Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM

442 posts, read 455,640 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
My external harddrive is no longer accessible. There is a lot of data on it, not very important, just time consuming to put together in one location again.

Does anyone know of a reliable data retrieval company that is not too expensive?

Thanks in advance!

El
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

83,507 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Hi all.
My external harddrive is no longer accessible. There is a lot of data on it, not very important, just time consuming to put together in one location again.

Does anyone know of a reliable data retrieval company that is not too expensive?

Thanks in advance!

El
Best Buy. Walk up to the Geek Squad desk and they'll take care of you. Make sure you dont have personal info on there like passwords, SS#s, ect

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Best Buy. Walk up to the Geek Squad desk and they'll take care of you. Make sure you dont have personal info on there like passwords, SS#s, ect
Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,428,667 times
I had a terrible exprience with geeksquad doing that for me earlier this year. I would find a local person or company to do it for you

Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I had a terrible exprience with geeksquad doing that for me earlier this year. I would find a local person or company to do it for you
That's what I did. I asked family who they'd recommend and I got someone local to do it. It was about 300 dollars.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,428,667 times
Good for you. Geeksquad basically lied to me and took them about a month to resolve it. I ended up basically getting the entire service done for free. Since then my computer has basically not been the same,but I do have all of files.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Good for you. Geeksquad basically lied to me and took them about a month to resolve it. I ended up basically getting the entire service done for free. Since then my computer has basically not been the same,but I do have all of files.
Wow. A month? That is crazy. I had mine the next day.

Thanks again for your experience.

El

Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 PM

83,507 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
That's what I did. I asked family who they'd recommend and I got someone local to do it. It was about 300 dollars.

Thanks for the tip!
. Isn't a new hardrive a 1/4 of that cost?? Did you get the files that you couldnt get before? It's not that time consuming since all you have to do is hook up a USB from each unit to the computer and just drag all the files over. But if he was able to recover missing files, thats different.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM

281 posts, read 345,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
. Isn't a new hardrive a 1/4 of that cost?? Did you get the files that you couldnt get before? It's not that time consuming since all you have to do is hook up a USB from each unit to the computer and just drag all the files over. But if he was able to recover missing files, thats different.
I have an HD that crashed a few years ago. When I looked into retrieving the files (after trying the freezing method) all the references pointed to it costing a few hundred dollars. I still have the HD and am just waiting til I have a few hundreds dollars burning a hole in my pocket. Mostly music files that I'd like to have, nothing important that I really need.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:15 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,286 times
Where do you live? Had a good experience with Greenwich Computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut