U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM

91 posts, read 40,516 times
I grew up in Watertown and would definately say it's worth a look. It's got (or had) a little more of a working class vibe to it than Southbury/Middlebury/Woodbury, which we always thought were the money towns growing up. There are lots of fairly new housing developments in Watertown, as well. I do like the idea of Cheshire, though, because it is on the eastern side of Waterbury and it's easier to get to Hartford and New Haven from that side of Waterbury.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM

7,888 posts, read 8,669,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
I grew up in Watertown and would definately say it's worth a look. It's got (or had) a little more of a working class vibe to it than Southbury/Middlebury/Woodbury, which we always thought were the money towns growing up.
I was up in Watertown a bit this year and i really liked it. However, i don't think the schools are quite up to the level that the OP is seeking. That's not to say they're "bad", just that "affordable" towns in CT that border a city tend to see their scores dragged down a bit due to new students entering the system from a deficient city school district(i.e: Hartford/Waterbury/New Haven/Bridgeport/etc.). I also love Woodbury and Middlebury, but they're a bit removed from conveniences, IMHO. Wolcott appears to have "good" schools and has better accessibility, so i would add it to the OP's list.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 PM

91 posts, read 40,516 times
Private or Catholic schools!

I was going to suggest Wolcott as well. Although depending on where in Wolcott, you could end up basically in Bristol. Harwington? Thomaston?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,514,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
Private or Catholic schools!

I was going to suggest Wolcott as well. Although depending on where in Wolcott, you could end up basically in Bristol. Harwington? Thomaston?
Why are you recommending these towns? For $425k, why would the OP choose a less than desirable town with worse schools over a nicer town with better schools, and a better commute? Makes no sense.

Personally, I would never live in Thomaston, especially with the OPs price range. It has almost a deserted feel, and is a little economically depressed. Harwinton is pretty far out.

OP - stick to Southbury, Middlebury or Oxford, and maybe Cheshire if you don't mind a little 84 traffic each day.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 AM

326 posts, read 333,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortRyan View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to get out there and look. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area near Heritage Inn?
Check out Maggie McFly's for decent, cheap food. Its in Southbury right off exit 14. From the Heritage Inn just get to Main Street South and head west. You'll see it. There are also tons of good choices in Waterbury. Diorio on Bank Street is amazing but pricey.

As for a place to live, I grew up in Middlebury and went to school there. I would move back there in a second if I had a family and the budget for it.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 AM

7,888 posts, read 8,669,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Check out Maggie McFly's for decent, cheap food. Its in Southbury right off exit 14. From the Heritage Inn just get to Main Street South and head west. You'll see it. There are also tons of good choices in Waterbury. Diorio on Bank Street is amazing but pricey.

As for a place to live, I grew up in Middlebury and went to school there. I would move back there in a second if I had a family and the budget for it.
Just wanted to note that the Heritage Inn is located in New Milford. The Heritage Hotel is in Southbury.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM

252 posts, read 187,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortRyan View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to get out there and look. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the area near Heritage Inn?
Leo's Restaurant is located in Middlebury & Southbury....great place for breakfast/lunch.

I would also recommend the Rathskeller Restaurant in Southbury for lunch/dinner.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM

612 posts, read 646,305 times
I second Leo's---delicious and reasonably priced

Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM

326 posts, read 333,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Just wanted to note that the Heritage Inn is located in New Milford. The Heritage Hotel is in Southbury.
When I was 17 I worked at the Timbers Restaurant in the Heritage Inn in Southbury. I had no idea they changed the name. My bad.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:47 PM

33 posts, read 18,642 times
Sorry! We're staying at Heritage Hotel in Southbury. By the way, how are Newtown and Shelton? Worth the extra travel time?

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut