U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 109,034 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking into moving to the Hartford area. We are interested in the downtown area and some of the apartments we are considering are 55 On The Park, 915 Main Street, 210 Farmington Avenue, and The Metropolitan. We are also considering Capital View, Loomis Dr. Apartments, Park Place Towers, Trumbull on the Park, Union Place, 711 Farmington Ave, and 26 Russ St. We are limited to these places because we have 2 small dogs and these apartments are pet friendly.

Since we are not from there or familiar with the area at all, I would like advice from people that are. Are these areas considered safe and a good place to live, or are any of these apartments in areas that we should avoid? We are a young couple in our 20s, and would love to be located near lots of entertainment, shopping, bars, and restaurants.

We are also interested in West Hartford and the West End of Hartford as well, but before we continue apartment hunting online, I would like to have a general idea of the areas to avoid so I can take any undesirable apartments off of my list during my search. We will be there in a week to see the area and check out these places, but would prefer to have an idea of it first so we can schedule viewings that are not a waste of time. Thanks and I look forward to hearing everyone's input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM

352 posts, read 631,860 times
I lived in Park Place Towers in the early 90's and I really liked them at the time, had an easy commute to my job in Farmington. They were well kept and there used to be a Stop & Shop in that little plaza across the street - not sure what's there now. I don't know if they're a good option for you because they're not close to downtown and not in the best of areas.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,619,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking into moving to the Hartford area. We are interested in the downtown area and some of the apartments we are considering are 55 On The Park, 915 Main Street, 210 Farmington Avenue, and The Metropolitan. We are also considering Capital View, Loomis Dr. Apartments, Park Place Towers, Trumbull on the Park, Union Place, 711 Farmington Ave, and 26 Russ St. We are limited to these places because we have 2 small dogs and these apartments are pet friendly.

Since we are not from there or familiar with the area at all, I would like advice from people that are. Are these areas considered safe and a good place to live, or are any of these apartments in areas that we should avoid? We are a young couple in our 20s, and would love to be located near lots of entertainment, shopping, bars, and restaurants.

We are also interested in West Hartford and the West End of Hartford as well, but before we continue apartment hunting online, I would like to have a general idea of the areas to avoid so I can take any undesirable apartments off of my list during my search. We will be there in a week to see the area and check out these places, but would prefer to have an idea of it first so we can schedule viewings that are not a waste of time. Thanks and I look forward to hearing everyone's input!
I can comment on 55, 915, trumbull on the park. All are "new", all in a great location. Right in the heart of downtown, a walk to just about everything and across from the park.

Park Place Towers are older, and in a not so great neighborhood. The Plaza mentioned above is empty with graffiti etc.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,378,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Park Place Towers are older, and in a not so great neighborhood. The Plaza mentioned above is empty with graffiti etc.
The plaza is newly renovated and fully occupied with tenants like a grocery store, dollar store, wine store, furniture store, and laundromat.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM

281 posts, read 845,567 times
Can anyone comment on PMC Property Group? Their online reviews are awful.

https://plus.google.com/109935543925...69/about?hl=en

I'll add that I lived with Intertown Realty, the managers of 711 Farmington Ave, up until last month. I haven't gotten my security deposit back yet so I will update with that experience. During my stay with them I felt that they were fair and responsive to maintenance issues, but the apartment was run down and there were definitely some miscreants in my building including a prostitute who propositioned me. I rarely saw bugs, but I was on the top floor; some of my lower floor neighbors complained of roaches. This was in a building in the West End, not 711 Farmington Ave. It wasn't a horrible experience, but I wouldn't live with them again.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,252,224 times
Always ignore online reviews for apartment complexes. They're a haven for disgruntled unreasonable ex-residents with scores to settle, as well as sockpuppeting management. Basically useless. Best thing to do is get the opinion of someone you trust and visit yourself. Usually a visit will dispel or reinforce any preconceived notions.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The plaza is newly renovated and fully occupied with tenants like a grocery store, dollar store, wine store, furniture store, and laundromat.
Okay so there are a few low rent places in there.

It's dirty, half empty, graffiti on the building...not so nice.

dlynn have a look at this street view. I think you can get the idea just from it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=park+...2,3.23,,0,2.71

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM

26,285 posts, read 42,264,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Okay so there are a few low rent places in there.

It's dirty, half empty, graffiti on the building...not so nice.

dlynn have a look at this street view. I think you can get the idea just from it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=park+...2,3.23,,0,2.71
JViello - Those are old photos. I am pretty sure RogerAnthony is correct. The plaza has been renovated and is fairly full. Looks pretty nice now. Jay

Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
JViello - Those are old photos. I am pretty sure RogerAnthony is correct. The plaza has been renovated and is fairly full. Looks pretty nice now. Jay
I don't know, last time I went by it still looked pretty sketchy, but I'll have a second look.

Either way, it doesn't change the location isn't great.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM

1,070 posts, read 1,378,182 times
It does not resemble that Google street view at all. Here is what it looks like now. Pope Commons- Bring your Business to Newly Revitalized Parkville!! (1200 Park St, Hartford) for Sale in Hartford, Connecticut Classified | AmericanListed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut