Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,791 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home in Manchester CT and would like to know what the town is like. I'm retired and will purchase in a 55+ community. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Its a fine community but gets a bad rap from the clueless folks out there. There are some pockets of manchester that are not desirable, but the town overall is very nice. Most people wouldn't look there to live because the schools do not perform that well, but if schools aren't a concern of yours, I wouldn't hesitate to buy there. From an amenities, etc perspective, Manchester has everything you could want. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Jviello who also posts on here lives in manchester and can also give you his perspective on living there.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Manchester is a nice middle class community. It has a lot of shopping serving as the regions major shopping districts. Most neighborhoods are good but there are a couple that are less desirable. Jay

Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
That particular area is South of I384 but not totally removed from the lower income part of town. Having said that, "low income" in Manchester doesn't automatically mean crime, drugs, gangs etc...in fact very opposite.

What you'll see at worse are small capes and ranches from the 50's and 60's with working class families. IOW, there really isn't much to fear, but if you are looking for manicured etc with beautiful ish, Wetheral street might disappoint. However, the surrounding area is very nice.

Downtown is a short distance away, so is the greenway, and Hartford is 15 minutes away as are dairy farms etc the other direction.

There are several 55+ places on Hackmattack street just a stones throw to the East which are very nice as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Depending on where you live, plan on LOTS of traffic during the holidays, xmas especially.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Depending on where you live, plan on LOTS of traffic during the holidays, xmas especially.
This is only true in the Buckland Hills area. Other neighborhoods do not have bad traffic. Jay

Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 AM

98 posts, read 111,651 times
Hi all! I'm looking to move to Manchester in the next couple mths. Could you please be specific on the "bad" areas as I am a single female moving alone? I chose Manchester since I am coming from NYC and amenities are key since it will be a huge adjustment. I'm in my early 30s and need an area that has everything I need (since I'm used to everything I can imagine on one block). Also, I reviewed the apt complexes listed in other forums and they all have terrible ratings. Any suggestions where to rent besides the aspen, mills, pavillion? Would you suggest renting in a house would be better? Lastly, if you know of other areas similar to manchester in terms of proximity to amenities that would be really appreciated. I'm looking to be no more then 30 mins from Storrs but more on the western side closer to NYC. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
I forget the neighborhood name, was south of 84 and the streets all seemed to have university names like Cambridge, colgate, et. Etc...we looked for a house there before we decided to move south.....looked very nice and well kept....certain parts of Manchester are not so great but overall not a bad town to live in,,,

Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
Manchester is a cute town. There of course are some shady areas, but that is true now a days w/ almost any town/city. My husband and I are moving back to CT and we found a cute duplex for rent. I contacted them to ensure it was still available and hope to have a showing when we get back up there.

When i lived in CT a few years ago, we lived in Manchester and Vernon. We rented a house in Manchester not too far from the mall actually, and the area was just fine. It was a cute, older house.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepa513 View Post
Hi all! I'm looking to move to Manchester in the next couple mths. Could you please be specific on the "bad" areas as I am a single female moving alone? I chose Manchester since I am coming from NYC and amenities are key since it will be a huge adjustment. I'm in my early 30s and need an area that has everything I need (since I'm used to everything I can imagine on one block). Also, I reviewed the apt complexes listed in other forums and they all have terrible ratings. Any suggestions where to rent besides the aspen, mills, pavillion? Would you suggest renting in a house would be better? Lastly, if you know of other areas similar to manchester in terms of proximity to amenities that would be really appreciated. I'm looking to be no more then 30 mins from Storrs but more on the western side closer to NYC. Thank you in advance.
If you are coming from NEw York City, you are going to be in for a little bit of a culture shock. What is your budget and what do you want for that budget.

You should realize that all apartment complexes get bad reviews because the only people that bother to post on those ratings websites are those with a gripe. Aspen, the Mills and the Pavillions are all nice complexes. A couple of coworkers live at the Mills and like it. There can be a noise problem though. Look for a unit on the top floor to avoid having someone over you.

You might also want to look in Vernon. The Mansions there seem to always get good reviews from people posting on this board.

As for Manchester, the older areas near the hospital seem to be where there could be an issur. But even then, it is not bad for someone use to living in a more urban area. You will likely laugh when you see it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut