U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM

53 posts, read 85,676 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Glastonbury from FL and just called to schedule start service with Connecticut P&L. The rep rattled off some 'survey questionnaire' to which I had to answer yes or no, and somewhere in there I thought I heard something about freedom to choose a provider. Not thinking much about it, I was surprised that I wasn't asked to make a deposit (my deposit here in FL is almost $500), and wondering if I've really improved my credit that much, I searched online to see what the typical deposit was. One of the sites I found was lowerelectriccost.com. Supposedly an optional power company serving CT?

WHAT!!!!!?

I've never heard of such a thing. P&L competition? Anybody use them? Are they cheaper? As reliable? For real, even? The site says CT recently deregulated electricity service. Woah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,310,121 times
I've never heard of an electricity deposit here in CT. But yes, in Ct. we now have a choice for providers. With another electric supplier CL&P will still service your electricity if you have a problem, and you receive bills from CL&P no matter which provider you go with. If you search around you can usually find a cheaper alternative to CL&P. However, some companies will charge a fee if you later drop them, so choose carefully. And every six months to a year an alternative supplier's rates will rise. Frankly it's a PITA to keep up with the changes, and although we save a little each month since dropping CL&P I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the trouble.

CT Energy Info

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,801,257 times
Yes, CT has an interesting electric service system. Your main provider is Connecticut Light & Power
( Cl & P). You have to use their distribution lines. However, there may be other electric providers in your area.

If chose a different provider, then you pay them for electricity and pay another smaller fee to CL & P for their portion of distribution. Do good research to see what service gives you the best deal.

Perhaps some of our members who live in the Glastonbury area will come along and have more info on just what providers there are and how their rates compare to straight CL & P service. There can be a decent savings.

Welcome to Connecticut

Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

4,767 posts, read 7,560,141 times
this website may help you understand the system here in CT

CT Energy Info

Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM

627 posts, read 827,335 times
Yes, you can save money by changing to an alternative provider. But you need to do the research yourself. Anyone who is offering incentives or going door-to-door is probably planning to scam you by having adjustable pricing that "adjusts" much higher after you sign up. A big red flag is not publishing historical prices.

Also, CL&Ps rate looks like it went way down in 2012, from 9.482 cents to 8.279. So my carefully researched alternate provider Discount Energy is actually charging me more now (8.9 cents). So that's a downside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut