Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,087 times

Advertisements

I have children the same ages, and just looked in the same towns. We ended up in Weston because we found a house we liked there. All of the towns are great, though. Westport is bigger and more convenient. Some people don't care for the big high school in Westport. Some love what the Westport high school (Staples) has to offer. Weston is more rural. It is really friendly, and really well run, with a phenomenal school system. Wilton has a lot of options too. So far, I have seen no signs of out-of-control materialism, sex, and drugs (as intimated by some on this board). The kids in Westport wear the same things that the kids in Westchester, NY wear. Actually, the kids in CT look as if they spend less on clothes than the kids in NY. The kids seem really wholesome and sweet so far. The houses are gorgeous in all of those towns. The towns are gorgeous. The grocery stores are great. Town rec offers a lot of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
With a $2 million budget, you'll have a lot of choices. It will likely get you waterfront or close to it in Madison and Guilford. It's less likely in places like Fairfield, Southport, Westport, Darien and Greenwich, but you will find plenty of housing options in these towns. You seem to want to be by the water, so I wouldn't bother with New Canaan, Wilton, Weston, Easton or Wodbridge.

Personally, I would take Guilford over Madison, and Westport over the FFC towns, but you should check them all out for yourself. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 AM

161 posts, read 305,329 times
Thanks everyone!! The advice is greatly appreciated. We both grew up in Maine and spent lots of time in CT...but have never "lived" there. When we moved out of New England CT was out of our budget...so after many years of hard work here in the South we are anxious to get back up where we belong!

Last edited by Robinlp; 08-24-2012 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,087 times
Guilford is beautiful!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Hope you're not a troll like the last $2MM buyer on this forum.

I'd look at Madison, Westport, Fairfield with that budget. If you want direct waterfront and a bigger house, you could open up to other less expensive towns like Branford, Guilford, Milford. Basically, IMO you should consider any town with decent schools from Westport to Madison with your needs and wants. Westport and Madison have the "best", followed by Fairfield - but I wouldn't scoff at any of them. Keep in mind Westport will be a more competitive/materialistic environment in school. I'm not sure that Darien/Greenwich are worth the added expense/congestion if you're not commuting.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Look into Westport/Guilford/Madison, and see which communities might fit you best. As nonny noted, Westport isn't necessarily as materialist etc. as often portrayed so don't let that scare you away.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 AM

220 posts, read 469,965 times
Also, keep in mind that you can take a train from Guilford or Madison into Grand Central. Metro north runs to New haven, then Shoreline East continues on. If you just drive into New Haven and take the train from there, you have a ton of options as to times. We prefer to avoid that and just take the train right from Guilford. Times are a bit limited, but not bad. We've always had it work out great...they coordinate the trains so at New Haven you just get out, walk ten feet across the platform and hop on the train into Grand Central.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
As nonny noted, Westport isn't necessarily as materialist etc. as often portrayed so don't let that scare you away.
It has been the experience of everyone I know from Westport (roughly 10 people that I keep in contact with) that there is a lot more materialism here than other parts of the state. From what I've heard, it isn't necessary a rudeness among adults - but the kids at school get very competitive about how much their families have. One of my friends is a 6th grade public school teacher in Westport, so she sees it everyday.

Should it be a reason to completely avoid the town? No way, but it should be known that it's a factor to consider.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Since you're only looking at the coastline and want easy access to shopping & good schools, I would recommend Greenwich, Fairfield, and Guilford. $2M in Greenwich won't get you much and you'd have to settle for a tiny yard but it is extremely close to New York City and the beaches/shopping are fantastic. Fairfield is great as a middle-of-the-road suburban community with a fairly sizable shopping area. Guilford is more of a classic New England town with big lawns and small town charm; shopping would be done in Madison, Clinton, and (a little bit down the line) New Haven.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Since you're only looking at the coastline and want easy access to shopping & good schools, I would recommend Greenwich, Fairfield, and Guilford. $2M in Greenwich won't get you much and you'd have to settle for a tiny yard but it is extremely close to New York City and the beaches/shopping are fantastic. Fairfield is great as a middle-of-the-road suburban community with a fairly sizable shopping area. Guilford is more of a classic New England town with big lawns and small town charm; shopping would be done in Madison, Clinton, and (a little bit down the line) New Haven.
Why not Madison? Beaches are better and it's not much further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut