portion of the green to another.

Madison- also a big, gorgeous town green. However, there are no shops surrounding the green. They are nearby and very walkable but not around the green itself.

Branford has small green surrounded by a variety of shops and restaurants. Very walkable, but not terribly pretty. Personally I find the area congested. It loses a lot in the charm department IMO.

Essex- the walkable center of town is also a historic district. Has a small green, but lacks the great big quadrangle type green but is outstandingly beautiful. Shops are off the green. Everything in Essex center is basically pre 1850, mostly 1700's to early 1800's and expensively restored. Right by two coves on the CT River, so you can wander through the boatyards and docks as well. Lots of very upscale shops. Essex center is picture postcard Connecticut.

Chester, too has a small, walkable town center but again lacks the big green space with the ring of shops. Very cute and charming through, small as it is.

Really, you've got to get here and look around for yourself. Right now you're sort of throwing darts at a dart board, blindfolded. You're all over the place. Visiting will help you prioritize. And as Stylo said, it is not hard to find a pre 1920 home, restored and renovated. Lots of those around.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Branford has small green surrounded by a variety of shops and restaurants. Very walkable, but not terribly pretty. Personally I find the area congested. It loses a lot in the charm department IMO.
I agree with your entire post except for this. There's NEVER a lot of traffic downtown and you can always find a spot to park. IMO, I think downtown Branford is incredibly beautiful, almost perfect.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Really? I think Branford has a really beautiful downtown, despite being marginally more commercial than Guilford/Madison (Milford downtown has a similar quality). It might not be as quaint as Guilford/Madison, but I think it's very attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut