Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Caraluzzi's Market is really solid-- in all locations. High quality butcher, impeccable prepared foods and grocery baggers in every aisle. Probably one of CT's best kept secrets. Let's keep the Jones' fascination with "Whole Paycheck" going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Caraluzzi's Market is really solid-- in all locations. High quality butcher, impeccable prepared foods and grocery baggers in every aisle. Probably one of CT's best kept secrets. Let's keep the Jones' fascination with "Whole Paycheck" going.
I'll second this. I really miss Caraluzzi's.

I wish they would expand to the Branford/Guilford area. It would be a gold mine for them.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
"what would the commute be like to White Plains and closest big airport?"

i'd forget about driving to WP. if you would rather have a nice relaxing commute instead of driving, take the Metro North train out of Brewster NY. you can park there at the station ($5/day when i did it in 05-06) or take the HART bus. the train ride is very relaxing and hardly too long at only about 45-50 mins - still plenty of time to read or listen to iPod.

HART
MTA

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
684 south to White Plains isn't that bad at all. I know a few people that do it. Driving all the way over to Southeast doesn't really make sense. Don't think you'd be saving any time at all, especially if the office isn't near the train station. Maybe Katonah > White Plains. But still. 684 isn't that bad.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
684 south to White Plains isn't that bad at all. I know a few people that do it. Driving all the way over to Southeast doesn't really make sense. Don't think you'd be saving any time at all, especially if the office isn't near the train station. Maybe Katonah > White Plains. But still. 684 isn't that bad.
i agree about Southeast but i was talking about Brewster station..

Brewster

unless it closed down in the last 6 years it's still a better option imo. only about 12 minutes from exit 2 off 84 (HART pickup). i took 684 enough times to know i didn't want to do it that often and ended up taking the train about 95% of the time as a result. and the few times i did drive, i took the backroads from Danbury to Golden's Bridge and got on 684 there missing the worst traffic. i forget the exact route.
the only negative about the train would be it made for a long day.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
i agree about Southeast but i was talking about Brewster station..

Brewster

unless it closed down in the last 6 years it's still a better option imo. only about 12 minutes from exit 2 off 84 (HART pickup). i took 684 enough times to know i didn't want to do it that often and ended up taking the train about 95% of the time as a result. and the few times i did drive, i took the backroads from Danbury to Golden's Bridge and got on 684 there missing the worst traffic. i forget the exact route.
the only negative about the train would be it made for a long day.
I believe that from what others have posted here that there is less parking available at Brewster station so most people are directed to Southeast. Jay

Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I believe that from what others have posted here that there is less parking available at Brewster station so most people are directed to Southeast. Jay
could be but there's always HART..

Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I can totally see where you're coming from, but I personally wouldn't drive, jump on a shuttle, then a train, then find a way to work unless it was NYC. The drive to White Plains isn't that bad. But if you prefer public transportation, I guess it makes sense. Just seems like a lot of effort to avoid some moderate traffic. Different strokes.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I can totally see where you're coming from, but I personally wouldn't drive, jump on a shuttle, then a train, then find a way to work unless it was NYC. The drive to White Plains isn't that bad. But if you prefer public transportation, I guess it makes sense. Just seems like a lot of effort to avoid some moderate traffic. Different strokes.
no problem.. all that transportation time did make for a long day but it didn't bother me that much.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've always been happy with Caraluzzi's(Newtown store) beef.

I wish they would move closer this way. They can take over Porricelli's space in Trumbull center. Boy did that store go downhill. Dumpy looking and their beef is crap now. Just close already........
Quote:
At least you have Big Y up that way! I miss having one nearby. Our best options in town are Whole Foods (way too expensive for meats/fishes/cheeses) and Shop Rite. I often go to Villa Gourmet in downtown for cheeses, grass fed beef, seafood, baked goods, pastas, etc. They're actually a lot cheaper than Whole Foods for similar items. But we definitely don't have a really good all-around supermarket.
Well, well, well.....Caraluzzi's Market » Real Estate Inquiries.

Dumpicelli's space in Trumbull is 15 miles from Newtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut