Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times

Advertisements

anybody by any chance know about any possible plans to bring a Whole Foods to the shoreline (specifically New London or Middlesex counties)? My Dad is 86 and has to watch what he eats and i think Whole Foods would be a great place for him to shop but of course - last i checked - there are none down there.
or maybe there's a similar type of place i don't know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
What town are you in? There are no plans known. They're pretty tight lipped until something definite is in the works, and from that point it's not long until one is open. The only one I'm aware of that's coming to CT is in Danbury by the mall.

They do tend to have very strict demographic requirements: usually within reach of more affluent areas, a population center, more educated, etc. You can see that reflected in all of their choices in CT. Look at Danbury: a relatively isolated population center with some affluent towns nearby (Ridgefield, Redding, North Salem, Newtown, New Fairfield, Roxbury, etc).

I could see one maybe popping up in the Guilford/Madison area, though New London/Middlesex seems unlikely. It's possible, but doesn't seem to fit their trend and they're not really a company that's interested in overly quick expansion.

That said, in most areas you can get all the same stuff, you might just have to look harder. Most grocery stores have an organic section, but really at his age it's not going to make much of a difference if it's organic or not. The sort of fresh produce and local food you can get at farmer's markets, for instance, is sometime's better and cheaper than the stuff you get at Whole Foods. And I'd be surprised if there wasn't a health food store/grocery store near you.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
These are organic/ natural food stores in the area you specified. None are anywhere near the size or do the volume of Whole Foods but they do offer good products.

The Country Grocer- Guilford

Foodworks- Guilford

Foodworks 11 Old Saybrook

Fiddleheads Co-op New London

Willimantic Food Co-op Willimantic

Also most supermarkets of the larger chains, like Stop & Shop, have a limited choice of natural, locally grown, certified organic foods.

I haven't heard anything about Whole Foods opening any other stores on the shoreline. The population density might not be there to make it worthwhile.

Click on the link below- it's map showing local organic farms ( veggies & meats) that are open to the public

CT NOFA Farm Map

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Most grocery stores have an organic section, but really at his age it's not going to make much of a difference if it's organic or not.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Seriously, it's just a waste of money. It's way more important for people in that age group to be eating lots of raw foods full of nutrients than avoiding trace amounts of pesticide.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
anybody by any chance know about any possible plans to bring a Whole Foods to the shoreline (specifically New London or Middlesex counties)? My Dad is 86 and has to watch what he eats and i think Whole Foods would be a great place for him to shop but of course - last i checked - there are none down there.
or maybe there's a similar type of place i don't know about?
Some members of my family including myself have food allergies etc., and the available foods in the health food section we can eat are slim to none. Does he have any particular dietary restrictions? If not, the links that Willow wind gave you should be a good start, you don't really need a Whole Foods. I'd also suggest Trader Joe's, but the nearest in that area is Orange which is pretty far.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Most grocery stores have an organic section, but really at his age it's not going to make much of a difference if it's organic or
not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Seriously, it's just a waste of money. It's way more important for people in that age group to be eating lots of raw foods full of nutrients than avoiding trace amounts of pesticide.
Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. That was an incredibly rude statement, and you can't be more wrong.

Once people hit about 65-70, their physiological and metabolic rate changes drastically. Non-organic food has many chemicals that can be bad for their digestive tract and cardiovascular health in seniors. Just ONE bad meal loaded with preservatives can raise an elderly person's blood pressure, heart rate and can send them downhill fast. They are advised to stay away from harmful preservatives and synthetic food dye. This can also be said for young children.

I applaud Slipper and father for recognizing this and creating a goal to eat right. Too many Americans have Stylo's mindset that it's too late, and eat what you want, when in reality, switching at a late age from non-organic to organic can add years onto someone's life.

Disclaimer: I grew up in a household with a Nutritionist, and currently live with one.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:22 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
There's a Whole Foods on Boston Post Road in Milford. I think that would be the closest to the Guilford area.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about. That was an incredibly rude statement, and you can't be more wrong.

Once people hit about 65-70, their physiological and metabolic rate changes drastically. Non-organic food has many chemicals that can be bad for their digestive tract and cardiovascular health in seniors. Just ONE bad meal loaded with preservatives can raise an elderly person's blood pressure, heart rate and can send them downhill fast. They are advised to stay away from harmful preservatives and synthetic food dye. This can also be said for young children.

I applaud Slipper and father for recognizing this and creating a goal to eat right. Too many Americans have Stylo's mindset that it's too late, and eat what you want, when in reality, switching at a late age from non-organic to organic can add years onto someone's life.

Disclaimer: I grew up in a household with a Nutritionist, and currently live with one.
I would have to agree with "the Kid"....
Respect must be shown towards a person's belief system in regard to diet, also. (Such as the Jewish faith eats Kosher, etc.). According to Ayurvedic diet (which many eastern Indians practice, and which I myself practice to a degree..), eating a lot of raw food is bad for you/harder to digest than gently cooked foods. Disagree if you want, but I do know that I feel better doing this than in the past, and it's not just all in my head because I feel "trendy" shopping for organic food, either). Also, you may or may not agree with it (Please spare any rude comments on beliefs), but individuals with an indigo or crystal aura especially should eat as purely as possible, because they are more sensitive to impurities in general.

There is more evidence every day about how harmful ingesting "crap" is. (No matter what your age is).

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Too many Americans have Stylo's mindset that it's too late, and eat what you want, when in reality, switching at a late age from non-organic to organic can add years onto someone's life.
Complete and utter BS. Sorry. And I do buy a good amount of organic products.

It's far more important the quality of the actual food vs. whether it's organic or not for the elderly. I'm talking grass fed meat and dairy, not because it's organic, but because it has far more nutrients. A diet full of raw vegetables and fruits. Nuts. Little processed food, sugar or white flour. Avoid hormones in dairy in milk (which, by the way is quite easy these days if you just read labels - and has nothing to do with an "organic" stamp). Whether or not something is "organic" is beyond the point. We're talking very little practical difference for even younger people compared to just eating right. By the way, most produce at Whole Foods is not organic. And a lot of the packaged foods might be labeled organic, but is still incredibly unhealthy. So many people eat "organic" and think it's making them healthy, when in fact their diets still suck. What classifies as organic in this country is only marginally better. A lot of it just marketing. You can eat incredibly healthy just going to Stop N Stop. Whether or not some products are non-organic has very little impact.

I've extensively studied nutrition independently, despite not being a certified nutritionist, and I'd like to think I have a right to an opinion on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut