Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 PM

519 posts, read 743,825 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is it happening more often? It seems to be more around in lower FFC but I'm not talking about them running a yellow then red, but like the light is already red before they get to the light and they just keep going..

I've seen this happen for the 3rd time in a week

The one yesterday was just crazy.. West Main in Stamford at the intersection of West Main and West Ave.. light changed to red to the SUV in front of me and this way well 25 Ft before he comes to the stop line.. he just keeps going like it's Green.. so does the car in front of him.

Today I got off Exit 5 SB For anyone that knows I wanted to get back on to go SB so if you are say coming from Staples you get in that far left lane.. OK So we all get the arrow and I had a pick up truck in front of me.. and all of a sudden he slams on the brakes then he moves.. so I was thinking?? then when he moved I saw why.. this friken car from the OTHER SIDE of the intersection just came out of god knows where and I almost got hit myself.

I'm really wondering what is going on with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
When approaching intersections with traffic signals, I would reduce my speed and when a stop light turns green, wait one second to look at both corners again and then slowly move into the intersection. Either people are not paying attention or in a rush that they do not care.

Reducing speed allow me to take a look at both corners at a intersection as well as anticipate the yellow light and have ample time to stop in time. Reducing speed also slow down other drivers behind me in advance to avoid possible rear-end collision. The increase of red light runners prompt me to hesitate momentarily before accelerating when a light turns green. Hopefully the short delay is enough for any red light runners.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:26 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times
Seems to me it's been happening forever in FFC.

I was getting off the merritt years ago and had a green light the WHOLE TIME I could see it, 10+ seconds.

Just as I enter the intersection a car blows through the red light and I come within a foot of nailing him.

The dummy didn't even see me OR the light. I caught up to him at the next light, knocked on the window, an 80 year old woman rolled down the window and I asked the old guy if he knew he ran a red light and almost killed himself and me.

He waved his hand and told his wife to roll up the window. As she was rolling up the window I yelled "You need to stop driving if you can't see the color of the lights"

Old douchebag.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I caught up to him at the next light, knocked on the window,
You do realize that is not a good idea? Roll down your window and scream at them, blare your horn, flash your headlights, "salute" them, etc., but NEVER get out of your car and approach theirs unless you're prepared to face the consequences of being arrested or getting assaulted by the other driver.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You do realize that is not a good idea? Roll down your window and scream at them, blare your horn, flash your headlights, "salute" them, etc., but NEVER get out of your car and approach theirs unless you're prepared to face the consequences of being arrested or getting assaulted by the other driver.
The driver who cuts off someone else should be prepared for what the OTHER person might do. And all kidding aside, if I got cut off by someone in lower FFC, chances are it's just some self-absorbed, retarded soccer mom who's late for her pedicure. What are these idiots gonna do - hit me with their iPhone? I would do the same thing Blazah did, especially if it's an old geezer. I believe in being respectful toward elderlies but, sorry, many of them need to get off the road.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 AM

206 posts, read 570,714 times
Quote:
I would do the same thing Blazah did, especially if it's an old geezer. I believe in being respectful toward elderlies but, sorry, many of them need to get off the road.
Wow, so you want to beat up old folks!

So, what are you gonna' do, hit them with your purse, you big meany!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
People just don't care

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 AM

156 posts, read 277,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
People just don't care
Yeah especially in CT. It's the land of entitled drivers. Im flabbergasted at some of the **** people pull on the roads in this state.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
The driver who cuts off someone else should be prepared for what the OTHER person might do. And all kidding aside, if I got cut off by someone in lower FFC, chances are it's just some self-absorbed, retarded soccer mom who's late for her pedicure. What are these idiots gonna do - hit me with their iPhone?
OK, let's try it this way.

The Scene: Friday evening Northbound on the Merritt.

The Problem: Westchester idiot hunkered down in left lane trying to leave a 4 car length distance between themselves and the driver ahead.

My Response: Flash my lights to signal idiot to move to the right lane. Wait 30 seconds and flash them again. Wait another minute and flash them again, at which time at least 2 drivers behind me also started flashing their lights as well.

Outcome: After ~5 minutes, i finally catch an opening in the right lane that will allow for me to get over, get past the idiot, and back to the left lane ahead of them. S.O.B. attempts to cut me off as i shift to the right lane. I get by them and back to the left and the driver starts RIDING my back bumper. Then they swing to the right lane to try to get by me and cut me off or whatever. That's when i realize what occupants are in the car. A female driver with 3 pre-teen passengers. I sure as hell wasn't going to attempt to confront someone who was so out of her mind that she was eager to play chicken on the highway with children in the car. Drunk? Drugged? Who knows? You just can't make assumptions based on appearance.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
did not get out of my car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut