Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
I've posted several times before about questions re: Westport and Fairfield, but we are now expanding our house search to Trumbull. It's amazing how much of a better/bigger house we can get in Trumbull vs. Fairfield for the same price.
Trumbull to Stamford commute?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Fairfield has more charm then Trumbull which to me is very suburban in character. Fairfield has a long and deep history with picture perfect Town Green, Southport Harbor and Greenfield Hill. It is home to two major universities, one of the largest corporations in the world (GE) and has a wider range of homes. In Fairfield you can find a modest starter apartment or a stunning multi-million dollar estate plus just about everything in between. In addition to this and the other things mentioned by others here, Fairfield is just considered more desirable. Still Trumbull is a great town too. Only you can decide if Fairfield is worth it or not. Jay

Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Westport's restaurant scene never impressed me.
To date myself, I remember when the restaurant/bar scene in Westport was the best in the state. Not sure how it changed over the years but I have heard others note the same thing. Could just be the natural cycle of business. Jay

Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM

48 posts, read 91,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Trumbull to Stamford commute?

I do this commute daily, some days it can take 45 minutes and other days (like yesterday) it can take 2 hours. I plan on a solid hour every day taking the merritt to exit 35 in Stamford. Of course, I dont get on the merritt until exit 44 in fairfield because the stretch from 48-44 is a parking lot daily.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To date myself, I remember when the restaurant/bar scene in Westport was the best in the state.
My memory of Westport's restaurant "scene". LOL.

Beefsteak charlie classic tv commercial - YouTube

Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees28 View Post
I do this commute daily, some days it can take 45 minutes and other days (like yesterday) it can take 2 hours. I plan on a solid hour every day taking the merritt to exit 35 in Stamford. Of course, I dont get on the merritt until exit 44 in fairfield because the stretch from 48-44 is a parking lot daily.
Shhhh! Nobody needs to know about Old Town and Jefferson and Congress.

Is it just me, or do you also think that "We Transport" has the dumbest, most oblivious school bus drivers out there? The driver doing pickups on Old Town in Trumbull is going to get punched by some driver(not me) one day.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Westport has a decent restaurant scene, but also has a lot of overpriced duds. LeFarm and the Whelk are 2 of the best restaurants in the state, and easily Westport's claim to fame. Having a Batali restaurant (Tarry Lodge) doesn't hurt either. Other than those, it's hit or miss at best. You can't get a decent non-gourmet pizza to save your life, and casual eating options are horribly limited.

I personally think Fairfield has a vastly superior restaurant scene. Maybe it's the lower rent that allows more inventive and inexpensive options to flourish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Mmmm...Dressing Room...yes please!
I keep hearing this, but I've tried it 3 times and found it 1. bland, 2. overpriced for the measly portions, 3. snotty service. I personally feel LeFarm is not only better, but in a whole 'nother league. Also, Blue Lemon is one of the worst "upscale" restaurants I've ever been to.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
I personally actually prefer Westport to Fairfield, and while Trumbull is very nice, it seems to lack the amenities & walkable characteristics of the other towns.
Seems as if your preferences also follow real estate prices.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM

284 posts, read 531,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Seems as if your preferences also follow real estate prices.
Haha, very true! Guess I'm not as special or original as I thought

Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
My memory of Westport's restaurant "scene". LOL.

Beefsteak charlie classic tv commercial - YouTube
Beefsteak Charlies!!! Oh yeah! I was spoiled many a time.

Also don't forget the Peppermill. Both great steak and salad bar restaurants. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut