Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inctomi View Post
Stylo,

I agree Fairfield is probably a better option commuting-wise. However, my dad will be staying with us too and he works in Ossining. It will be a hellish daily commute from lower Fairfield on 95 to 287 then on to Sprain. Danbury is also far but doable at around 40 min.
Darn, that's a tough situation. Personally I would sacrifice some home and live in Norwalk, your commute will be pretty hellish from Danbury. From Norwalk, you could take backroads to Ossining - it's only 30 miles. Check out what you can get for 450k there, it's much better now than in the past - and don't be afraid to lowball some $500k places. I'm also not sure why you think Danbury has more New England charm than Norwalk. Neither are particularly high ranking in that sense IMO, but look at areas like Cranbury and Rowayton in Norwalk and tell me they don't have as much charm as any part of Danbury. Maybe you saw the wrong part of Norwalk. There are plenty of dumpy areas in both cities.

As a last ditch resort, maybe try western New Fairfield near Route 22. You can hop right onto 684 from there directly, and take one of the more Southern trains (Katonah, perhaps) - which would make for a much quicker commute. That 84/684 interchange is really unpredictable coming from Danbury. I missed a flight once because of it. NF is affordable and a nice community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Darn, that's a tough situation. Personally I would sacrifice some home and live in Norwalk, your commute will be pretty hellish from Danbury. From Norwalk, you could take backroads to Ossining - it's only 30 miles. Check out what you can get for 450k there, it's much better now than in the past - and don't be afraid to lowball some $500k places. I'm also not sure why you think Danbury has more New England charm than Norwalk. Neither are particularly high ranking in that sense IMO, but look at areas like Cranbury and Rowayton in Norwalk and tell me they don't have as much charm as any part of Danbury. Maybe you saw the wrong part of Norwalk. There are plenty of dumpy areas in both cities.

As a last ditch resort, maybe try western New Fairfield near Route 22. You can hop right onto 684 from there directly, and take one of the more Southern trains (Katonah, perhaps) - which would make for a much quicker commute. That 84/684 interchange is really unpredictable coming from Danbury. I missed a flight once because of it. NF is affordable and a nice community.

If you drive down 684 during rush hour from Brewster to Katonah expect a ton of rush our traffic. Again Stylo...any decent area of norwalk is going to be way more expensive than Danbury.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Again Stylo...any decent area of norwalk is going to be way more expensive than Danbury.
There's no doubt. But it's almost half the commute and $450k can get a decent house in Norwalk.

Example: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...250?source=web
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...986?source=web

Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM

92 posts, read 203,131 times
There's no need to drive to the southeast train station from danbury. If you find something in the Aunt Hack area, you will be a 5 minute drive to the Exit 2 park & ride. Shuttle bus from the park & ride to the BREWSTER station is 10 minutes, and the buses run CONSTANTLY. Train during peak hours range from 72 minutes to 87, with the average being just under 80 minutes. Factor in wait times @ bus and @ station and you're at a 1 hr. 40 minute commute to GCS. Not fun, but a lot of people do it.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 13,933 times
Quote:
There's no doubt. But it's almost half the commute and $450k can get a decent house in Norwalk.

Stylo, you have a pretty good point on sacrificing some house but I kinda wanna have a big yard and a pool which you can't get for the $$$ in Norwalk.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM

How big though? I mean, lots in Norwalk aren't that much smaller than Danbury.

Definitely consider the west end of New Fairfield. It'll make your life easier and it's a nicer place to live than Danbury.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM

9 posts, read 13,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle423 View Post
There's no need to drive to the southeast train station from danbury. If you find something in the Aunt Hack area, you will be a 5 minute drive to the Exit 2 park & ride. Shuttle bus from the park & ride to the BREWSTER station is 10 minutes, and the buses run CONSTANTLY. Train during peak hours range from 72 minutes to 87, with the average being just under 80 minutes. Factor in wait times @ bus and @ station and you're at a 1 hr. 40 minute commute to GCS. Not fun, but a lot of people do it.
This is a great suggestion.. I guess I can't have it all with the commute vs. a nice pad with pool etc etc. So does anyone takes the Danbury extension trains on the New Haven line? I looked at the schedules and the ride is apparently a solid 2 hrs and there are only 2 or 3 direct trains during rush hour. Would they ever expand that single line track?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inctomi View Post
Would they ever expand that single line track?
Likely never.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:

Ok..I see your point..Norwalk is certainly a good commute.

I'd prefer danbury to Norwalk though.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
In that part Of Danbury homes are on about 1 acre lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut